Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji GFX compared to Sony FE when printing big, but not that big  (Read 622 times)

Arcimboldo

Fuji GFX compared to Sony FE when printing big, but not that big
« on: November 22, 2023, 05:09:12 am »

Triggered by Dan Wells' article here on Fujifilm's new products, namely the GFX 100 II and in particular the new tilt-shift lenses (am a sucker for those, I worked with a 4x5 for 20 years), I (once again) took a look at the current state of the system and at the sample images from the GFX 100 II on the Fujifilm site. Currently, I'm using a Sony FE system, and I print with an Epson SC-P7500, usually to 60 cm x 75 cm (about 24" x 30"). Do you people feel that I would see a difference from the GFX with that print size? Or would I have to go to at least 40"x30" or even bigger to start to notice? (Dan seems to have a 44" printer.)

From downloading and printing that elephant image (seems to be the best in the lot and have been taken with the 250 + TC 1.4x), I feel that the GFX system won't make a difference to me with that print size, even when considering that I have to crop more to arrive at the desired aspect ratio. Of course, I'm not able to compare basically the same images taken with both the GFX and the Sony, so it's a bit of guess work. What do you think?

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Re: Fuji GFX compared to Sony FE when printing big, but not that big
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2023, 07:57:53 am »

I have idled with that exact same question.  I use almost all of the Canon T/S lenses with Sony (50/60MP) and from the examples I've seen the 30mm Fuji outpaces the 24mm Canon, not surprising given it's age.

Fortunately I talked myself out of it but if not then I'd go the route of renting the body.  I'd have to use another of their regular lenses to compare as I don't think the 30mm T/S will be available for a while, but my test would be for the GFX system, not the lens in particular which I can see from the reviews and posts so far easily meets quality my criteria.

If you're in the US then Lens Rentals (and maybe others) rent out the GFX cameras and lenses.  I've not printed any of the example images, I think I'd really want to compare identical scenes I photographed with the 2 different systems at the same time.

Arcimboldo

Re: Fuji GFX compared to Sony FE when printing big, but not that big
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2023, 04:03:26 pm »

Unfortunately, in Germany there seems to be no company as well stocked as LensRentals - Calumet, for example, just has the GFX 50S to rent, and the lens collection also leaves room for improvement.
Pages: [1]   Go Up