Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A1 printer recommendations  (Read 844 times)

alex

• Alex Ramsay Photography
A1 printer recommendations
« on: February 16, 2023, 11:46:13 am »

Just considering moving up from an Epson P800 printer to something that will allow me to print at A1 / 24" size. I've always used Epson, in various iterations, and on the whole been pleased with them, particularly my current model, but would certainly look at other manufacturers. Does anyone have any recommendations as to good reliable 24" fine art printers - or alternatively warnings as to which should be avoided? I do not, sadly, have an entirely unlimited budget and ink costs would be a consideration.
Thanks,
Alex
Alex Ramsay
Website at http://www.alexra

Benny Profane

Re: A1 printer recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 01:46:06 pm »

Just remember, when you go bigger, you will need more room in your studio/room for finished prints and supplies, and, well, the larger printer. Your storage room just got about 25-33% smaller.

I'd stick with Epson, but, would love to hear if the 24 inch printer is as reliable as my P800, which is a workhorse.

aaronleitz

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2023, 05:05:20 pm »

I'm sure you can't go wrong with either Epson or Canon. Check out the Canon Pro 2100. I have the Pro 4100 (44" version) and really like it. I've only been printing seriously for about a year. Loading paper is a breeze, printing via Canon's Professional Print & Layout software is awesome. Colors are pretty bang on. It sits idle for weeks and then fires up without issue.

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2023, 01:03:06 pm »

Things change, sometimes almost radically going from a 17" to a 24" printer. Costs go up, space needs go up but what might change the most is the overall reliability, re clogging. The Epson 38xx, P800, and P900 almost never clog, the more "professional" printers that are designed for regular use are a bit more finicky based on what I've read. Mark Segal, one of the best reviewers out there says his P5000 is more prone to clogs than the "lesser" machines. There are lots of concerns about the not so dearly departed 4900 or 4990, it clogged as soon as you looked at it.

Bottom line is that it's more than just an increase in size. Do some searching, there's lots of information here and at PhotoPXL. Look at Keith Cooper's website as well, Northlight Imaging.

Good luck in your quest.

Benny Profane

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2023, 12:00:26 pm »

Yeah, I'd like to hear more, too. I used to be around many 7900s and 9900s in a professional, commercial environment , and thought that I'd own one, since they never broke down, hardly ever, but, some ran 24/5-7, most at least 9-5, M-F. But then I heard about the issues that intermittent use brought. My P800 can withstand a month and more downtime, and be back with just a cleaning or two. I like that.

Randy Carone

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2023, 12:08:32 pm »

Hard to beat the 3880/P800s. Workhorse printers that don't mind sitting around waiting for the occasional print. Can't say the same for larger Epson's (which I used to sell). How important is that 24" ;)
Randy Carone
Pages: [1]   Go Up