Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Microsoft Edge and the Z3200 printer drivers  (Read 427 times)

Ernst Dinkla

Microsoft Edge and the Z3200 printer drivers
« on: November 09, 2023, 08:48:28 am »

For as long as I could I resisted the change from Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge on my Windows 10 system. Internet Explorer is used by the driver and HP PU to show pages collected from the printer itself and more. I knew that the Z3200 printer drivers and HP Printer Utility would get into trouble if it ever happened,  So yesterday It happened..... I doubt that you can have them working with IE mode on Microsoft Edge, first of all there is limitation in time for that mode and secondly I do not know the page URLs that are called by the driver and Utility to set them in IE mode of Edge. I have two Z3200's and I see that they are even mixed up in some ways by Edge. Sure with Chrome I can look for some basic data pages in the printers but that is not enough.

Driver print preview on both Z3200's, the PS and Photo version, will not show or with blank pages and the printer data not transferred to the printer. The Z3200PS will run if no preview is selected, the Photo version still not.  A long time ago I did not use preview but since Qimage Ultimate has more driver settings integration, things can go wrong, for example 44" roll loaded on the printer and the driver still thinks 36" loaded. Carefully nested images in landscape mode land somewhere else, that only shows in the printer driver preview page or on the paper itself !

In short I can use Windows 7 on an older slower machine that I kept as a backup for situations like this but there is a risk even that machine will be Edged out by Microsoft. I see there are ways to prevent the installation of Edge but no remedy for getting rid of it once installed. Anyone with a solution?

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

Kyle D Jackson

• Lone Leaf Photography
Re: Microsoft Edge and the Z3200 printer drivers
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2024, 08:22:20 pm »

Hi Ernst, I realize you posted this a few months ago, but are you still having issues with it? Was it working before and then something changed one day?

I use Windows 10 (x64) and Edge has been on my PC a long time. (I don't use it tho, I use Firefox for browsing.) The HP Utility still works okay, and pages in it that use a browser still open in Edge. When I print from Photoshop it uses the HP driver and the print preview works okay.

I can also access the printer's EWS okay via IP address, but I use Firefox for that.

Kyle D Jackson
Ottawa, Canada
Lone Leaf Photography

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2024, 06:40:41 am »

Hi Ernst, I realize you posted this a few months ago, but are you still having issues with it? Was it working before and then something changed one day?

I use Windows 10 (x64) and Edge has been on my PC a long time. (I don't use it tho, I use Firefox for browsing.) The HP Utility still works okay, and pages in it that use a browser still open in Edge. When I print from Photoshop it uses the HP driver and the print preview works okay.

I can also access the printer's EWS okay via IP address, but I use Firefox for that.

Chrome is my web browser on that machine, I use more different web browsers on other machines. I doubt they can replace Internet Explorer that is called by the HP printer driver. Yes, IP access works with more browsers. However my main gripe is with the HP Z3200 driver's print preview feature that if selected in the driver prevents the actual printing phase since Edge was installed on that machine. Troubleshooting is something that tends to take a lot of time so I did not dig into that matter so far.

Added an image here that probably was not transferred with the PM today.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

Kyle D Jackson

• Lone Leaf Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2024, 11:40:53 am »

Hi Ernst, ok I think this can be fixed because everything is working okay on my Win 10 machine with Edge. I think if you re-install the printer drivers (and then possibly reinstall the HP Utility) it should work okay.

There was a Windows 10 update a few years ago that broke some things for me and after I did this it worked again fine. Here I posted where I downloaded the files and how I installed them:
https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=136834.msg1196455#msg1196455

It also came up again recently here:
https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=143140.0

After I reinstalled the print driver I think I also reinstalled HP Utility on top of the existing installation. I think I thought it was a newer version but it was the same one. Anyhow re-running that installation might have "repaired" something too, so it's a step that might be worth trying if it's still not working after re-installing the drivers.

Hope that helps!

(PS many thanks for the photo re: the other topic!)
Kyle D Jackson
Ottawa, Canada
Lone Leaf Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up