Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "The Bleached Swartland"  (Read 480 times)

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
"The Bleached Swartland"
« on: April 17, 2023, 12:45:24 pm »

I was reading an article by Ben Lifson in which he says, "you can take a photograph, anywhere, any time, of anything - and if you are photographing well, you will make a good photograph."

I have been living in the Swartland for eight years and never once thought of going out in the midday sun to take landscape pictures so I took up the challenge.

These photographs show the area at its driest, and, I always thought, its most un-photogenic.

I would like to know what you guys think... ;D

William.

PS. If you look carefully, in one of the images, you will see Cape Town's Table Mountain in the distance!

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Mark Nadler

Re: "The Bleached Swartland"
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2023, 04:08:58 pm »

Just to reinforce your thinking I look for images when I have free time.  Morning, mid-day, rain, whatever, if I have free time I pick up my camera and go hunting for something cool to photograph.  I treat my fly rod and shotguns the same way when in season. 

I think the last image is good.  I would reposition the subject so that it was closer to the middle of the frame -- just my opinion. 

mark

Mark Nadler

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2023, 07:12:30 pm »

Sorry, ignore my advice.  When i opened your image only part of it showed on my screen.  Sorry.  I made eliminate the bit of dirt to the right of the subject.

mark

francois

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2023, 05:23:56 am »

Absolutely fantastic landscapes. I like the sensation of vast expanses of land and this is reinforced by the lighting conditions.
You didn't waste your time at all.
Well done.
Francois

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2023, 07:59:32 am »

I second the idea of going out to shoot when the spirit moves you, regardless of the time of day (or night).

For me, #1 and #3 would look best in the light of the low sun. #2 and #4 work very well just the way they are.

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2023, 08:52:50 am »

Thank you very much for your feedback, I always value your opinions! ;D
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens
Pages: [1]   Go Up