Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Silent Shutter Artifacts  (Read 1233 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Silent Shutter Artifacts
« on: April 24, 2023, 07:49:21 am »

I was shooting a concert the other night, and used a silent shutter option on my Canon R. Noticed weird vertical stripes on the back screen... turned the silent shutter option off and they disappeared. Next day, I tried the silent shutter again, in a different light (a mixture of daylight and incandescent) and the stripes were not there. Got me thinking... could it be some weird interaction between frequencies of the stage light and the way the silent shutter functions?

!/200s, f/2.8, ISO 3200

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 08:23:25 am by Slobodan Blagojevic »

jrsforums

Re: Silent Shutter Artifacts
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2023, 09:28:19 am »

I was shooting a concert the other night, and used a silent shutter option on my Canon R. Noticed weird vertical stripes on the back screen... turned the silent shutter option off and they disappeared. Next day, I tried the silent shutter again, in a different light (a mixture of daylight and incandescent) and the stripes were not there. Got me thinking... could it be some weird interaction between frequencies of the stage light and the way the silent shutter functions?

!/200s, f/2.8, ISO 3200

Any ideas?

Many lights vary in intensity, and, often, color, at the frequency of the electrical current.  This can be seen as waves/banding with electronic shutter…and may just be shot to shot differences with mechanical shutter.  The worst I have seen is sodium vapor lights in football stadiums which vary widely in intensity and green/magenta!

Good article here: https://johnplatt.com.au/electronic-shutters-banding-rolling-shutter-explained/

Edit: if you dropped your speed to 1/100 or 1/50, depending on lights, the banding might reduce quite a bit.
John

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2023, 02:53:44 pm »

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2023, 08:48:26 am »

Led lamps often are dimmed just by decreasing the pulsation and that pulsation in combination with the (slow ) speed of building op the image of the sensor gives banding… I struggle withbit with every life show and every projection.
A fast sensor ( nikon Z9, Z8? and Sony A1, reduce that problem and more expensive leds an projectors reduce that problem… the larger theaters….
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: [1]   Go Up