Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Superblooms expected in Western United States?  (Read 1093 times)

soharaus

Any Superblooms expected in Western United States?
« on: March 10, 2023, 02:42:23 pm »

With all the late storms, snow, rain and floods, are there any late superblooms expected in CA, OR, AZ or other western states? Any websites or resources to find current conditions?
Thanks.

MDL_SD

Re: Any Superblooms expected in Western United States?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 02:57:55 pm »

I am not going to call it a "super bloom" but I am told that the flowers are blooming all over in Anza Borrego State Park. 

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 09:24:50 pm »

National Geo, LA Times and other newspapers have been blowing the horn for the expected Superbloom now for several weeks. But, we're back into more Pineapple Expresses so everything keeps on getting soaked and saturated.

There's a potential for a great bloom but with the rain and now a few more weeks of cold temps, IDK.

Check the usual websites for updates:

https://theodorepayne.org

https://www.desertusa.com

The usual NPS and State Park websites, etc.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

BAB

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2023, 07:07:06 pm »

With the rains we have had the desert floor will light up this Month, you can already see growth from Beaumont east.
two weeks ago there was yellow and purple flowers at the south entrance to JTNP.

Rains are not over more coming next week for sure.

Expect a colorful desert floor in the right locations

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

tsinsf

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023, 06:59:20 pm »

According to photographer David Kingham (owner of Nature Photographer's Network), probably not. He wrote recently:

This year has been a wild ride for Death Valley. It has been much colder and wetter than usual. Right now, the temperature is only 55 degrees when it should be a balmy 85 degrees at this time of the year. We have also witnessed some crazy weather events, such as numerous brutal windstorms, snow at low elevations, and torrential rains that caused flash floods. It has been quite an adventure!

You may wonder if all this rain means we will see a super bloom in Death Valley - a rare phenomenon when the desert is covered with millions of wildflowers. Sadly, that is not likely to happen this year. While spring rain is essential for a super bloom, other factors also need to align:
    Rain in October or November helps the seeds germinate and grow in winter. The massive flood event in August was too early for most seeds to benefit.
    Spring sunshine and warmth: This triggers the flowers to bloom. However, it has been very cloudy and chilly lately. Without enough sun and heat, many seeds will not sprout or blossom.
    Lack of strong winds: This protects the flowers from being damaged or blown away by the wind. However, it has been one of the windiest seasons we have ever seen here. The delicate flowers cannot withstand such harsh conditions.

As you can see, the circumstances have not been favorable for a super bloom this year. That does not mean there will be no flowers - just not a super bloom. We are keeping an eye on an area that looks promising for an isolated bloom where the hillsides are green with plants. Hopefully, we will get to see some flowers before we leave.

BAB

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2023, 06:37:49 pm »

Yep that's all factual but Perennials are less fussy about the timing of rainfall.

So if the soil is 55 degrees and it receives 6 hours of sunlight the little flowers will pop up..maybe not your class super bloom but lots of flowers.
The little buggers only last about two weeks anyway.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

BAB

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2023, 05:01:24 pm »

looks as if carrazo plaines will bloom or better yet super bloom in April or before

soharaus

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2023, 06:15:38 pm »

Thanks for all the information. Heading that way in tends. Fingers crossed. BAB, your shot looks like a super bloom - I hope to swing by JTNP.
Cheers.

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2023, 04:14:56 pm »

Definitely hit the superstitions in Arizona. It might be approaching finish, but it was insane a week ago or so. Like, never before.
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2023, 12:11:11 pm »

Headed south to the Carrizo Plain, Shell Creek and Antelope Valley.

Shell Creek was too populated and the closer one drove to SR 58, the more the 2-legged cattle had trampled the flowers, especially behind the "No Trespassing" signs. However, it was still quite spectacular and lots of good flower on the shoulder of the road were good enough to do details and with a little effort, fields of goldfield and tidy tip flowers could be made without paths and people.

Carrizo was nice but didn't seem as colorful as my trip in 2017 during one of the last superblooms. The highlight was a nice family of desert candle probably missed by most. Probably the best of those I've seen. At the top of the Temblor Range was the best fields of golden and orange hillsides of color.

Antelope Valley was mostly a bust. The Poppy Reserve looked as those there were more cars than clumps of golden poppies. However, there was still enough in the conservation reserve off SR 138 and east of 170th.

Here's a few from earlier this week (April 10-11, 2023).
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

BAB

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2023, 06:13:59 pm »

According to one of my sources Carrizo Plaines is expected to reach peak between April 21st to April 27th and be the most expansive super-bloom in the last decade. I know you saw mostly yellow in the plains and the hills are just starting to bloom and those yellows are the first colors to bloom before the orange, blue, purple and reds.
Im planing a trip up there on Sunday afternoon the 23rd of April it might be a week early from recent reports.

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2023, 07:19:42 pm »

Carrizo
I can confirm, Carrizo is in full bloom. Also, that in my opinion, it's relatively boring, as there's very little subject matter to work with other than rolling hills. Don't get me wrong, the superbloom is out of this world by it self, but if you want other subject matter to include, you'll be hard pressed.
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.
Pages: [1]   Go Up