Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: MacPro 2018, Latest OS to Run licensed Photo Shop/Lightroom?  (Read 1882 times)

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
MacPro 2018, Latest OS to Run licensed Photo Shop/Lightroom?
« on: February 09, 2023, 06:47:47 pm »

I've recently purchased the Mac Studio Ultra and love it.
However, tired of paying monthly to Adobe when I own PS CS5 and LR 6 licenses.
Also have a Capture One 3.7.7.

Frankly I need nothing of consequence that has been added to PS/LR since the went to a "rental program.

Now I  have a MacPro 2013 late with the OWC 2TB SSD drive that is really great.
So why buy the Studio?  For fun, plus I want to reverse the OS on it, now Monterey 12.6.3, to something that will run my old licensed flavors of PS and LR.

Getting different stories on the net so wondering if anyone here has done it?

In short, what is the latist version of Mac OS that will take the "X" version of PS/LR?
What is the latest version of PS/LR that will work on the above OS?
I have CS5 registered on Mar 15,2012 and 13 registered on May 14, 2012 for PS.

For LR I have 5 and 6 registered.

Anyone done this?

What is the latest PS/LR that operated in only 34bit mode?  A buddy said he had PS7?
If so, I'll pick one up on eBay.

Summary:  Take the MacPro back to the latest version of OS that will support the latest versions of PS & LR licenses.

Solutions and comments appreciated.
Thanks!

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: MacPro 2018, Latest OS to Run licensed Photo Shop/Lightroom?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2023, 04:36:32 am »

I think OSX 10.11 el Capitan was the last version that was officially supported.

After that you get some problems like with running batch jobs- with me they quited after some minutes.

10.14 mojave is the last OS running 32 bit apps. I still have it running here because of that.

Must say going back to LR6 is a huge difference - speed has become much faster ( factor 2 and more) and the new masking tools are a great development - as is the combination of clarity, tecture and dehaze...
Photoshop on the other hand has not improved that much if you take off the raw developement. it certainly has not become more stable . it used to be one of my most stable programs; not anymore.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2023, 06:54:45 am »

I think OSX 10.11 el Capitan was the last version that was officially supported.

After that you get some problems like with running batch jobs- with me they quited after some minutes.

10.14 mojave is the last OS running 32 bit apps. I still have it running here because of that.

Must say going back to LR6 is a huge difference - speed has become much faster ( factor 2 and more) and the new masking tools are a great development - as is the combination of clarity, tecture and dehaze...
Photoshop on the other hand has not improved that much if you take off the raw developement. it certainly has not become more stable . it used to be one of my most stable programs; not anymore.

As much as I dislike the "Library" logic of Catalogs and Sessions (Which will work with my work flow logic), I have run expensive tests with Affinity Photo, DXO, PS CC/LR, ACR and find that Capture One 23 Pro is giving me the best ripped RAW of anything I've used.  I've also found their Clarity, De-Hase and Style Brushes far better than PS CC.

I will just use the 2018 as access to History Brush and a few other tool worth keeping the ability to get to.  I've found that listing the 2013 MacPro even with the OWC 2TB SSD in it is not getting much interest, thus sale price would not be worth loosing it as a back up to the Ultra.  (I only work on a images on the Ultra, once near done a copy got out to external SSD which the 2013 can always access.)

Thus, OSX 10.11 El Capitan is what I should reformat the 2013 back to from the current Monterey?

I was pondering IF I should try an external SSD with boot OSX 10.11?
Would not have to delete all the other apps I have on the 2013 that way, which includes C1 Pro v. 22.
(I never do batch and I very rarely use LR, basically never.)

Thoughts?

Balafre

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2023, 03:32:32 pm »

Hi, I understand your pain! CS6 was the last fully owned version of PS, and it runs successfully on 10.13.6. The curse of tech is that they assume files become obsolescent too so to maintain access and readability I run multiple startup drives configured with different versions of OSX. Upon turning the machine on, simply hold down 'command and option' and it will display all the drives one can boot off.
All the best, C.

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2023, 04:21:50 pm »

Hi, I understand your pain! CS6 was the last fully owned version of PS, and it runs successfully on 10.13.6. The curse of tech is that they assume files become obsolescent too so to maintain access and readability I run multiple startup drives configured with different versions of OSX. Upon turning the machine on, simply hold down 'command and option' and it will display all the drives one can boot off.
All the best, C.

