Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a clone of Canon Heavyweight Satin 300gsm Paper?  (Read 252 times)

narikin

Is there a clone of Canon Heavyweight Satin 300gsm Paper?
« on: May 18, 2023, 07:10:28 pm »

I found an old roll of this in my studio, and reminded myself of just how great it was to print on at 300gsm.
Lovely color depth and great life according to Aardenberg.
Sadly was discontinued a few years back. Now there's 'Premium Platinum' at a far higher price point.

Obviously Canon themselves didn't make it, so... is there a clone of it lurking somewhere I could try out?
Thanks

narikin

Re: Is there a clone of Canon Heavyweight Satin 300gsm Paper?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 10:19:20 am »

Can answer my own question: I'd forgotten about the wonderful SpectrumViz, which gives us the key to cut through branding, and find out which papers are effectively identical  (Thank you once again, Ernst!)

It seems closest ones to Canon 300 in RC satin paper are:

Epson Premium Luster / Semimatte  (duh!)
and not identical, but v close:  Red River Ultra Pro Satin (or Palo Duro)

basically these papers seem to be made by the same plant/ to the same formula

I had an old roll of Epson SemiMatte 250 (not 260) here, and that was ok, but definitely not as good as the Canon 300 in color/ depth. But it was the old 250 paper weight/formula, and clearly that was improved upon a while back.

Will try the RedRiver - interested in seeing how that does.

Richard.Wills

• Photofusion Photography Centre
Re: Is there a clone of Canon Heavyweight Satin 300gsm Paper?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2023, 05:00:15 pm »

Canson Premium lustre310rc has the heft, and is a current product - I think 44"x25m rolls.

Spectrum viz is on my work machine, and I've finished for the week, so can't compare plots...
Pages: [1]   Go Up