Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: nikon Z8 first impressions ; coming from a d850  (Read 33556 times)

armand

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5566
    • Photos
Re: nikon Z8 first impressions ; coming from a d850
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2023, 11:42:49 pm »

I got a Z8 just as the dealer has all packed for shipping back to Nikon knowing that I'll eventually have to send it to Nikon. Did not use the right lug (as you look through the camera) which I think was the main culprit. Used the left one and the bottom plate from Peak Design.

My previous Nikons were D50, D90, D750, Z7. The difference in layout and functionality is quite noticeable, this is the first Nikon that I think I'll be happy with the handling and ease of accessing various functions once I customize it properly (and even more importantly, I recall how I customized it). Finally I can easily access and use the bracketing, even if it's an extra click compared to my X- T2 and E-Mlili/O-M1 it comes with more flexibility so I'll take it.

I'm also learning to use the shooting banks and it helps with unexpected situations. To my shame I didn't bother with it on any of my previous cameras. The stabilization definitely works better for me than on Z7; I don't know if it's the lack of shutter shock or something else but I can shoot at 1/4FL and get sharp results usually, with Z7 I was frequently struggling even with 1/2FL.

Image quality is as expected but with less chroma noise at high iso.

I truly hope that the auto capture will make its way to Z8 also at some point.

As for the bulk, I prefer the Z7 size but got used to the size, it does help a little with the 100-400.

kers

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4604
    • Pieter Kers
Re: nikon Z8 first impressions ; coming from a d850
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2023, 07:40:03 am »

The Z8 Raw images come out very different when developed in Capture One23 or in Lightroom.

You cannot simply say one is better than the other, but in some cases there is a clear better choice.
For instance when you develop a 6400 asa image in Lightroom it comes out very ugly and grainy compared to the Capture one output.
However when applying denoise-AI in Lightroom the balance turns back in the favour of lightroom.
Another example: at 400 asa a face with hard light a shadow side and a sunlit side. Here C1 does a better job bring those together in a natural way.
I have not tried other raw converters yet, but already it shows that a different raw converter can make a clear difference.

Logged

kers

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4604
    • Pieter Kers
Re: nikon Z8 first impressions ; coming from a d850
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2024, 02:27:45 pm »

bravo Nikon!
I really like the new Nikon philosophy of adding firmware if and when it is possible.
The camera will live longer and Nikon does not have to spend money on producing more bodies.
Also good for the environment!

About a year after its birth Nikon Added Pixelshift and automatic recording to the camera through firmware2.0
For me pixelshift was the missing item in the original Z8. It also works with the F-bajonet lenses

This in combination with the new fabulous lenses that really stand out it takes away my interest in the fuji GFX.
Another reason not to step into MF is the progress of AI in the software like in LR and Topaz gigapixel.
a third reason is that  I only want to know one camera and spend my money once on very good optics.
See a test report of the remarkable plena 135mm lens here;
https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-z-135mm-f-1-8-s-plena

With the new additions in the firmware the camera becomes even more a jack of trades and very complex to understand it completely.
But the possibilities are almost endless.
It gets more confusing to use a z8 in combination with a d850; did it once but never again.


« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 06:06:44 am by kers »
Logged

armand

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5566
    • Photos
Re: nikon Z8 first impressions ; coming from a d850
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2024, 11:58:56 am »

Good news indeed. I probably didn't have an absolute need for any of these updates but I'm glad they are here. Hoping to make some use of the auto capture for birds around me.
As I said before this is the first Nikon camera that I feel it gives everything that I need without a lot of effort. Sure it's not perfect, the autofocus is not foolproof at all, the stabilization could be even better, could be a little smaller, etc. But that didn't stop me from getting another one so I don't have to change lenses too often.

And the Nikon service eventually turned out ok. Few months ago I backed out my truck over the camera backpack (don't ask) and the 24-120 ripped the mount of the Z8. Sent both for repair and the total price was relatively reasonable (under $1000 for both). Lens came back fine, the camera not so much: the stabilization was basically not working. Made it work for a trip that was planned (tripod mostly or lenses with OIS). Sent it back and they repaired again (at no charge this time) and came back fine. I bought my second Z8 in the middle of this.

