Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clarification on B&H Discount  (Read 1730 times)

John Hollenberg

Clarification on B&H Discount
« on: January 04, 2024, 01:22:31 pm »

Article on Fuji 100X says that "As LuLa members, we get a 15% on gear purchases and rentals. Use code:" and then gives a code.  However, there is nowhere to enter that code on the B&H web site when ordering gear.  What am I missing?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Clarification on B&H Discount
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2024, 02:35:43 pm »

I suspect this is what the discount refers to:

P.S. I doubt B&H would give a 15% discount for new equipment to anyone.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2024, 04:52:04 pm »

I suspect this is what the discount refers to:

P.S. I doubt B&H would give a 15% discount for new equipment to anyone.

Makes sense.  Very poorly worded, doesn't refer to lensrentals, but instead follows immediately after a link to B&H.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2024, 10:08:47 am »

Makes sense.  Very poorly worded, doesn't refer to lensrentals, but instead follows immediately after a link to B&H.

FWIW, B&H does have their "Playboo" credit card which rebates your state sales tax for any purchase.

swindy

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2024, 10:54:31 am »

Hello! 

Yeah no B&H discount - tried and tried!  The are going to help us with gear reviews.  They are an affiliate so it does help the site.  Their deal is if we pan a piece of gear that we not post about it.

A roundup of discounts is coming.  I've wondered about pursuing other retaliers like adorama for discounts. 

Thanks -

Swindy

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2024, 11:47:44 am »

Hello! 

Their deal is if we pan a piece of gear that we not post about it.

Swindy

Eh, what?

So if there is piece of gear on the market that is being sold by B&H and you, or whoever reviews it on Lula and thinks it is no good, defective, or overpriced etc., then you are not going to publish that article, because of sponsorship???

Most of us on here pay to be part of this site, so surely an honest opinion for paying members, is something that should be seen as a worthwhile thing and count for something.

Also, if I buy a piece of kit and find it is flawed in some way and then freely give my opinion/review of it on the forum, suggesting that people should avoid it. Will my post be removed or censored at the behest of B&H, or any other sponsors of the site that don't like what I have said?

Sorry Swindy, not trying to be annoying here for the sake of it, but shouldn't an honest review of equipment be absolutely paramount? Especially for a site with a pay wall.

I know you have to make money through ads and pay the bills etc, but if everything you write (or we discuss on the forum) can be censored or removed, by outside forces without explanation. Then what is the point?

If gear is not up to scratch for whatever reason, then surely we all need to know about it? And yes, I even include B&H in that.

In fact I am already wondering, if this post will be removed just for pointing this out  :o

Dave
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 03:08:46 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

gchappel

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 11:05:16 am »

At least they are open, that any and all reviews here in the future are essentially sponsored. 
I will thus be ignoring them.
I see fewer and fewer reasons to continue to pay to read the drivel here. 
The forums are still great- but slow. 
I will give the new leadership awhile to right this sunken ship--- but they are not off to a great start.
gary

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2024, 01:39:33 pm »

Their deal is if we pan a piece of gear that we not post about it.
So your reviews (now biased by B&H) are now free?
Most of us on here pay to be part of this site, so surely an honest opinion for paying members, is something that should be seen as a worthwhile thing and count for something.
'Right on.
For about two decades, I wrote many equipment reviews for PEI mag and Professional Photographer. Never was I told to bias my reviews based on the mag's advertising.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

swindy

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2024, 12:33:37 pm »

Hello!  

Thank you so much for caring about what we're doing around here at Luminous Landscape.   It's important to me and others as well that we put out value for everyone.

Reviews will be honest, independent, and personal.  

I wish B&H was sponsoring us!!  I've always used them professionally and thought of them first.  We're using them as a resource.

I asked B&H if we could get gear to review and they said  we could review ANY gear we request and they'll give it to us for a period of time to review.   We've got our first request in now.   Let us know if there's something we should review you really want us too.  

I wanted folks to know  our deal with B&H so if someone clicks and buys from our hyperlink we get a small commission that helps support our cause.  We take requests for reviews as well.  

As for reviews – they're all independently written.  We will let you know if it's sponsored.  We welcome member reviews and insights.  If folks disagree with a review - that's great - please add your voice to the conversation in the forum.  

We want to encourage conversation - we're free to say what we want about gear.  

Our approach to reviews - we're gonna give all relevant Pros and Cons for whatever product it is and say who it's good for.  We will let you know whether we think it's worth it for us.

If we got a piece of gear from B&H and it's terrible, we will say something like yeah it's for not for us here at Lula but we suggest it for a different audience and we'll be honest where it fits in the market.  

We don't feel we have any editorial constraints in our reporting and we'll ask forgiveness later if we've cramped their style.

I am thankful we have members that care.  Thanks for your patience with me responding - lots of projects going on.  

Thanks!

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2024, 02:51:46 pm »

Hello! 

Thank you so much for caring about what we're doing around here at Luminous Landscape.   It's important to me and others as well that we put out value for everyone.

Reviews will be honest, independent, and personal. 

If we got a piece of gear from B&H and it's terrible, we will say something like yeah it's for not for us here at Lula but we suggest it for a different audience and we'll be honest where it fits in the market. 

We don't feel we have any editorial constraints in our reporting and we'll ask forgiveness later if we've cramped their style.

I am thankful we have members that care.  Thanks for your patience with me responding - lots of projects going on. 

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply swindy, and yes that sounds more like the answer we all want to hear  ;)

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up