Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Travel compact camera  (Read 1219 times)

lmatias

Travel compact camera
« on: March 15, 2023, 11:49:05 am »

Hello everybody

I've been an amateur photographer for a long time (since the days of 35mm film. I even used a Nikon F...).
I currently use a Nikon D200 with several DX lenses (and some old manual FX).

When traveling I usually use the D200 + Nikkor 18-200mm set but the weight (1.5kg) is starting to be unbearable and the camera is out of date.

I want to buy a light, compact machine with easy access to the main commands available on DSLRs (bracketing, exposure compensation, exposure and/or focus memorisation, etc). It may or may not have interchangeable lenses, but I want to have some zoom to get some range.

Must have viewfinder...

Image quality should be the best possible so I'm leaning towards sensors at least 1'' and at most APS-C. I give some value to image stabilization, in the body and/or in the lenses.

My preferences go to the models below but I accept your suggestions:
Canon G1 X MARK III 15-45mm f2.8-5.6 (23-69mm FX)
Sony DSC-RX100 VII 1'' 9-72mm f2.8-4.5 (24-200mm FX)
Sony DSC-RX100 VI 1'' 9-72mm f2.8-4.5 (24-200mm FX)
Canon PowerShot G5 X Mark II 1'' 8.8-44mm f1.8-2.8 (24-120mm FX)
Panasonic LX100 II 4/3 10.9-34mm f/1.7-2.8 (24-75mm FX)
Fuji X-S10 or X-T30 II with XF 18-135MM F/3.5-5.6 (27-203mm FX)
I'm quite inclined towards the Canon's but the 1'' sensor, which I've never used, raises some doubts and the volume/weight of the G1 Mark III also limits me a bit.

I think the Fuji set would be the best option in terms of image quality and versatility, but the high price and volume/weight are negative points

What are your opinions and suggestions?

Thanks

LM

Jonathan Cross

Re: Travel compact camera
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2023, 12:05:49 pm »

As well as the Fuji X-S10 and X-T30 also consider the Fuji X-E4.  I have mine customised via buttons, the My Menu and the Q button to meet all my requirements.  I love it for travel or just having with me.  The package of it and the 27mm pancake lens is ideal for everyday use.

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2023, 12:41:55 pm »

You might consider the Sony RX10 IV. I'm pretty happy with one for travel since 2019:
https://amateurphotographer.com/buying-advice/best-used-bridge-cameras-in-2023/
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

lmatias

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2023, 03:05:32 pm »

As well as the Fuji X-S10 and X-T30 also consider the Fuji X-E4.  I have mine customised via buttons, the My Menu and the Q button to meet all my requirements.  I love it for travel or just having with me.  The package of it and the 27mm pancake lens is ideal for everyday use.

Jonathan

You have your reason. The X-E4 is one excellent option

lmatias

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2023, 03:09:47 pm »

You might consider the Sony RX10 IV. I'm pretty happy with one for travel since 2019:
https://amateurphotographer.com/buying-advice/best-used-bridge-cameras-in-2023/

I'm glad you mentioned this type of gear with massive zoom. This RX10 is very good but weights 1kg... :(

lmatias

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2023, 05:48:14 am »

Thank you all.
In terms of a compact machine, I think my preference will go to the Sony RX100vii for its volume/weight, zoom range and customization. I still haven't managed to grab one of these machines to see how it "feels" in my hand. The Canon G1 X MARK III is my compact alternative (bigger sensor)
As for mirrorless SLRs, I'll wait for Nikon's developments this year to see if a Z50 or Z fc comes with IBIS. Or a D500 replacement in the Z line

wcarlew

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2023, 06:27:06 am »

I have had a couple versions of the RX100 including the latest mkVII. In decent light they work quite well. I would recommend an aftermarket grip, for me it made huge improvement in the handling. 

Richard Franiec's Camera Accessories

I'm not sure if these are still available.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2023, 10:17:53 am »

The Sony RX100 is a fine camera--my wife has one. It is VERY compact, though, and if you have large hands (like me) you may find it hard to handle.

My travel camera is the Sony RX-10. With a 1" 20MP sensor and 24-600mm equiv lens (fixed) it handles pretty much any situation. The lens (Zeiss) is an amazing performer given the zoom range.

For half the price of the Sony, the Lumix DMC-FZ2500 (Leica lens) is worth a look.
Pages: [1]   Go Up