Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing issues with HP Z9 44"  (Read 698 times)

debogrady

• Deborah O'Grady Photography
Printing issues with HP Z9 44"
« on: July 15, 2023, 01:00:13 pm »

I'm categorized here as "newbie" although have been doing large format printing for at least 20 years. My HP Z3200 died a few months ago and I replaced it with the Z9. I'm deeply disappointed in this printer for many reasons. First, it simply cannot make a clean print on my Baryta or Platine from a roll. The sensor makes a light line on a Platine print and the Baryta has places of uneven printing that seem random (light banding). I've run every diagnostic for the paper feed, profiling, etc. Other issues: Gloss Enhancer is banded; I am no longer able to use the deckle edge papers I printed successfully on with the Z3200 because there is no way to disable the skew check. I also print on uncoated art papers, or did on the Z3200, but the new printhead array makes this impossible. I'd give anything to have my Z3200 back. Anyone out there have any ideas about any of this? My HP tech wasn't even familiar with the thicker fine art papers that I use and so wasn't much help. Thanks.

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: Printing issues with HP Z9 44"
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2023, 12:25:28 pm »

a very sad story!

In the last few years i have bought some hardly used Z3200 printers for little money. The work perfectly on the older operating systems.
Time is against you when printing art seems not commercially attractive anymore for HP.
New is not always better and unfortunalty this could be an example.
feel your pain.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

debogrady

• Deborah O'Grady Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2023, 09:21:51 am »

Thank you for your message, Kers. I have located a couple of Z3200 24+ printers online and I think I will be purchasing one. I'll keep the Z9 for other projects, as it prints beautifully on matte papers. Best wishes to you.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2023, 01:47:23 am »

HP support could have gone further.
Lines can be the optical drop detector telling the printer to replace missing lines and or paper feed calibrations not working correctly, head alignement etc.
I am surprised that with uncoated paper if wheels are down it is not working. Unfortunately wheels down is less than ideal.

Agreed with the above, the Z3200 was THE printer from HP.
Pages: [1]   Go Up