Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon IPF-1000 stripe-looking artifacts on gradient areas - SOLVED  (Read 718 times)

nicnilov

Hello,

Here is my recent email to Canon support, verbatim:

I'm having a printing issue manifesting as stripe-looking artifacts on gradient areas. The stripes are in direction of the printer head movement. This is most prominent in blue tones on glossy papers and on A4 size, but also happens on matte, A3, and toned monochrome. Doesn't seem to depend on the paper thickness and weight.

I'm printing from Canon Professional Print & Layout Photoshop plugin (both latest version, though the issue was present with the previous ones as well). Print settings are Highest quality, Unidirectional, everything else default. Rendering intent typically Relative, but sometimes Perceptual. Used both the manual and the top feeds. Paper is completely flat, no curling. Media settings and ICC profiles for Canon papers are vendor's, for Hahnemuhle papers the settings came from the vendor as am1x files. The nozzles check (provided) does not display any issues.

Please see the example images on several papers, and the nozzle check pattern here.

The stripes tend to accumulate in the first 4 and last 6 cm of the paper in print direction (regardless of paper size). Seem to only affect gradient or low detail areas - the stripes are not visible over areas having more details. On toned monochrome it may be difficult to notice, but scrolling the image up and down reveals the irregularity. Note on some images (winter snow on the foreground) the thin stripe artifacts go through the whole length of the area, even though they are primarily noticeable near both ends of the area. Please let me know if you need more information.

Two questions for your consideration:

1. My experience printing is not so big, but maybe the issue is familiar to someone here, who could kindly explain the reason and the fix.

2. Canon processed this request for some days then got back, saying an onsite service is required, and a technician would contact me soon. The printer is out of the warranty so they suggested talking about the costs in advance. What surprised me somewhat is they didn't ask any followup questions, but decided the onsite service is needed based on this my message alone. Is this a typical course of action for Canon support? Any advice?

« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 04:29:31 pm by nicnilov »

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
Re: Canon IPF-1000 stripe-looking artifacts on gradient areas
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 06:50:40 am »

Hi,

Try: Printing Preferences --> Main --> Advanced Settings... --> Print Head Height --> set to: Avoid Paper Abrasion
and in the same dialog box check --> Unidirectional printing
Also set the Print Quality Highest to slow printing speed as much as possible.

nicnilov

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 03:26:37 pm »

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. The quality is already set to Highest, and Unidirectional is specified as well. I don't believe this is an abrasion issue - I had it on a curled paper and the pattern is very different. Also this happens on several types of paper, light, heavy, on stock settings. Note on the example images the only areas affected are the ones low on detail. As soon as an area with more details starts, the artifacts disappear. It doesn't happen at all on the same paper with different character of images. I'm inclined to believe this is an image data interpretation issue, software or firmware.

Regards,

TSJ1927

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 07:06:54 pm »

I'm using a Canon Pro 4000, so it's the same print head.  I had similar problems pop-up about a year ago.  I fixed the problem using Print Head Alignment & Paper Feed Adjustment in the Maintenance section.  May need to do a Color Calibration too.  I have never used a Pro 1000 but I thought the menus would be similar.   Good luck 

nicnilov

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2023, 07:51:20 pm »

Thanks for the advice. So far I've tried the following:

Print head alignment (Auto)
Manual feed roller cleaning
Paper feed adjustment (on a custom media created for the same paper)
Color calibration (Common)

And have yet to try

Print head alignment (Manual)
Bottom plate cleaning

While the overall smoothness (subjectively) became better, the issue is still there and not reduced.

On closer inspection I noticed some of the older images with the same defect also have a regular stripe pattern over the whole length of the sheet, very drastic. The newer tests mostly have very smooth gradients, it seems only some specific deeper shades of blue are affected.

There was an interesting suggestion that since the main artifact appears close to the tail of the sheet, it might be an effect of the vacuum turning off and the paper springing up a bit, spoiling the alignment. I tried printing on a hard paper, supported on the way out to further reduce bending, and the issue is still there.

In general, the glossier the paper - the more apparent the issue. What could this be?

nicnilov

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2023, 05:57:12 pm »

Did the Bottom plate cleaning. It took me about 6 rounds until the smudges on the paper sheet became reasonably small. They didn't disappear completely though. The smudges are at the top side of the sheet, gathered to the right where the head resides.

Canon manual says:

Check the folded parts of the ejected paper. If they are smudged with ink, perform Bottom Plate Cleaning again.

That's after the first try. After the second try they recommend cleaning protrusions with a cotton swab or similar. The manual picture generally shows cleaning whatever is accessible from the top. Given that the smudges are at the top side of the sheet, meaning wiped from the bottom of the head assembly or the head itself, I'm not sure whether the cotton swab advice applies. In any case it would require getting the head out, which I'd like to avoid.

Anyway, I did some more experiments. The paper on which I first noticed the issue and where it is very pronounced is Canon PP-201, which is Glossy II. The next examples were all printed on this paper after the bottom plate cleaning (which might not be a factor after all).

