Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ferry wake abstracts (4 shots) + 3 more  (Read 476 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Ferry wake abstracts (4 shots) + 3 more
« on: May 22, 2024, 04:04:10 pm »

About a month ago, we took a short break over to the Isle of Harris, for me to take some shots of the standing stones during a spring full moon rising - but more on that later in another post perhaps...

Yet on the way into harbour on Harris at Tarbet, the sea was sort of calm(ish) but not fully mirror like. So as the ferry began to slow down and work its way through the water into the ferry terminal, the wake it was creating, began to create some really lovely abstract patterns. So me being me and already standing in the right place at the back of the boat, with my 70/200 mounted and hoping that this would happen, I started to shoot the hell out of it.

Here are 4 of my wake abstract shots, but I have more and all completely different and all taken within a ten to fifteen minute period.

I got the shot of the Standing stones during a full moonrise by the way and it was just how I hoped it would be  ;D

Dave
« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 06:08:28 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Re: Ferry wake abstracts (4 shots)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2024, 12:42:03 am »

Excellent, I love these! Looking forward to your moon shot too!
-MattB

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2024, 06:09:56 am »

Lovely shots, Dave. Coincidentally, I tried wake shots when I was on a workshop in New Zealand last year (with the excellent Jackie Ranken and Mike Longmore). Here, without hijacking your thread, is one of them. I'd never have thought of hand-holding while using a 10-stop ND filter without Jackie's suggestion!

Jeremy

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2024, 03:27:15 pm »

Excellent, I love these! Looking forward to your moon shot too!

Thanks Matt - I will wait for a little while before uploading the moon shot though, as I am currently writing about that shot and several others, from my recent photo tour across the Isles of Harris and Lewis, for the next chapter in my mini guide series - that I am adding (for free) onto my website by the way, if anyone is interested and which you can find by clicking on the link below  ::)

So not long, but not just yet.  ;)

Lovely shots, Dave. Coincidentally, I tried wake shots when I was on a workshop in New Zealand last year (with the excellent Jackie Ranken and Mike Longmore). Here, without hijacking your thread, is one of them. I'd never have thought of hand-holding while using a 10-stop ND filter without Jackie's suggestion!

Jeremy

Hijack away Jeremy. The more the merrier I say and yes, that really is a cracking shot you have there :)

Dave

francois

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2024, 04:35:05 am »

Great additional shots. Those wake abstracts are mesmerizing, fascinating. Jeremy's photo is more energetic but an excellent companion for Dave's abstracts.
Francois

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2024, 06:05:55 am »

Great additional shots. Those wake abstracts are mesmerizing, fascinating. Jeremy's photo is more energetic but an excellent companion for Dave's abstracts.

Thanks Francois  ;) and if you like them, then here are a couple more from the same shoot  ;D

Dave

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: Ferry wake abstracts (4 shots) + 3 more
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2024, 11:45:08 pm »

Interesting series.

francois

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2024, 05:57:29 am »

Thank you Dave. Yes, I do like them a lot!  :)
Francois

Michael West

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2024, 07:16:35 pm »

About a month ago, we took a short break over to the Isle of Harris, for me to take some shots of the standing stones during a spring full moon rising - but more on that later in another post perhaps...

Yet on the way into harbour on Harris at Tarbet, the sea was sort of calm(ish) but not fully mirror like. So as the ferry began to slow down and work its way through the water into the ferry terminal, the wake it was creating, began to create some really lovely abstract patterns. So me being me and already standing in the right place at the back of the boat, with my 70/200 mounted and hoping that this would happen, I started to shoot the hell out of it.

Here are 4 of my wake abstract shots, but I have more and all completely different and all taken within a ten to fifteen minute period.

I got the shot of the Standing stones during a full moonrise by the way and it was just how I hoped it would be  ;D

Dave
im fining the first of the series most engaging!!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2024, 04:27:10 pm »

Jeremy

Can you post it in a separate thread, please? I have a question, but do not want to hijack Dave's thread.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2024, 08:52:44 am »

Can you post it in a separate thread, please? I have a question, but do not want to hijack Dave's thread.

Done: see here.

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up