Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Birds  (Read 217 times)

armand

• Photos
Birds
« on: June 12, 2023, 12:25:43 am »

Just because I recently got a telephoto lens I decided I should go for the obligatory birding shots. Well, it ain't easy. Particularly when you are not used to should in a fast pace and with top notch focus performance while holding the heavier my the minute lens in a kayak/SUP/canoe. Will keep trying but I don't think I have the patience for this.

degrub

Re: Birds
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2023, 09:22:22 am »

all definitely keepers.
which lens ?

armand

• Photos
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2023, 11:41:31 am »

Thank you!
Nikon Z 100-400 F 4.5-5.6; reasonably sharp but I'm still working on a proper shutter speed as the light wasn't great and most are high iso shots, Topaz AI has been a blessing. The continuous focus has been an issue though, part because of my skills but also the lens/camera combo as I can clearly see the subject in focus yet it continues to focus past and comes back slowly and it's gone by then. I have a Z7, first generation. Still debating on the Z8 that should put the target back in my yard.

Few more of the blue herons that I was stalking from the kayak and few swans that were orange/brown hued.

Bozzdivine

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2023, 05:04:54 am »

It sounds like you're off to a great start with your new Nikon Z 100-400 F 4.5-5.6. The photos are impressive, even with the high ISO shots.

It's frustrating when the autofocus doesn't quite cooperate. You might find it helpful to experiment with different focus modes on your Z7, or adjust the autofocus sensitivity if that's an option.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2023, 09:20:20 am »

This won't help you unless you have bags of money, but the Sony A-1 is unexcelled at focusing on moving birds. My wife has been using it for over a year and has some fantastic results.

www.maxineokazaki.com

armand

• Photos
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2023, 11:00:07 pm »

I'm well aware that a big part of this is me, so I'll keep trying.

As for the camera, as much as I was tempted by Sony (many times so far) I think that I've reached the critical mass in lenses when a switch doesn't make sense. After all I can adapt Sony lenses with landscape level autofocus.

francois

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2023, 04:22:19 am »

Some very nice bird shots. I like them and you're getting good use of your new lens…
I'm eager to see your next photos.
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up