Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 4100 spool issue and 4600 recommendation  (Read 474 times)

mfrohman

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 111
Canon 4100 spool issue and 4600 recommendation
« on: August 22, 2024, 01:08:49 am »

So I purchased a Canon 4100 3 years ago, after about 8 years running HP z3200s. The Canon has been a very nice printer until recently. The past 6 months I've been dealing with an issue of increasingly frequent paper jams.

I figured out the issue was the little plastic gear at the end of the spool is slipping as it mates with the gear inside the printer (I think it's called the 'active roll brake unit').
So the printer's gear grinds down the spool gear and eventually it doesn't catch and won't load the paper at all. I've ordered 2 new spools ($200 a pop) and it takes about 3 months to grind them down. No one else seems to have this issue.

Canon recommends their $1500 service call. I also need a new printhead ($700). I miss being able to work on my z3200!

I thought the canon would last more than 3 years but since I'm almost halfway to the cost of a new printer, I'm considering it might make more financial sense to purchase a new printer. It seems so wasteful though.

Does anyone have a preferred printer seller? Is there any difference between buying direct from canon, a local dealer, or online seller? No one seems to offer much in the way of additional services. I'm just curious if anyone has any thoughts. I wasn't planning on purchasing a new printer this year so Im just thinking through it.

thanks!

Logged
2 x HP Z3200, Canon 4100, Epson p-800

mearussi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 805
Re: Canon 4100 spool issue and 4600 recommendation
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2024, 01:25:45 pm »

When my 8400 finally died I bought the 4600 from itsupplies as they were running a special at the time.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up