Exactly what I needed to know, Thanks!

Thinking today to take a 1TB SSD external T-Bolt drive, load 10.13.6 that you suggest  and not touch the OWC internal SSD in the 2013.

Just download DMG for OS for 10.13.6. 

Thanks again,
Jack

imagetone

• http://www.tonymayimages.com
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2023, 05:46:45 pm »

The Mac Tracker app is the easiest place to see the earliest and latest versions of MacOS that will run on any given Mac. It used to be the case (presumably still is) that Macs will not boot into any OS version earlier than the one that was current when that model was released.

Balafre

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2023, 06:04:05 pm »

Hi! NO! provided you have a fully clean and re-initialised HD, you can install and run almost any version of OSX on it (eg - compatibility with Rosetta format files ended with OSX10.6 (yes I run that on a separate SSD too) - but what Apple did was only ship their newest machines with their most recent version of OSX. Sometimes finding the right version of the OSX .dmg can be hard - a good computer repair place will have them on file for loading. If you have trouble finding one DM me.
What may happen though is that you may not be able to read data files which were created in a higher OSX if overlaid into an older version.

TechTalk

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2023, 08:43:41 pm »

The Mac Tracker app is the easiest place to see the earliest and latest versions of MacOS that will run on any given Mac.

Your suggestion is excellent. Mactracker is a great app. Another online option is everymac.com.

It used to be the case (presumably still is) that Macs will not boot into any OS version earlier than the one that was current when that model was released.

This is almost always the case. Your Mac may have a newer version installed when you buy it than was current when that model was released, but the OS vesrion that was current at the time of introduction is nearly always the oldest version which will boot any given Mac model. To quote a Macworld article:

It is unlikely that your Mac will be able to run a version of macOS or Mac OS X that is older than the one that was installed on it when you bought it. You may find you can’t install an old version of Mac OS X on a new Mac because the drivers for the hardware in your new Mac simply don’t exist in the old software, so it can’t run.

Simply speaking, Macs cannot boot into an OS X version older than the one they shipped with when new, even if it’s installed in a virtual machine. If you want to run older versions of OS X on your Mac, you need to get an older Mac that can run them.

However there may be exceptions, for example, if you bought a Mac in 2017, but the spec hadn’t changed from the predecessor, or the model was actually introduced a few years earlier, you may find you can run an older version of macOS on it.

Once you've determined your specific Mac model designation, a source for minimum and maximum Mac OS version compatibility is the Mac OS Compatibility Guide from OWC.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 12:50:47 am by TechTalk »
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

Balafre

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2023, 04:39:34 pm »

You can nominate a variety of boot disks running different OSX's via the Start Up Disk section in Settings. I have several Mac Pro's, one being an up-spec'd v4 twin hex-core released 2007 that's run 10.11/12/13/14 natively but also 10.6 via a separate onboard SSD that I can select as I indicated earlier to run upon re-start. Upon shutddown it reverts upon restart back to the native OSX. Easy !

Balafre

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2023, 04:43:20 pm »

The other thing is that what Apple specify as limits is not always so - the aforementioned machine was supposedly only capable of running 96 Gb RAM but happily runs 128 Gb without harming anything and uses it all. Geek Benches at 33,800. Life is a practical art, not a theory ! Consult widely and form your own opinion.

TechTalk

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2023, 10:43:22 pm »

You can nominate a variety of boot disks running different OSX's via the Start Up Disk section in Settings. I have several Mac Pro's, one being an up-spec'd v4 twin hex-core released 2007 that's run 10.11/12/13/14 natively but also 10.6 via a separate onboard SSD that I can select as I indicated earlier to run upon re-start. Upon shutddown it reverts upon restart back to the native OSX. Easy !

There's nothing "easy" about getting an OS version to boot on an unsupported system. You may (or may not) be able to hack a solution, but you're running a Hack not a Mac and there's no assurances as to what may (or may not) work. It certainly requires much more than just putting an operating system on a connected drive and selecting whatever unsupported OS version from which you want to boot! Good luck with that plan.