I'm still trying to figure it the shooting banks, sometimes when I change between them some settings don't change as they were initially programmed and some become unavailable for unclear reasons (the focus mode). At the end of the day I'm relatively happy with them and they'll be my main system if I don't have to travel light.


PS. attached to the backpack was a Leofoto tripod LS-365C and a LH-40 ballhead. Amazingly the tripod was unaffected and the head works only slightly less smooth despite leaving part of knob smeared on the pavement

kers

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4604
    • Pieter Kers
Re: nikon Z8 first impressions ; coming from a d850
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2024, 06:14:19 am »


As I said before this is the first Nikon camera that I feel it gives everything that I need without a lot of effort. Sure it's not perfect, the autofocus is not foolproof at all, the stabilization could be even better, could be a little smaller, etc....

I agree the AF is not foolproof, but does miracles at times- especially Eye-AF and 3d-AF.
then i am happy that Nikon service is only an hour away and they know me for the reasons like you- i manage to make my camera fall while being on a tripod...  so already also my z8 has been in repair- a good insurance against yourself is a solution :)
i just added the pixelshift 32 detail made with my micronikkor wide open. I am very satisfied with this iniital result.
speed is about 8fps- so 4 sec for a 32x shot.

It only works for objects that are completely stationary , but for instance ideal for reproductions
NX-studio takes a long time assembling the final NEFX - it only uses one core of the cpu
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 08:19:15 am by kers »
Logged

kers

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4604
    • Pieter Kers
Re: nikon Z8 first impressions ; coming from a d850
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2024, 08:25:24 am »

Some examples from a 32 shot NEFX compared to a 1x shot

a clear difference in dynamic range, grain and on the bad side: artefacts.
even small tree trunks move!

 the DR difference did not apply in this case on the highlights, suggesting that expose to the max is essential.

in print i would say : below 1meter wide : not so much difference, but color.
and these examples here are 100% views of a file 280cm wide 300dpi.
Logged

armand

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5566
    • Photos
Re: nikon Z8 first impressions ; coming from a d850
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2024, 12:55:01 pm »

The difference is pretty convincing. On your second image it might be some generalized motion.
Is this with electronic shutter only? I recall seeing similar artifacts with the Oly E-M5ii but they improved significantly since so this might be just some growing pains for Nikon. Not sure if better software will be the answer or a new camera.
Luckily for me I almost never wished for more than 47MP.

kers

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4604
    • Pieter Kers
Re: nikon Z8 first impressions ; coming from a d850
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2024, 02:03:17 pm »

I just made some tabletop shot with flash using the 32 merged mode: results are great without any artefacts and when i print it, it is clear that the 2m wide 200dpi native resolution delivers a really perfect print. ( and it is a file with huge dynamic range)
i used my favourite Sigma 40mm f/1.4 ART lens for this purpose.
This is one of the best lenses you can buy and very cheap (but heavy)
It can handle even more than a real 92MP corner to corner as my Nikon 1 J5 ( with adapter) shows. ( displays the 20MP central part of what would be a FF 150MP image)
It is clear Nikon is afraid for Sigma for they won't let Sigma make ART lenses for the Z-bajonet.

Talking about the nikon J5: its 20mp sensor has got a new life with adobe NR. Only the colour-range could be improved.
A really good 1m wide print is possible. It is only a pity Nikon forgot to make more fine lenses for the Nikon1 serie. Most are mediocre.

BTW here you can download a pixelsshift explainer from Nikon:

https://download.nikonimglib.com/archive6/8bjrG00y9CRc061d6Tg38AElPA43/Z8_TG_Pixelshift_(En)01.pdf
Logged

kers

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4604
    • Pieter Kers
Re: nikon Z8 first impressions ; coming from a d850
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2024, 01:28:00 pm »

Update;

