Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad X2D 100C focus stacking tutorial using new focus bracketing feature  (Read 1463 times)

TechTalk

The mathphotographer YouTube channel has posted a new tutorial on use of the focus bracketing feature on the X2D 100C. Hot pixel removal options are also discussed.

Hasselblad X2D New Focus Bracketing Firmware 2.0 Tutorial

Content:

00:00 Introduction: Firmware 2.0.0 for the Hasselblad X2D 100c
02:23 Drive Mode is the right place for Focus Bracketing
02:57 Explaining all Focus Bracketing settings in the menu
05:38 Camera and lens settings for the live demonstrations
06:02 Live demo on “Step Size”: “Extra Small” vs “Extra Large”
09:05 Live demo on “Sequence”: “Towards Infinity” vs “Towards Near Limit”
12:09 Live demo on “Sequence”: “Symmetric”
13:52 Need to know information on Focus Bracketing
15:10 Shallow Depth-of-Field vs (stacked) wide Depth-of-Field example
16:08 Playing with variations of “Number of Frames” for a 3D-look
16:36 Some tips & tricks for Hasselblad X2D Focus Bracketing
17:51 Focus Bracketing and Depth-of-Field
20:24 “Step Size” and Circle of Confusion (wrong numbers corrected)
22:11 Hot pixels in Focus Bracketing and how to remove them
25:50 Focus Bracketing and Focus Stacking live demonstration
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

George_Cleansman

Dear Tech Talk! Please can you give an information how I can verify the step size between two image for landscape photography. I like to shot only 4-5 images with 2-3 in the foreground, 1 in the middle range and 1 at infinity. When I shoot a car in a studio may be this is another situation. When I read the english manual, I see that the step size is calculated in µm. Can you clarify this, thanks?

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images

Thanks, I will watch it (even though I don't have the camera)
There is also the original Hasselblad X1D webinar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvVhHXGSm3w

Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images

Watched the video and it is quite good.
A couple of things I noticed.
1. It says you take more frames than you need and then discard the ones that you don't want. In the X1D if you set the number more than you need it simply does not take them.
2. It shows them being assembled in Helicon Focus but does not mention that you can (or at least should be able to) do this in Photoshop also.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

TechTalk

Dear Tech Talk! Please can you give an information how I can verify the step size between two image for landscape photography. I like to shot only 4-5 images with 2-3 in the foreground, 1 in the middle range and 1 at infinity. When I shoot a car in a studio may be this is another situation...

The best way to verify what step size works best for your individual needs is to run some tests. Focus bracketing and stacking combines both aperture dependent depth of field and the multiple images captured to create an impression of sharpness over a larger area than would be gained by stopping down the lens alone.

Sharpness is not uniform across the depth of field range whether it's increased by simply stopping down the lens or focus stacking. Best sharpness will still be obtained at a specific focusing distance for any point in the scene and gradually diminish as focus changes. Whether those differences in apparent sharpness are noticeable in the image produced — and if so, how noticeable — will depend on the degree of magnification at which you view the image and how the image was created: f-stop used, focus bracketing method, and any other factors which affect image sharpness such as movement, vibration, etc.

There was a thread a year ago which discussed magnification and perspective shifts which may occur when focus bracketing. In it I linked this document which may be useful in considering the best approach to capture.

The step size and number of steps is a choice made by the photographer based on their individual requirements and creative vision and the way they intend to print or display specific images. In the simplest terms; the more you intend to magnify the image, the smaller the step size you'll need to maintain any given level of perceived sharpness. Generally speaking; increasing magnification of objects in your image requires more steps as depth of field decreases as magnification increases. Because it's a subjective judgement based on individual perception and how you want to present the the specific subject you're photographing, you'll need to do some testing to determine what works best for you.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 07:11:30 pm by TechTalk »

TechTalk

When I read the english manual, I see that the step size is calculated in µm. Can you clarify this, thanks?

The step size calculation is based on the circle_of_confusion (CoC) size used to define acceptable sharpness for depth of field. The X2D 100C manual shows step size formulas based on sensor pixel size to determine the circle of confusion used when calculating various step size options. Smaller step sizes will produce focus stacked images with more consistency throughout the extended sharpness range which becomes increasing noticeable with image enlargement.

The current version (1.4) of the manual reuses the same table from the 50 megapixel camera manuals and consequently has the wrong pixel pitch listed for the X2D 100C. This should be corrected to reflect the correct X2D pixel pitch when the manual is updated.

The information is a textual guide to the user as to how the step sizes vary in depth of field appearance.  To visualize the difference it makes in your images under various conditions, you will want to make some test captures at different step sizes.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/

Still no eye AF with firmware 2.0?

nazdravanul

• Stefan Iacob - visual artist

Still no eye AF with firmware 2.0?

No continuous AF of any kind. Not a problem, though, for (most of) my work
Pages: [1]   Go Up