Upgrade information from EveryMac for an *Early 2009 Mac Pro version 4,1 Mac Pro "Eight Core" (natively supports OS X 10.5.6—10.11.6):

*This system fully supports the last version of OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion" and OS X 10.9 "Mavericks" with the exception of the "AirPlay Mirroring" and "Power Nap" features (AirDrop is supported, but only if an AirPort Extreme card is installed). It is compatible with the last version of OS X 10.10 "Yosemite" and OS X 10.11 "El Capitan" as well, and supports Mac-to-Mac AirDrop (again, if the AirPort Extreme card is installed), but other major features are not supported. It is not capable of [natively] running macOS Sierra (10.12) or subsequent versions of the macOS at all.

Also see: Which Macs are compatible with OS X El Capitan (10.11)? What are the system requirements? Which Macs support which features?

As for installing an OS earlier than what is supported by the hardware Boot ROM and EFI firmware, see above.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 11:02:38 pm by TechTalk »

TechTalk

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2023, 12:45:51 am »

I have several Mac Pro's, one being an up-spec'd v4 twin hex-core released 2007 that's run 10.11/12/13/14 natively but also 10.6 via a separate onboard SSD that I can select as I indicated earlier to run upon re-start. Upon shutddown it reverts upon restart back to the native OSX. Easy !

A 2007 Mac Pro is not a "v4", it's a 2,1 version and would be problematic for the later OS X versions that you cite due to having 32-Bit firmware. Perhaps you're thinking of the 2009 64-bit Mac Pro which is the 4,1 version and also accepts 128GB of RAM which you mention below.

A 2009 Mac Pro would offer better upgrade potential for later OS versions and more likely app compatibility as it has the 64-bit "Nehalem" processor which was the first to include SSE4.2. Current system requirements for Llightroom Classic are: macOS Big Sur (version 11.0) or later and 64-bit support with SSE 4.2 or later. You may also be able to use OpenCore Legacy Patcher to install later nonnative OS versions (macOS 10.12 and later) on an unsupported 2009 Mac Pro, but not a 2007 (again because of 32-bit limitations).

The other thing is that what Apple specify as limits is not always so - the aforementioned machine was supposedly only capable of running 96 Gb RAM but happily runs 128 Gb without harming anything and uses it all. Geek Benches at 33,800. Life is a practical art, not a theory ! Consult widely and form your own opinion.

RAM capacity is unrelated to the subject of OS compatibility with specific computer models. Some models, with OS updates, may be able to access more ram than initially specified at introduction; but there are still limits as to how much of it each OS version can address.

Consulting with recognized experts who specialize in a field is helpful. A good resource for knowledgeable Mac advice would a company like OWC who can expertly advise on upgrades like memory, drives, and more.

Another resource for upgrade information would be one which was also mentioned above, EveryMac. Again using a 2009 Mac Pro "Eight Core" as an example:

*Apple officially supports 32 GB of RAM in this model, but site sponsor OWC first discovered that it is capable of using 64 GB of RAM when booting MacOS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" in 64-bit mode. Later, OWC bumped this unofficial maximum RAM to 96 GB running Mac OS X 10.6 or 10.7, and yet again to 128 GB...

OWC clarifies in a footnote for their 128GB upgrade kit: "OS X versions prior to 10.9 Mavericks are unable to utilize more than 96GB RAM due to an operating system limitation. 128GB can be fully utilized by a 2009-2012 Mac Pro if running OS X 10.9 Mavericks or later, or if running Bootcamp with 64-bit versions of Windows XP and later, as well as with 64-bit versions of Linux."

EveryMac.com and OWC are where I would normally start to investigate the upgrade possibilities for any Mac, especially older models. They are reliable and well informed.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 12:21:00 am by TechTalk »

Balafre

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2023, 01:31:11 am »

There's nothing "easy" about getting an OS version to boot on an unsupported system. You may (or may not) be able to hack a solution, but you're running a Hack not a Mac and there's no assurances as to what may (or may not) work. It certainly requires much more than just putting an operating system on a connected drive and selecting whatever unsupported OS version from which you want to boot! Good luck with that plan.