I just found out after 1 year! of use that the sharpest photographs can be obtained by:
(Rock solid tripod+ steady object)
VR-off
manual focus on 400%
put the AF-ring at maximum (f9) for most precise focus.
-
AF is good enough, but this is the way to get everything out of your lens.
the 105mm micronikkor z turns out to be extremely sharp wide open.
(this lens is outstanding in many ways)
the NEFX comes out a even a little sharper in LR than via NXD ( image below)
The print i photographed is 80 x100cm 1200dpi and close on sight i thought there were no lines from 8 and above... but both my camera and my printer (z3200) turnt out to be better than my eyes...
(the moire pattern between 8-9 is actually in the print for also my printer reached some of its limits)

(I guess Nikon just could not mention manual focus in their extensive manual about pixelshift without discrediting the AF in the camera)
PS at the moment i value the precision of AFS+ pinpoint to be the most precise- but slow.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2024, 04:32:21 am by kers »
Logged

kers

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4604
    • Pieter Kers
Re: nikon Z8 first impressions ; coming from a d850
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2024, 09:47:23 am »

Some observations about lenses:

I have used the Plena 135 lens and i have the Sigma 135 lens...
With Pixelsshfft wide open the Plena is still immaculate in the corner: what a lens! ( 176MP)
the copy  I had was not evenly sharp on a wall at 20m and that is a shame, so test it after buying.
The Sigma is also very good of course, but not as sharp as the Plena wide open. Again the contrast of the nikkor is also better.
From f4 the lenses are about the same sharpness; But the nikkor has a more fluent AF and the advantage of being made for the large bajonet.
The Sigma is already an outstanding performer for portraits wide open and enough for me.

After a long thought and testing I bought the 14-24mm S lens. And i am happy with it.
The lens is a worthy successor of the legendary 14-24 afs.
14-18 mm is immaculate even with pixelshift. 3m wide prints are absolutely possible. 15-16mm is the best.
from 18mm to 24mm it gets a bit less, but stiill very very good. On 46 MP you can use all the apertures and focal lengths no problem
Vignetting is the only problem at f2.8.
almost no flare - perfect video without any focus breathing and fluent AF.
and as with all the new nikon Z lenses the coatings give very good contrast.
I needed it for my architectural work and it will be my workhorse. Even there they are asking me to make video's...

I doubted to use a fuji GFX camera for architectural work, but am glad i can do everything with one system ( since 1981).. saves a lot of money and time.
According to some tests ( nikon Rumors)  the nikon z8 and 9 have the fastest readout of 1/270 second a frame;  The fuji GFX is slowest at about 1/6 second .
That is a very big difference, and HDR, pixelshift, and focus shift perform much faster and better because of that. ( and silent)
What for me is missing is only a fast 24mm that is outstanding wide open. I have to do with the 24mm f/1.8 G lens tiil it arrives. I work in the cultural sector often in very dark situations.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2024, 05:24:42 am by kers »
Logged

kers

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4604
    • Pieter Kers
Re: nikon Z8 first impressions ; coming from a d850
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2024, 07:05:29 am »

I bought a very good and very cheap lens recently; the viltrox 16 mm f1.8  - a Chinese firm that is supposed to use Japanese glass from Hoya.

for anyone looking for a type of lens like this for the Z-Mount ; Nikon does not give you any choice. It stops at 20mm.
Viltrox made some lenses that were so so, but they are taking it up to a high level recently.
this is one example- hardly any distortion, very sharp in the central area at f1.8- whole image is very usable ; perfect at f5.6
hardly any colour faults- good flare resistance . Even a coloured LCD screen with options Nikon does not provide. Metal casing.
i am impressed with it. At f5.6 i dare to make 2m wide prints ( pixelshift) that are perfect. ( I have Z3200 printers here so i tried)
The Price - 600 $ or less!
See this review that copies my own experience: https://photographylife.com/reviews/viltrox-af-16mm-f-1-8

« Last Edit: November 22, 2024, 04:28:49 am by kers »
Logged

kers

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4604
    • Pieter Kers
Re: nikon Z8 first impressions ; coming from a d850
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2025, 09:56:41 am »

Even 2 years after the introduction of the Nikon Z8 it has got again a new mayor Firmware update 3.0.

firmware 2.0 brought pixelsshift that makes it possible to combine 32 images in one image of 180 MP (!) and huge dynamic range.
It is a way to obtain as much quality out of the lenses and indeed their best lenzen can do 150MP.

firmware 3.0 adds auto bracketing or auto focusshift to such an enormous image.
for table top photograpy and macro photography this is tremendous.

