Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon IPF-8300 to IPF8400 Head and Ink Swap?  (Read 555 times)

mcpix

• Macframes
Canon IPF-8300 to IPF8400 Head and Ink Swap?
« on: February 16, 2023, 02:32:59 am »

I have a Canon IPF-8300 that has been working for over 12 years. It's still working fine, and I know I've gotten more than my fair use out of it. Like many on this forum I'm stuck between buying a new Epson with all the clogging and mechanical issues and a new Canon with an ink set that may be worse than the one on my 8300. I have the opportunity to pick up a used Canon IPF-8400 at a decent price. The good thing is that it hasn't been used much. The bad thing is that it hasn't been used at all for about 4 years.

If I remember correctly some members have said that I can swap the ink cartridges from my 8300 to the 8400. I've also read somewhere that you can also swap out the heads as long as the left head on the 8300 is swapped for the left head on the 8400 and the right side the same.

I was wondering if anyone in this forum had actually made this swap?

deanwork

Re: Canon IPF-8300 to IPF8400 Head and Ink Swap?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2023, 09:32:35 am »

Not sure about the head swap and ink carts but you can find out by simply googling them and look at the serial numbers to see if they are the same.

What you are facing though is the end of the line support for the 8400 which is next year. I knew it was coming up. The 8300 ended about 4 or 5 years ago. I couldn’t get Canon to work on mine anymore and parts were not available then.

https://proprintingsystems.com/canon-ipf-printer-models-to-be-discontinued/

These are great reliable machines but if you can’t get inks and heads it’s the end. Even if you can get them they will jack up the price most likely and supplies will be sketchy.

You really should call Canon about the ink and head availability, but this list says next year for the 8400 and that’s about what I remember for another Canon document I had found before.

John

I have a Canon IPF-8300 that has been working for over 12 years. It's still working fine, and I know I've gotten more than my fair use out of it. Like many on this forum I'm stuck between buying a new Epson with all the clogging and mechanical issues and a new Canon with an ink set that may be worse than the one on my 8300. I have the opportunity to pick up a used Canon IPF-8400 at a decent price. The good thing is that it hasn't been used much. The bad thing is that it hasn't been used at all for about 4 years.

If I remember correctly some members have said that I can swap the ink cartridges from my 8300 to the 8400. I've also read somewhere that you can also swap out the heads as long as the left head on the 8300 is swapped for the left head on the 8400 and the right side the same.

I was wondering if anyone in this forum had actually made this swap?

routlaw

• http://www.roboutlawphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 02:04:52 pm »

I'll throw my two cents worth in. Also had the iPF 8300 for several years but changed to the Pro 4100 around 4 years ago. Like you having owned many of the Epson's both desktop and large format the thought of going back to those troubles were too daunting for me. I have no regrets regarding the 4100 and thus far knock on wood no issues what so ever. I have not found the new ink set with the 4100 to be worse, not sure where this is coming from. I make all of my own custom printer profiles with X-Rite i1 Profiler 3.

The only thing worth complaining about is the new integrated printer plug in module from Canon. It really does take sometime to get used to it, nowhere near as user friendly as the one with the 8300 but it still beats the crap out of the CMD + Print scenario you would be stuck with on an Epson sans aftermarket RIP.

The 4100 is faster, quieter and produces stunning prints assuming you have an excellent printer profiles. I have yet to see any canned printer profiles from the manufacturers top notch but Canson's are not too bad. Please let me know if you have any questions. Be glad to answer if I can.

mearussi

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2023, 11:27:53 am »

The inks and heads are the same. My friend recently lost his 8300 due to a suggested firmware update (recommended by a Canon tech) that wound up bricking his printer (Canon, of course, assumes no responsibility for any damage their firmware may cause to your printer) and since no parts are available found another used 8400 on Craigslist and was able to just pull his inks out of his 8300 and put them in the 8400.

But if Canon ever suggests you do a firmware update I suggest you say no.

routlaw

• http://www.roboutlawphotography.com
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2023, 01:57:43 pm »

In all fairness I have installed many firmware updates on both the 8300 as well as my newer 4100 without any issues what so ever. It occurs to me perhaps the wrong FW update was chosen for the given printer otherwise I can't think of any reason why an update would kill a printer.

mcpix

• Macframes
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2023, 02:09:52 pm »

Thanks for all the great feedback!

I'm not so concerned about the lack of service support as I am the fact that the 8300/8400 inks won't be available after 2025. That means I have 3 years left with my current printer as well. At some point I'm going to have to make the switch to a new printer.

I had toyed with the idea of picking up an Epson 7000 (seemed to be relatively trouble free), but another gallery just contacted me about doing work for them as their Epson 7000 is clogged! Like many on this forum, I wish there was a more clear cut option for a new printer.

Thanks again for the help.

mearussi

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2023, 01:27:33 am »

Thanks for all the great feedback!

I'm not so concerned about the lack of service support as I am the fact that the 8300/8400 inks won't be available after 2025. That means I have 3 years left with my current printer as well. At some point I'm going to have to make the switch to a new printer.

Thanks again for the help.
I've been using outdated in all my printers, both Epson and Canon, for years without any problems. I currently own a 6400 and even though Canon may not make any more new ink after 2025 there will still be plenty of outdated ink for years after that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up