This is from the Epson Io Group. I tried to send the link but it requires the recipient being a member. This is from a friend Walker Blackwell , a highly regarded fine art printmaker for the last 23 years or so. He’s tech specialist and ink developer etc. He has the new Canon 60” and sent us his test results. I just copied and pasted part of it
In the end it gets into lots of dmax measurements of tons of papers. By the way he likes the 6600 but there are issues, as you can read below.
I will depart from Walker on two points. It seems to me the comments he’s making also about Epson printers are
not about the 9570 with it’s particular software and firmware and two level head design. He doesn’t have access to a 9570 or 7570.
There are no bronzing or gloss differential residual effects on Platine with the 9570.( there was with the P9000 and earlier.) Platine is my favorite most used paper and neutral bw on these printers is nothing short of amazing with zero issues. I’ve also had perfect gloss rendition on the HP Z3200, but not my old Canon. The second is dither. I will believe it when I see it that Canon is capable of the 9570 dither at unidirectional! Again he’s not been testing the new LF Epsons, if even the P900.
Again, I’m not knocking the 4600. For that price and the performance and real durability, full set of 350 ml inks right now the 4600 is a steal, as long as they don’t have issues down the line that we are unaware of. That would be rare for Canon. They have a history of no headaches.
——————————————————————
Quote:
Canon 6600 update. There’s good and there’s bad like every printer. I’m going to give you my non-gloss-optimized opinion.
Attached below is a raw un-smoothed LAB 128 patch test (MO measured) from abw mode in Standard contrast neutral toning on Canson Platine (admittedly an old sheet I pulled out of a flat file). Platine has always been my problem-child for gloss optimizer. Photos of the 6600 bronzing in ABW mode below: not great Bob. I also included a screenshot of a target luminance contrast (green line low on left, high on right) and measured luminannce (blue line). Standard mode ABW on the Canon 6600 is very light and in-general Epson ABW and Canon ABW are way off as far as Luminance/contrast screen-to-print-match. That is easily overcome with a bit of math though . . .
At any rate, there is still a lot that canon needs to do to make the GCO work well on non-baryta gloss papers like Platine. We put a ton of energy into Piezography GCO to work better on these papers but I can’t imagine having to do this without the ability to add resin (because it’s a thermo head not a piezo head, it can’t print with that type of encapsulation). Seems like an incredibly hard engineering challenge to me.
That said, the baryta and poly gloss papers work exceptionally well and I have had really no issues with gloss bronzing on color prints. The over-all dither quality is BETTER than epson too now. I know that is crazy but I see no dots in highest quality unidirectional mode (it’s also a slower print than highest quality epson so that’s a caveat).
Over-all I think for straight monochrome, Piezography Pro is still king for gloss and matte fine art printing, but for a 60" monochrome gloss print (baryta paper) or 60” color gloss print I would go with this printer hands-down. Having the white of the paper = the gloss of the ink is critical to matching c-print or silver level uniformity in my opinion.
I guess I can start testing with Ergosoft at some point. This should allow me to increase the GCO behind its prescribed amount. In the case of Piezo, doing this helped eliminate that red bronzing from peaking out.
Another big thing here is the lights I use (GVM grids) will show bronzing way more than regular gallery lights or window light . . . so what you see below is the worst paper and worst light for bronzing.
///
On another note, I am severely disappointed with the matte black dmax. First print was L* 14.4 on a cheap paper. After running a lot of black it went all the way to L* 18. This is a critically f*cked thing and could potentially doom the entire canon market for this type of printer permanently if not addressed. Honestly, if they don’t address it with me and other adopters promptly, they could well deserve to exit the market with a little fart wiff and nobody would miss them. I will print out maybe 100mL of this expensive ink next week and see if it settles down into a somewhat reasonable density. If not I may have to use some other ink in the MK channel. But for real, in 2024 it’s like missing the ball and hitting the umpire smack in the face.
quote author=NAwlins_Contrarian link=topic=143780.msg1260253#msg1260253 date=1720290612]
Can you post and/or cite to some evidence for this claim? Because I'm a bit skeptical that there's much difference. High-quality, really comparable data is difficult to find, but there are some that I consider reasonably relevant to the issue of Dmax on matte papers from Keith Cooper, who I regard as quite knowledgeable and reliable.
Canon Pro-2000
Pinnacle Velvet 275gsm Dmax 1.663
https://www.northlight-images.co.uk/canon-imageprograf-pro-2000-printer-review/Canon Pro-1000
Canon Fine Art Photo Rag Dmax 1.662
https://www.northlight-images.co.uk/canon-pro-1000-printer-review/Epson P5300 / P5370
Hahnemuhle natural line Hemp paper 1.661
https://www.northlight-images.co.uk/epson-sc-p5300-printer-review/Yes, I realize that those two Canons use the prior-generation inkset relative to the Pro-4600, but I haven't seen any claim, much less credible evidence, that Dmax has gotten worse. Yes, I realize the P5300 / P5370 uses a slightly different inkset from the P9750, but I haven't seen any claim, much less credible evidence, that Dmax varies much between them. Yes, those are three different papers, and Dmax probably varies a little from one to the other.
So I'd welcome better data, but I remain skeptical of the claim.
[/quote]