Also it introduces a software focus-limiter for any z-lens ; ideal for instance for the slow focussing 105 macro lens. Setting the limiter from 1m to infinity it focusses much faster.
it remembers the limiter of the specific lens. So for all lensen you can have a different limiter. also it shows it is active in the viewfinder.

Then you can now change the way focus is obtained in a way it is done in any DSLR; with open aperture that closes to the chosen aperture at the moment of capture.
Normallly it focusses with the chosen aperture up to f/5.6 like many mirrorless bodies do.
the new method makes it easier to work in the studio with flash and to use closed apertures in dark conditions.
Also the focus is done with all light available; so quicker and more precise, especially wide angle lenses.
( it will not work better with lenses that have a problem with focus shift on closing the aperture, but the Z-lenses i know don't have such effect)

Many more features are part of this update - check Nikon for a full list.
-
This demonstrates again the new company policy of Nikon. The software takes so much time to develop that they already sell the camera body with version 1 of the firmware and later on they add many items if the hardware supports it. Also they listen to the wishes of the photographers.
Curiously the Z9 is now behind in features to the Z8. it has no pixelsshift for instance.


« Last Edit: July 11, 2025, 02:37:49 am by kers »
Logged

kers

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4604
    • Pieter Kers
Re: nikon Z8 first impressions ; coming from a d850
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2026, 10:05:55 am »

Update of the Nikon Z8. now about 3 years in heavy use; about 300.000 photos later...

Must say i still love this camera very much and never lets me down- Nikons are known for that.

I use all the extra's the camera provides in my work: Pixelshift; Focus shift, 20fps , 8K video, etc

Recently is have bought the Nikkor 35mm f1.2 lens and it is a gem.
wide open it produces very beautiful images with sharpness , beautiful bokeh, and clarity.
also it is very much flare resistant and great contrast with  is a lot of information in the shadows.
One of those lenses whose quality shows of also in small images. Also it has almost no focus breathing making it ideal for video and focus stacking
see an example below at f/1.2

In the last months Viltrox and Sigma also came with cheaper  35mm f/1.2 lenses and you can read the tests of all three here: Lenstip.com  ( a polish site that tests lenses in a decent and uniform way)
It seems especially Sigma made a very fine lens, alas not for Nikon.

What is also to like about the Nikon Z8;

The batteries are very good and keep working as new after 3 years of intensive use.
I use three batteries that will keep me going a full day of photography.

autofocus on the eye works very good even with the F-mount lenses from sigma. I really enjoy the portraits i get with the Sigma 135mm f/1.8 - a very fine lens.

spots on the sensor are mostly easely removed by the cleaning program inside or else with a blower.
Since it has a curtain over the sensor when powered off it is well protected.


What is less to like:
exposure has to be within one stop to get the right colours.
especially over exposure will make the image over-saturated.
Under exposure is not so much of a problem, only a bit more grain.


what would i like better?
20 fps is almost  the speed of fluent video;  with 24 fps I would be able to shoot raw photos and make a short movie at the same time.

Nikon was the first with 8K60p raw video-  14 minutes can be 512 GB !
Problem is they do not provide a perfect way to handle this video as they do with photos in NX.
Much is unclear in how these nRaw should be handled.
You have to use Davinci resolve ( 270€) and then it is still not clear how to get the colours right.
I bought resolve 19 and now we are on 21 . the Raw handeling has changed but I have not tried it first hand ; there are a lot of rumours how to get the colours right, but still no clear message from nikon - the problem also is Red, that wants to do it perfect of course and only the ZR camera has their approval.
one problem with the nRaw was the overaturated blues in some conditions.
My solution for now is to use the H265 codec 8k 25p in n-Log
also with that codec I had to find out myself how it is best to get good colour.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2026, 03:59:58 am by kers »
Logged

kers

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4604
    • Pieter Kers
Re: nikon Z8 first impressions ; coming from a d850
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2026, 05:27:22 am »

another f/1.2 no lens corrections
« Last Edit: May 10, 2026, 05:31:34 am by kers »
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up