Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are "archival" double sided tapes safe?  (Read 634 times)

Benny Profane

Are "archival" double sided tapes safe?
« on: February 25, 2023, 09:29:20 pm »

Are they really archival?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 10:52:28 pm by Benny Profane »

TonyW

Re: Are "archival" double sided tapes safe?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023, 06:51:02 am »

Acid neutral ATG tape for instance may be considered archival in as much as it should not react with boards and most papers.  However, it should not come anywhere near the artwork or be used for mounting prints directly.

Archival mounting strips may be a better alternative for non permanent print holding these are made from conservation quality polyester and acid free paper with a self adhesive backing strip and no adhesive can come into contact with the artwork.

http://blog.ukpictureframingsupplies.co.uk/picture-mounting/conservation-mounting-protection-artwork/

Benny Profane

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2023, 02:13:15 pm »

I was at an exhibition yesterday and was admiring a photo that was unmatted, floating in a larger frame. It was a nice look, had a very slight curl on the bottom to emphasize the float. I am assuming it was adhered to the backing board with tape of some sort. Also an affordable way to frame. Maybe not archival, but, hey, five to ten years? I could live with that.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 04:32:19 pm »

Are they really archival?
Framers have used them for probably decades to stick double and triple mats together, so I would say yes.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up