Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "missing" disk checked out OKAY. but  (Read 976 times)

Michael West

"missing" disk checked out OKAY. but
« on: August 02, 2023, 10:07:37 pm »

an external USB connected disk with several thousand photos on it has repeatedly not been granted access by ny new IMAC, today I changed cables. and although it did not appear in th listed devices Disk First Aid gave a sparkling report ,..

I have reconnected it to my OLD iMac...and yes everything looks as thought is fully functional.

Im utterly baffled...might it be that the unpowered hub im using to connect to the new each is causing the issue?

I have one wacom  tablet...one ethernet port and additional usb hard drive. and a card reader connected to the port. they're all consistently connected flawlessly.

I hesitate to copy the drive to another drive.....to get it the photos back in the Lightroom catalog,...

I wish id made a screen shot of the DIsj First Aid test window..

anyone have an idea of how I can't make the trip formmthe drive to the new Mac a bit more direct?

Thank you.
Thank you

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: "missing" disk checked out OKAY. but
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2023, 10:27:00 pm »

Go to the Security and Privacy panel in Preferences and allow external disk access.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Michael West

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2023, 09:37:43 am »

Go to the Security and Privacy panel in Preferences and allow external disk access.

everything checks out...in concept...

Thanks

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2023, 09:55:20 am »

Do use the OLD machine to copy the images to another drive, perhaps formatted on the newer Mac. Then try all over again with that drive.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2023, 10:57:04 am »

Do use the OLD machine to copy the images to another drive, perhaps formatted on the newer Mac. Then try all over again with that drive.

Further to what Andrew wrote, how old is your 'old' Mac?  Is it possible that the drive format you used for that machine is incompatible with the new machine.  I have found that if I am going to use a drive/USB on just my iMac, then I use the current Apple format, but if I am going to use it on other machines, including Windows, then I format in ExFAT.

Just a thought.  I am no expert on old Macs.

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

Michael West

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2023, 12:02:46 pm »

I want lightroom to be able to.find the files listed under the "name" of the old drive and im unclear as to how to go about assuring that outcome.

Michael West

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2023, 12:06:41 pm »

Further to what Andrew wrote, how old is your 'old' Mac?  Is it possible that the drive format you used for that machine is incompatible with the new machine.  I have found that if I am going to use a drive/USB on just my iMac, then I use the current Apple format, but if I am going to use it on other machines, including Windows, then I format in ExFAT.

Just a thought.  I am no expert on old Macs.

Jonathan

an apply guy tole me to call Western Digital. there's a driver problem...as for the drive.

im goimg to get a new drive...and copy the files to it, the only thing remains would be assuring that Lightroom wee "see" the new drive...as the old drive. thus allowing it to use the files in the lightroom catalog as being on a drive with the same name as they were original written to?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2023, 12:07:16 pm »

I want lightroom to be able to.find the files listed under the "name" of the old drive and im unclear as to how to go about assuring that outcome.
So you want the 'old' drive to be hooked up at all times and for that name to be seen in LR? The file names have zero bearing on the name of the drive.

Michael West

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2023, 01:02:00 pm »

So you want the 'old' drive to be hooked up at all times and for that name to be seen in LR? The file names have zero bearing on the name of the drive.

I want to be sure that Lightroom can find the files. the files I copied from the old Mac drive....to the new external drive aren't associating with the old drive in my catalog..

im shocked that disk first aid could check out the :troublesome drive finding no problems....and yet not not allow it to be mounted. on the new machine,

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2023, 02:01:30 pm »

I want to be sure that Lightroom can find the files. the files I copied from the old Mac drive....to the new external drive aren't associating with the old drive in my catalog..

im shocked that disk first aid could check out the :troublesome drive finding no problems....and yet not not allow it to be mounted. on the new machine,
If the images on the 'old' drive are cataloged, all should be fine (you can always synchronize using that command to do so).
Disk First Aid isn't all that robust.

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2023, 02:19:13 pm »

I am a little confused. If you put all the images on to a drive that your new Mac will recognise and then Lightroom does not see them, you should be able to use the locate feature in LR to find them. It is what I do.
Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

Michael West

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2023, 04:12:31 pm »

I am a little confused. If you put all the images on to a drive that your new Mac will recognise and then Lightroom does not see them, you should be able to use the locate feature in LR to find them. It is what I do.
Jonathan

I'll soon cross that bridge. Thanks

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2023, 04:51:02 pm »

I had a problem with a drive that would not mount, yet was seen by Disk Utility.  It had been formatted and files copied to it on a different machine.  The only solution was to use Disk Utility to reformat on the Mac that did not mount the disk.  The disk was then immediately mounted and seen properly.

You will lose the images copied onto the disk of course but for now the drive is useless anyway, so no harm trying and if it works you can use your old Mac to re-copy the images.

As for the new iMac finding them in LR, this is done within the LR library at the top level directory where you will see a (?).  Right click and select Find Missing Folder or equivalent, then navigate to your new drive, same folder.

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2023, 04:18:38 am »

I'll soon cross that bridge. Thanks

Glad there is light at the end of the tunnel.   If I have a problem with a drive (infrequent but does happen), then I do not trust it.  Call me neurotic, but I get all the info on it on to a new drive asap, even though the info is backed up. 

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

Michael West

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2023, 12:50:24 pm »

the new drive I used ti copy some 30,000. plus K files form .the old..external drive...incurred a NANE CHANGE and now bears the name if the older drive

this was an unexpected spontaneous coccurance of SOME sort.

thus occurred after plugging it into my new iMac

I waited on hold for a half an hour for apple support...prior to posting this Update btw

anyone have ANY idea as to how this could happen?

Pages: [1]   Go Up