Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eyewear/ Reading glasses for color correcting?  (Read 752 times)

narikin

Eyewear/ Reading glasses for color correcting?
« on: May 09, 2024, 10:25:05 am »

Hopefully not too off topic, but: the eyes are getting older, and find myself craning neck forward to check details on my 4k NEC Spectraview. Time for some gentle (+1, +1.25) readers for daily work.

Anyone got a recommendation?

Amazon is full of 'reading glasses' boasting blue-light cutting lenses, so they have a slight yellow tint. Worries me that's not so good for color critical work?

I'm thinking bigger lenses/ frames, not some narrow professor type nose-balancers!

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Eyewear/ Reading glasses for color correcting?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2024, 11:53:31 am »

My eye doctor uses his prescription to tailor make a set of computer glasses precisely for the task without any tint. That works. 
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2024, 12:07:24 pm »

Hopefully not too off topic, but: the eyes are getting older, and find myself craning neck forward to check details on my 4k NEC Spectraview. Time for some gentle (+1, +1.25) readers for daily work.

Amazon is full of 'reading glasses' boasting blue-light cutting lenses, so they have a slight yellow tint. Worries me that's not so good for color critical work?

I'm thinking bigger lenses/ frames, not some narrow professor type nose-balancers!

Most pharmacies have a display of reading glasses that you can try on.

Kyle D Jackson

• Lone Leaf Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2024, 12:45:24 pm »

Hi, I'm similar to Andrew, I have prescrip glasses and doc specified no blue-light filter at my request (their understandable default recommendation) when I mentioned concern about colour accuracy.

I have both a "computer" set and a "reading" set, the main difference being their focal distance (working distance "WD"). It took some trail and error to get the WD dialled in for me -- working with large monitors wide-aspect (sometimes multiple) is a very different visual task than a regular small-ish desktop monitor or laptop screen. I gave them my actual viewing distance from eye to centre screen for my setup and then we evaluated different focal distances for the lenses. (I forget at the moment where I ended up, around 50 cm WD I think.)

Also they recommended multifocal lenses so that I could focus on screen, reading items, and even distance with one pair. It makes sense but it simply did not work out for me. The usable zone for the screen was very small, pretty much dead ahead only, and the sides of the lenses were completely unusable. So with large screens it required changing from continual eye movements to look around the screen real estate, to complete *head* movements. So that ended quickly lol. It's single-focal lenses only for me. But your mileage may vary. I'd still say try them if recommended, just be prepared they may not work out.

Edit: Oh PS, I also have a cheap drugstore pair I use for general use. My prescrip glasses are really dialled in for sharp focus but have no distance vision (very shallow depth of field), whereas the simple drugstore readers give me reasonable distance vision for general use. I use them for things like printer maintenance work, etc.

Kyle D Jackson
Ottawa, Canada
Lone Leaf Photography

narikin

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2024, 01:17:37 pm »

Thanks.

Hard to find non-blue light filtering readers online - it defaults to those understandably.

I've found some non-blue ones to give a try (below). They don't have to be tough, or even 'attractive'. So long as I don't look ridiculous, and have my wife file for divorce, it will be fine. Just want something neutral color that I can look around the screen in resonable detail, without developing bad posture from hunching forward, or neck/ back strain.

https://www.peepers.com/products/brain-trust?variant=12917621127

If these don't work, I'll head to my ophthalmologist for custom script ones ($$)

Kyle D Jackson

• Lone Leaf Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2024, 11:40:57 am »

It might be worth a checkup with doc anyhow, even if you don't buy prescription glasses after (which tends to be the $$ part, thank you luxotica monopoly). They can at least give you your prescription details and suggest which X power to buy from the generic ones. They can also demonstrate what you might be missing between prescription vs non by putting those lenses in front of your eyes to see the difference. For some people it might not be much difference, it really depends on your eyes. (If it is, then eye-strain induced headaches can become a major health issue...)

Kyle D Jackson
Ottawa, Canada
Lone Leaf Photography

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2024, 11:11:54 am »

Blue light filters are complete marketing BS, and all they can do is make you sleep while working.

https://www.aao.org/eye-health/tips-prevention/are-computer-glasses-worth-it
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

BAB

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2024, 04:25:20 pm »

My eye doctor uses his prescription to tailor make a set of computer glasses precisely for the task without any tint. That works.

Try a pair of reading large frame glasses with a 20-26" distance from Amazon first they will work fine then if needed have a custom pair made. your eyes will adjust to the color so what you see is what you get with or without correction. My advise is to hand off the critical color grading to someone other than yourself its just a perception anyway everyone sees color diffrently!
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2024, 04:31:34 pm »

Try a pair of reading large frame glasses with a 20-26" distance from Amazon first they will work fine then if needed have a custom pair made. your eyes will adjust to the color so what you see is what you get with or without correction. My advise is to hand off the critical color grading to someone other than yourself its just a perception anyway everyone sees color diffrently!
Again: my set of computer glasses work precisely for the task.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

TonyW

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2024, 03:13:52 pm »

If you are getting older you may not need blue light cutting lenses, Cataracts will cut out the blue as they will have a yellow tint  :o ??? ;D
OK a bit tongue in cheek sorry  ;)

FWIW, and having said that, my experience a few years ago demonstrated the phenomena quite clearly. I had to have surgery for a narrowing blockage in both eyes.  Surgeon said that I had signs of cataracts and could either elect to just leave until needing attention or have the cataract surgery which would solve the other problem.  Went ahead with the surgery one eye at a time.  I was shocked after my first surgery to see that the untreated eye displayed a yellow cast where the treated eye  showed 'normal'.  If put on the spot D50 right eye D65 left  ;D

Kyle D Jackson

• Lone Leaf Photography
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2024, 10:34:26 am »

I was shocked after my first surgery to see that the untreated eye displayed a yellow cast where the treated eye  showed 'normal'.  If put on the spot D50 right eye D65 left  ;D

Dual-illuminant compatible!!  :D
Kyle D Jackson
Ottawa, Canada
Lone Leaf Photography

PhilipCummins

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2024, 01:49:47 am »

I'd get a professional script from an optometrist to get your eyes checked to see if there's anything more than presbyopia and make some suggestions for what you might need. I can recommend the Hoya Workstyle V+ Screen lenses for computer use (see here) if you use the computer daily (ie 4 hrs+ a day) for simpler use cases, no specific need to get Blue Light filtering as typically you can customise your monitor to reduce the Blue Light levels to what you prefer or turn it off as needed (and some solutions didn't seem to block a significant amount of Blue Light to make a large difference when I measured).
Pages: [1]   Go Up