It WAS easy and it works well. Didn't need luck at all. I think Lust4Life is looking for solutions that can be applied in the real world, so I offered mine. The MacPro is an incredible platform that with expert help can be fiddled with and upgraded and if it becomes a Hackintosh, so what? They're out of warranty anyway. What matters is what works in practice and works for the user. Focussing ever more closely on increasingly concentric circles doesn't advance commerce :)

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2023, 06:59:30 am »

Often with old computers matched with newer not supported systems some things do not work; for instance wifi or whatever...
but the rest still works well...
But yes, it can also be that Apple decided for you it is time to buy a new thing from them...
Anyway you can try and see what works for you...
Photoshop CS6 is still very capable and did not change that much; i use the very basics, layers, curves, channels, paths... nothing new really.
LR6 has envolved much more, also in terms of speed.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

TechTalk

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2023, 10:59:09 pm »

Often with old computers matched with newer not supported systems some things do not work; for instance wifi or whatever...
but the rest still works well...
But yes, it can also be that Apple decided for you it is time to buy a new thing from them...
Anyway you can try and see what works for you...
Photoshop CS6 is still very capable and did not change that much; i use the very basics, layers, curves, channels, paths... nothing new really.
LR6 has envolved much more, also in terms of speed.

All true. The key is whether what you need to work will function at all and if so, how reliably.

I've done extensive upgrades, including processor replacements, with a Mac. Sometimes it's all good. Sometimes what I needed to work would intermittently freeze or crash. Sometimes it wasn't worth the effort and sometimes it was worth doing.

TechTalk

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2023, 01:20:27 pm »

It WAS easy and it works well. Didn't need luck at all. I think Lust4Life is looking for solutions that can be applied in the real world, so I offered mine. The MacPro is an incredible platform that with expert help can be fiddled with and upgraded and if it becomes a Hackintosh, so what? They're out of warranty anyway. What matters is what works in practice and works for the user. Focussing ever more closely on increasingly concentric circles doesn't advance commerce :)

Lust4Life will have no problem with the Photoshop and Lightroom versions already owned running on a 2013 Mac Pro. That design configuration had a long life span from 2013—2019. Because of its long and fairly recent production run, it will natively run a broad range of Mac operating systems from OS X 10.9.1 Mavericks (2013) thru OS X 10.11 El Capitan (2015); macOS 10.12 Sierra (2016) thru macOS 10.15.7 Catalina (2019); macOS 11 Big Sur (2020); and macOS 12 Monterey (2021). Natively matching up the computer hardware and an OS for those Adobe software versions is no problem with this machine.

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2023, 04:31:36 pm »

Lust4Life will have no problem with the Photoshop and Lightroom versions already owned running on a 2013 Mac Pro. That design configuration had a long life span from 2013—2019. Because of its long and fairly recent production run, it will natively run a broad range of Mac operating systems from OS X 10.9.1 Mavericks (2013) thru OS X 10.11 El Capitan (2015); macOS 10.12 Sierra (2016) thru macOS 10.15.7 Catalina (2019); macOS 11 Big Sur (2020); and macOS 12 Monterey (2021). Natively matching up the computer hardware and an OS for those Adobe software versions is no problem with this machine.

Are you saying that I can just download the dmg of PS and LR, install and key and they should run on Monterey OS?

TechTalk

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2023, 06:31:01 pm »

Are you saying that I can just download the dmg of PS and LR, install and key and they should run on Monterey OS?

I was indicating that you have a very broad range of Mac operating systems which run natively on a 2013 Mac Pro. Any Mac operating system from OS X 10.9.1 thru macOS 12 Monterey is supported on a 2013 Mac Pro. With that broad of a range of supported operating systems to choose from, you should have no problem matching one or more of those options to the versions of Photoshop or Lightroom you would like to run.

Current versions of Photoshop and Lightroom are certainly compatible with macOS 12 Monterey, but that may not be the case with earlier versions. The good news is that, if you require an older Mac OS version to run an older version of Photoshop or Lightroom; you have several previous generations of supported Mac OS from which to choose to match with your application requirements.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2023, 05:02:55 am »

As i remember correctly -- you need an older system to intall CS6 and then you can upgrade:
the installer does not work on many later systems...

For many different purposes i have a 10.6 a 10.14 and a monterey system running on a mac pro 2008 and a Hackintosh.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2023, 09:19:00 am »

As i remember correctly -- you need an older system to intall CS6 and then you can upgrade:
the installer does not work on many later systems...

For many different purposes i have a 10.6 a 10.14 and a monterey system running on a mac pro 2008 and a Hackintosh.

Thanks!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up