Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Avalanche - Aperture converter  (Read 821 times)

Gigi

• some work
Avalanche - Aperture converter
« on: April 14, 2023, 09:07:09 pm »

Have recently found (and am using) Avalanche for converting Aperture libraries in Capture One or LR. Seems to work well. Thank goodness, as its finally time to get out of Mojave, and sadly leave Aperture behind.

https://cyme.io/avalanche-photo-conversion/
Geoff

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Avalanche - Aperture converter
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2023, 12:58:38 am »

Lightroom comes with an Aperture converter. It does work (but not well).

I am using Aperture still with Monterey using RetroActive, but raw files and crashing are issues.
Custom cropping of JPG and TIF work well for web use as well as all of the editing tools.

Capture One conversion is new I think, but I would not be going to C1 now given its recent changes.

All of these converters tend to take an awful long time if you have big library.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 08:06:24 am »

Long time? Not so bad... I've done like 30gb in say 20 min, and an hour for 100gb. So at least there is a path that works that isn't hard to execute.

Agree with you about latest C1 - its my Raw processor of choice, but boy, they are doing their best to dumb it down. Too bad, as it was a really clean "industrial" type of processor, that made so much sense... although its catalog was never its strong point. LR seems to do well enough with the Aperture files converted so far.
Geoff

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2023, 07:25:21 pm »

Long time? Not so bad... I've done like 30gb in say 20 min, and an hour for 100gb. So at least there is a path that works that isn't hard to execute.
Mine took 3 weeks. What does it convert though?
Ratings, Adjustments, Keywords, Smart Albums?
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2023, 09:05:27 am »

Seems to keep ratings for sure. As I have only used Aperture for cataloging, don't know about the rest.... sorry. Its cheap enough, fast enough. Maybe give it a try?
Geoff

Bozzdivine

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2023, 07:30:32 am »

It sounds like good news that there is a replacement for Aperture

Tord55

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2023, 07:05:16 am »

Have recently found (and am using) Avalanche for converting Aperture libraries in Capture One or LR. Seems to work well. Thank goodness, as its finally time to get out of Mojave, and sadly leave Aperture behind.

https://cyme.io/avalanche-photo-conversion/

Sounds interesting!

Tord55

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2023, 07:13:13 am »

Lightroom comes with an Aperture converter. It does work (but not well).

I am using Aperture still with Monterey using RetroActive, but raw files and crashing are issues.
Custom cropping of JPG and TIF work well for web use as well as all of the editing tools.

Capture One conversion is new I think, but I would not be going to C1 now given its recent changes.

All of these converters tend to take an awfully long time if you have big library.

Been using Retroactive on my Big Sur iMac (sadly not M1 or 2) quite a lot of time, with the same experience
with crashes, occasionally (especially when I do some erasing of unwanted bits in the images. A clean-up with
CleanMyMac X and you are ready to start anew!
Pages: [1]   Go Up