Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Laptop Screen that rivals Eizo/NEC?  (Read 265 times)

Brad P

Laptop Screen that rivals Eizo/NEC?
« on: June 08, 2024, 12:31:42 am »

Are the laptop manufactures of the best screens and color management workflow ASUS ProArt Studio 16, MSI Creator, and Apple MacBook Pro 16 in that order?  That’s what I’m coming to believe after a few days researching.

As background, I’m looking to bypass my PC for 90 percent of my workflow with my next laptop purchase.  Screen quality to me is by far the most important factor in my decision tree. 

I have a still excellent 31” older NEC display for final screen proofs and brand new Canon 44” wide format printer.  I’m looking to match that hardware in quality.  I’m leaning toward the Apple for quality reasons, but it apparently only produces 94% (?) Adobe RGB.  ASUS seems better from a screen point of view.  Their screen overall seems higher quality and it’s a touch screen (!).  On the downside, ASUS’s battery life is short, it runs hot, and it’s not an Apple.  I know little about MSI but I see their 17” Creator produces all of Adobe RGB (they say) and it has good reviews.

Separately, high nit value and little color distortion with increasing nits is also very important. I have yet to see someone come up with a framework for measuring that, so I’ll just mention that.

I’m PC/Apple ambidextrous so that doesn’t matter.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2024, 12:53:44 am by Brad P »

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Re: Laptop Screen that rivals Eizo/NEC?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2024, 05:22:55 am »

Are the laptop manufactures of the best screens and color management workflow ASUS ProArt Studio 16, MSI Creator, and Apple MacBook Pro 16 in that order?  That’s what I’m coming to believe after a few days researching.

As background, I’m looking to bypass my PC for 90 percent of my workflow with my next laptop purchase.  Screen quality to me is by far the most important factor in my decision tree. 

I have a still excellent 31” older NEC display for final screen proofs and brand new Canon 44” wide format printer.  I’m looking to match that hardware in quality.  I’m leaning toward the Apple for quality reasons, but it apparently only produces 94% (?) Adobe RGB.  ASUS seems better from a screen point of view.  Their screen overall seems higher quality and it’s a touch screen (!).  On the downside, ASUS’s battery life is short, it runs hot, and it’s not an Apple.  I know little about MSI but I see their 17” Creator produces all of Adobe RGB (they say) and it has good reviews.

Separately, high nit value and little color distortion with increasing nits is also very important. I have yet to see someone come up with a framework for measuring that, so I’ll just mention that.

I’m PC/Apple ambidextrous so that doesn’t matter.

What do you think?

I also have NEC PA311D, Macbook Pro 16 M1 and 44" Canon - MBP 16 has jaw dropping quality, on pair with any other color critical display, and muuuuch better in HDR content.

The gamut difference is virtually irrelevant - it is almost indistinguishable in reality, and only in supersaturated colors that almost never occur in real life photos.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Brad P

Re: Laptop Screen that rivals Eizo/NEC?
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2024, 03:38:03 pm »

Thanks for the input, Marcin. That gives me some confidence I’m on the right track.
Pages: [1]   Go Up