Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whada ya think?  (Read 665 times)

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
Whada ya think?
« on: August 02, 2023, 12:10:33 am »

I am sometimes (often?) a poor judge of my own work, so I'm posting this shot of the shore of Lake Hefner in Oklahoma City for your review. Tell me what you think.

RMW

Re: Whada ya think?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2023, 08:28:07 am »

This is an important picture to me because it shows a simple, modest, non-spectacular scene that has a beauty to it often overlooked. It's the kind I admire and the kind that often calls on a photographers most respectful and best honed skills. I'm always going for these knowing not a lot of viewers will appreciate them.For this particular foto I might try getting closer, try different depths of field, try b&w, and look to simplify it a bit. But that's just me...
Hope you keep doing this kind !

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2023, 11:15:36 am »

This is an important picture to me because it shows a simple, modest, non-spectacular scene that has a beauty to it often overlooked. It's the kind I admire and the kind that often calls on a photographers most respectful and best honed skills. I'm always going for these knowing not a lot of viewers will appreciate them.For this particular foto I might try getting closer, try different depths of field, try b&w, and look to simplify it a bit. But that's just me...
Hope you keep doing this kind !
I agree. These are hard to get right. As one prone to looking for a spectacular scene, which is easier to wit my recent post on using the history brush to enhance saturation for example, I think the suggestion to simplify is a good one. Kudos for posting this!

mtakeda

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2023, 07:25:47 pm »

The comments from RMW are so well said. I agree it is nicely simple and well composed. We can not be at Grand Canion and it is important to be able to see the ordinary but meaningful beauty like this.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2023, 11:20:10 am »

Nicely framed and a good color balance. My only beef is the signature in an online copy. Prints need to be signed. Online work doesn't need to be signed.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2023, 02:37:33 pm »

...My only beef is the signature in an online copy. Prints need to be signed. Online work doesn't need to be signed.

Perhaps he doesn't want it to be used online without his permission, so is using his sig as a watermark to protect his work? Which I think is probably more likely than just pure vanity, as I think you might be intimating Russ.  ;)

But anyhoo, before we start arguing about the pros and cons of digitally signing our work for showing online etc., why not digitally sign it if you are proud of it and especially if you want people to know who created it outside of this forum, should it stray?

Dave

BAB

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2023, 03:53:38 pm »

try to change the flat overall lighting and get some mood in the image
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2023, 03:36:58 am »

I like the lush greens, I wonder if the day was overcast? Overcast conditions are best to photograph the woods, softening the contrast and allowing the tones to come through. I also like the tree, with its branches similar to two open arms.

rgs

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2023, 05:24:43 pm »

I like the lush greens, I wonder if the day was overcast? Overcast conditions are best to photograph the woods, softening the contrast and allowing the tones to come through. I also like the tree, with its branches similar to two open arms.

It was a bit hazy, Paulo, plus that bank is mostly shaded - just the light to make the colors deeper.

rgs

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2023, 05:31:31 pm »

Nicely framed and a good color balance. My only beef is the signature in an online copy. Prints need to be signed. Online work doesn't need to be signed.

I sign them more for protection than anything else. I know that the watermark can be removed but it's always said that locks are to keep honest people honest - a thief will find a way to steal. So many people are ignorant of the laws and/or have so little respect for photographs (or music or any other kind of intellectual property) that they just assume it's OK to take it for their own use. I hope the watermark discourages that.

BTW I don't sign prints, I sign in the border, on the back, on the mount, or with a Certificate of Authenticity attached to the back.

rabanito

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2023, 08:08:42 am »

But anyhoo, before we start arguing about the pros and cons of digitally signing our work for showing online etc., why not digitally sign it if you are proud of it and especially if you want people to know who created it outside of this forum, should it stray?

Dave

I think the signatures just ruin the composition, like any foreign object would do.

rgs

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2023, 05:15:35 pm »

I think the signatures just ruin the composition, like any foreign object would do.

I agree. That's why I don't sign prints in the image area. I consider the watermark a necessary evil for internet posting. Keeping honest people honest.

Leszek Piotrowski

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2023, 09:36:56 am »

Very nice light,... and to me my attention goes on the tree,... which too me kind of reminds me of renewal and aging at the same time.
Leszek, G
Pages: [1]   Go Up