Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One Photo Phase Scanning back CB68  (Read 836 times)

photo570

• http://www.shoot.co.nz
Phase One Photo Phase Scanning back CB68
« on: March 26, 2023, 11:01:27 pm »

Hi everyone.

A bit of a long shot I know, but I am looking for a Photo Phase Scanning back CB68, for use with a Fuji GX680III. I was wondering if anyone had one in a cupboard out back that they ween't using and were happy to sell?

I am on a bit of a nostalgia kick at the moment and thought it would be fun to revisit the late 90's.

Kind regards,
Jason Berge.
Jason Berge
www.shoot.co.nz

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Phase One Photo Phase Scanning back CB68
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 10:08:27 am »

Wow. I've been a Phase One partner for 16 years and have no recollection of there being a "CB68" – Wikipedia says it was one of the absolute first products – 1993. Because of the mechanical parts (the moving scanner-like mechanism) most of the Phase One PowerPhase scan backs I've come across are not in good condition (not working or produce significant streaking or banding) and those are from 1996 to ~2000. I suspect they were more reliable than the CB68 (only a guess of course; I have no empirical data, but generally companies making iterations of a core product improve it over time as they see what tends to fail in the previous model and better learn to assemble and test that product). So finding a working CB68 is a long shot I think (as you said).

Software would definitely be a limiting factor as well. Phase One maintains accessibility (via support; not the website) to more of their legacy software than most companies, but 1993 is definitely pushing it. This back would have zero functionality until connected to a computer running the required software. I assume SCSI connection? Though thankfully it's still feasible (though challenging) to get the appropriate computer hardware, getting/installing/configuring the software would be a journey of its own.

None of this is to dissuade you – it's a neat project, and I wish you luck in it.

Let us know if you succeed!

If you're not specifically "stuck" on the 680III then a PowerPhase or Betterlight to use on a view camera would be a lot less of a unicorn to seek out I think.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 10:21:27 am by Doug Peterson »

routlaw

• http://www.roboutlawphotography.com
Re: Phase One Photo Phase Scanning back CB68
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 12:49:35 pm »

I used to own the Photo Phase large format scanning back. I'll just cut to the chase and state it was a total piece of crap. The linear array if I recall correctly was made by Sanyo and it was notorious for digital bloom in the color of acid green no less. Dynamic range was terrible, noise was terrible and exposure latitude had to fit into a very narrow range otherwise the green blow out. Photographing studio items (products and like) with shiny specular highlights were a nightmare.

I still own a Betterlight Super 6K scanning back and it is on an order of magnitude superior in every way. Funny I don't recall for sure the connection for the Photo Phase but many of those Phase One backs worked off Firewire not SCSI. In any case you would be hard pressed to find a working computer system able to handle what you are asking it to do. Seriously I wouldn't waste my time trying to track this down. If it's nostalgia you are after put some film in that Fuji camera, you would come out way ahead with far less frustration.

Hope this helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up