1. Printed a synthetic image with a repeated pattern of the area where on the original image the issue was the most visible. The result is a big improvement. The artifact is still faintly visible though. This was printed using media setting of PPP Glossy II A, and the matching Glossy II A ICC profile. This media was installed after the 3.010 printer firmware update some years ago. As this is a predefined media, Paper Feed Adjustment is not possible, which might be the reason for the faint vertical stripes pattern visible when magnified. See here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rd4GdypMMEc6ntPU6elNHL44_6EyeYfa/view

2. Printed the original image with the same media settings as above, with nearly the same result, a huge improvement but not quite complete.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16DF9FYXT6KjcVyLIJMhpqPOjZzxlvj9o/view

3. Printed the original image using a custom media which resembles the settings of PPP Glossy II A as much as possible, with the Paper Feed Adjustment done, so should be the best configuration. Yet the artifact is back again at full scale.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m_nKYjZofUcAnJcX9s2dZnpLuzu6_1Dw/view

4. Printed the original image with the same custom media from Photoshop's Print menu (the others all printed from Professional Print and Layout PS plugin). The improvement is there again to the same extent.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hmmcjSlG12PsdodcezL_xcrfxlWDf4uD/view

---

At this point it seems reasonable to assume the issue is not on the hardware side. The nozzle check is good, the maintenance and cleaning rounds done, and the printer proved it can print the area almost fine at the same spot, and completely fine elsewhere on the page.

There is a chance it might be a transport issue due to the persistent location of the artifact, but then it shouldn't vary as much with the media setting, should it? Especially with the print head setting, hmm...

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2023, 12:21:18 pm »

From the images you have posted showing the ‘stripes’ looks to me as if one of the magenta nozzle groups may not be firing properly (or possibly the blue ?).  The fact that this seems to occur near the end of a print, that you also appear to have a leaking head, and that you have tried all the cleaning routines suggests that the printer head may be need replacing.

I have found that a printer can have nozzle problems even though the nozzle-check prints fine.  It is when the printer presented with having to print a lot of ink over a fairly uniform area, and particularly towards the end of a page, that problems seem to show themselves.

nicnilov

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2023, 02:35:02 pm »

Thanks for your reply.

This makes sense, yet how would you explain the significant difference in results between various media settings (the amount of ink is configured identically though), and especially between same media but different printing software?

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2023, 07:28:06 am »

Thanks for your reply.

This makes sense, yet how would you explain the significant difference in results between various media settings (the amount of ink is configured identically though), and especially between same media but different printing software?

Yes, a good point.  Different media settings put down different amounts of ink.  Different software may also have an influence on the amount of ink put down.

Form what you say, and from the images you have posted, the effect does seem to be present to some degree with all papers and software.  This would lead me to believe that it was probably the printer head.

You could try some more cleaning and see if this helps but if your printer has seen a lot of service then I would suspect that the head needs replacing.  With the Canon IPF-1000 I believe you can do this yourself.

If you are in Europe or the UK, and the printer is less than 6 years old, then under consumer law you should be able to get it repaired, or the head replaced, without charge.

nicnilov

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023, 09:20:42 am »

This all makes a very good sense, thanks for your input. I'm in Europe and the printer is 4.5 years old and is out of warranty, so I'm surprised the head change could be without charge, are you sure? Here's what Canon representative said in the last round:

Since the printer is out of warranty I recommend you ask the technician about repair costs when he or she contacts you.

Haven't heard from the technician yet so not sure what those costs may relate to.

---

The printer has not seen much use, I print mostly on weekends and then not always. E.g. I only printed 26 sheets during the year of 2022. I still try to keep it in shape by running a nozzle check every week or two. In this mode most of the ink went to the maintenance tank, but that's a different story. What is relevant is the ink still comes through the nozzles, wearing them out.

With that said I can't really tell how much real use the head had. I wouldn't be surprised though it could be worn out in 4.5 years given the mention somewhere on the forum, heard from a Canon technician that a normal service time of a head is 2 years. In that context it's also surprising it could be replaced without charge. This all is speculative though, probably have to speak with the technician after all.

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2023, 10:52:15 am »

This all makes a very good sense, thanks for your input. I'm in Europe and the printer is 4.5 years old and is out of warranty, so I'm surprised the head change could be without charge, are you sure? Here's what Canon representative said in the last round:

Haven't heard from the technician yet so not sure what those costs may relate to.

---

The printer has not seen much use, I print mostly on weekends and then not always. E.g. I only printed 26 sheets during the year of 2022. I still try to keep it in shape by running a nozzle check every week or two. In this mode most of the ink went to the maintenance tank, but that's a different story. What is relevant is the ink still comes through the nozzles, wearing them out.

With that said I can't really tell how much real use the head had. I wouldn't be surprised though it could be worn out in 4.5 years given the mention somewhere on the forum, heard from a Canon technician that a normal service time of a head is 2 years. In that context it's also surprising it could be replaced without charge. This all is speculative though, probably have to speak with the technician after all.

Your statutory rights are separate from, and usually supersede the manufacturer's guarantee.  In the UK it is the seller who is legally responsible, and the time limit is 6 years.  I believe European consumer rights are very similar.  So, you could contact the seller and see what they have to say.  Another option is to get the repair done by Canon and then claim back the cost from the seller, although you should contact the seller first.  Best that you find out the statutory consumer protections are in the country where you are.

nicnilov

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2023, 04:28:49 pm »

The issue is now fixed. A single-line message from a Canon technician turned out to be enough. Well, also an attachment quoting part of the manual. Here is the relevant bit from the online version:

Printing Area

To ensure the best print quality, the printer allows a margin along each edge of media. The actual printable area will be the area inside these margins.

Recommended printing area: Canon recommends that you print within this area.

Printable area: The area where it is possible to print. However, printing in this area can affect the print quality or the paper feed precision.

The emphasis is mine. The prints having the issue were all made with narrow margins of 5mm all around. The feed precision was already pointed out here as one of the main potential factors, but it wasn't connected with the print margins. Prints of the same image on A4 made per the manual recommendations with 25mm margins came out fine. RTFM, I guess.

Thanks, everyone!
Pages: [1]   Go Up