Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cleaning a Canon ImagePROGRAF PRO-1000 Vacuum Platen  (Read 290 times)

Simon J.A. Simpson

Cleaning a Canon ImagePROGRAF PRO-1000 Vacuum Platen
« on: June 03, 2023, 03:37:46 pm »

I had a bit of an accident with my Canon PRO-1000 (not my fault).

I have been unable to replicate the problem but the printer started printing an A2 print even though there was no paper under the head.  This has meant a large amount of ink (roughly half an A2 print's worth) was sprayed inside the machine onto the vacuum platen and the surrounding foam.  There was so much ink that it had actually blocked a few of the vacuum holes.

I have made two attempts to clean the platen with tissues and cotton buds but my efforts have been hampered by the shear amount of ink and the fact that the adjacent foam is so wet.  The latter means that I have to be extremely careful not to touch it with any cleaning implement (quite difficult).  Currently, prints are emerging from the printer with ink streaks on the back.

I have tried to contact Canon in the UK for help, twice now, but I have not had a reply nor even an acknowledgement.  Given this, I may have to resort to self-help.

I was just wondering whether any other folk had tried to clean the platen and if you had any tips you could pass-on.

Just out of interest, I have tried to recreate the original problem of the paper not progressing under the head, and why the wretched printer carried on printing despite this, but I have been unsuccessful.  It remains a mystery.  One would hope that this kind of thing would be prevented by careful printer and software design, but apparently not.  And, yes, I had loaded the paper  ;D

I am somewhat p****d-off.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 04:09:25 pm by Simon J.A. Simpson »

Bozzdivine

Re: Cleaning a Canon ImagePROGRAF PRO-1000 Vacuum Platen
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2023, 04:39:54 am »

Dealing with ink spills and clogged vacuum holes can be really frustrating.

Well, let's see. First, make sure to turn off and unplug the printer before attempting any cleaning. To remove excess ink, you can use lint-free cloths or paper towels soaked in a gentle cleaning solution like distilled water or isopropyl alcohol. Gently dab and wipe the affected areas, being cautious not to damage the adjacent foam.

If the ink streaks on the back of your prints persist, you may need to perform a more thorough cleaning. Canon's official support channels should be able to assist you. Check out this tutorial from their official website for instance: https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/Manual/All/TS5000%20series/EN/UG/bg-maintenance2500.html

Remember to always follow proper safety precautions and refer to the printer's user manual for specific instructions. Stay patient and keep trying different methods until you achieve the desired results.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 04:43:37 am by Bozzdivine »
Pages: [1]   Go Up