Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import problem  (Read 562 times)

Jonathan Cross

Import problem
« on: September 21, 2023, 06:33:20 am »

For no apparent reason Lightroom Classic will not show the photos I want to import.  This has only happened in the last few days.

I am running LR Classic 12.5 with Camera RAW 15.5 on an M1 iMac with Ventura 13.5.2.  The photos show on my HD in Finder and the folder shows in Import in LR, together with greyed out other photos in that folder that have already been imported.  The contents of that folder in the import screen do not show the photos I want to import.  I have made sure that 'Don't inport suspected duplicates' is unchecked in file handling on the right side of the import screen.

I have tried putting the images in a new folder within my Lightroom images folder.  The LR import screen lists all the folders in my Lightroom pictures folder except the new folder, so it is not recognising that either. 

I am not sure it is a LR problem as the same issue arises if I try to insert the same jpeg images into Word.  Word does not display the image names in the insert dialogue but does list older files.  I can insert by using copy and paste from Finder.  The same problem occurs when trying to open one of the images in Photoshop 25.0.0.

Has anyone any idea of what to do?

Best wishes,

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Import problem
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2023, 11:25:26 am »

Is there anything odd about the image names? Try renaming one to something simple like IMAGE.JPG and see if it shows up.

This is a wild guess on my part!

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2023, 01:51:34 pm »

Thanks for the thought, Peter.  Unfortunately a change of name to something simple makes no difference.  The actual file names are sequential following on from what had previously imported.

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2023, 03:54:19 pm »

Can you try in a different computer? or can you share one of the files to check if there is something wrong with them?

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2023, 04:31:09 am »

Can you try in a different computer? or can you share one of the files to check if there is something wrong with them?

The mystery deepens! I have tried airdropping iPhone images to my MacBook Air also running LR Classic 12.5 and Ventura 13.5.2.  I copied them to a new folder in my Pictures folder. I then launched LR and clicked import.  Not only did the new folder not show, but neither did half the folders that Finder shows exist within Pictures.  I cannot import the new images.  Show subfolders is checked.

I have looked on the web and cannot find anything to help.

I gave filed this problem on the Adobe LR forum, but not heard anything.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2023, 08:58:31 am »

Try resetting your Lightroom preferences:
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html
Also see: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/important-steps-for-manually-resetting-preferences-omitted-from-help-article/td-p/12972518

Quit Lightroom Classic.
macOS: Press and hold the Shift + Option keys.
Windows: Press and hold the Shift + Alt keys.
While holding down the keys, launch Lightroom Classic.
When asked, select "Yes".
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2023, 01:12:58 pm »

Thnaks for this Andrew, but, unfortunately it does not work.  I have found a work round.  If I copy the images to a USB stick, LR will import them from that.  I can then move them in LR to where they should be on my HD.

Not the best, but I can now take more time sorting out why LR import is not recognising images and folders on both my iMac and MacBook Air, both of which have the latest OS, LR and PS versions.  I have both LR and PS cleared in the OS security and privacy to access anything so it is not that.  I may try uninstalling LR and PS and reinstalling them.

Best wishes,

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up