Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ACR Soft Proofing confusion  (Read 1396 times)

rich42

ACR Soft Proofing confusion
« on: March 24, 2023, 02:30:16 pm »

Hello,

I'm using Adobe Bridge 13.02.636, ACR 15.1.1.1329 and PS 24.1.1. I believe these are the latest versions at this date.

I had not tried ACR soft proofing until updating to these versions a few days ago (don't know if soft proofing was available before).

I access the feature via the "color space link" at the bottom of the ACR window, which takes me to Workflow Options dialog. In that dialog, I had previously only populated the "Space" entry with "ProPhotoRGB" to embed in all images as they subsequently opened in Photoshop.

Now, If, instead, I select an Output Profile for that entry, I can also specify Rendering Intent and paper and ink simulation.

So far, so good - the image assumes a preview version of the print and I can make all my adjustments in ACR based on soft proof appearance.

However, I can then open the image in Photoshop with the output profile tagged to the file. The file now appears to be in Printer color space rather than a source space such as ProPhotoRGB. The image maintains the soft-proofed appearance I created in ACR. It can then be further soft proofed in Photoshop, essentially double soft proofing.

Isn't this just creating color management problems?

What are the consequences of having an image tagged with an output profile? If I send it to someone else wont that just cause havoc with color management?

Or, what am I just not understanding?

Thanks,

Rich

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: ACR Soft Proofing confusion
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 02:38:43 pm »

You really don't want to use the output profile to convert from ACR; just use it for soft proofing. Then when ready to output (and this depends on the output device; local or off site), convert.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

rich42

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 03:10:01 pm »

You really don't want to use the output profile to convert from ACR; just use it for soft proofing.

Right.

But shouldn't the program prevent converting with the output profile in place, or throw up a warning? Or better yet provide the soft proof capability without allowing an output profile to be embedded where a source profile should appear? I don't know if it could be called a bug, but it sure isn't a desirable workflow. The way it's set up, guaranteed a lot of files are going to get converted with printer profiles wrongly embedded.

Oops!

Then when ready to output (and this depends on the output device; local or off site), convert.

emmaagro

• Core Ball
    • Core Ball
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2023, 02:47:00 am »

Here's the issue: I've been printing on a Canon Pro-300 with generally acceptable result, meaning the prints matched the screen fairly well in ...Soft-proofing is the capability to preview in how onscreen photos appear when printed, and optimize them  Core Ballfor a particular output device. Soft-proofing in the Lightroom Classic lets you evaluate how images appear when printed, and adjust them so that you can reduce surprising tone and color shifts.Soft-proofing is the capability to see how your photos will appear when printed. It gives you an idea of the output quality before you click Print. Ideally, you can use the soft-proof information to further edit your image and compensate for changes imposed by your printer or paper's performance limitations.
Pages: [1]   Go Up