Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable backup  (Read 1774 times)

Jonathan Cross

Portable backup
« on: February 07, 2023, 01:01:07 pm »

I am possibly in the market for a battery powered hd or ssd with a sd card reader. One of my cameras has only one card slot and I record RAW and JPEG to it. As a security blanket when out in the field this seems an idea. I only need 500GB or at most 1TB as I transfer to a laptop with portable ssd when back home or hotel in the evening.

I am finding some difficulty in the UK locating devices in stock. Has anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks.

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

armand

• Photos
Re: Portable backup
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 11:22:13 am »

There used to be only few options to start with but somehow they fell out of the picture (pun intended) over the last year or two. The last that I recall was a WD with an SD card reader and wireless.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 11:31:09 am »

I used to use a Santo Hyperdrive long ago but currently a quick search finds only this thing in stock: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1256452-REG/gnarbox_gnar128v1_gnarbox_128gb_external_storage.html

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 01:37:56 pm »

Thanks Armand for your two posts.  Unfortunately The Gnarbox is listed but not available at Amazon in the UK, and seems only available at a very high price from one company.  I also read that Gnarbox as a company has had or is having problems, so I am a bit doubtful about it. 

I am aware of the Western Digital unit, but while it is listed on the WD UK website, no one seems to stock it!

Best wishes,

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2023, 04:03:08 pm »

When I had the Canon 5D2 I used a Hyperdrive also. The replacement 5Ds camera came with two slots so now i always shoot to two.
It may be better to upgrade the camera as that is pretty standard now.
All I can suggest is to use small cards and change through the day.
A Macbook Air is pretty light and I usually carry one when travelling. The older ones have full slots.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2023, 04:34:18 pm »

If you only need 500gb capacity why not transfer to a tablet from an SD card reader (not wirelessly)?  I think it can be done on both ios and android now.

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2023, 05:34:31 pm »

Thanks for the thoughts. I have both a Fuji X-T4 with 2 slots and a X-E4 with one slot. The E4 is smaller and lighter and for a lot of purposes is all I want. I was looking for something small, light and not too expensive. I do not have a tablet and even a iPad mini costs more than I want to spend. The idea of small cards that I change sounds good.

Thanks for giving me alternatives.

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2023, 06:55:54 pm »

Will the X-E4 tether to your phone?

dvoss

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2023, 01:13:27 pm »

Gnarbox company is dead.  Even though some places are still selling the device, the Apple app store no longer carries the necessary app.

https://www.popphoto.com/news/gnarbox-is-likely-dead/

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2023, 12:57:16 pm »

Will the X-E4 tether to your phone?
Yes in theory, using the Fuji  Camera Remote app. I find it very difficult, however, to get it to get the camera and phone to talk wirelessly to each other.

Best wishes
Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2023, 06:17:47 pm »

I'm struggling to understand why you think you'd need this sort of kit now. Especially if you don't expect to be away from being able to make a back up with a laptop for more than a day or two.

Modern memory cards are astonishingly reliable and big cards can hold ridiculous amounts of data, especially for stills. Prices have fallen so much having loads of extra cards is no great hardship.

I think we're now at a point with reliability, capacity and price that faffing around trying to make back ups on location is a greater risk than just keeping one big card in the camera.

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2023, 11:47:37 pm »

I'm struggling to understand why you think you'd need this sort of kit now. Especially if you don't expect to be away from being able to make a back up with a laptop for more than a day or two.

Modern memory cards are astonishingly reliable and big cards can hold ridiculous amounts of data, especially for stills. Prices have fallen so much having loads of extra cards is no great hardship.

I think we're now at a point with reliability, capacity and price that faffing around trying to make back ups on location is a greater risk than just keeping one big card in the camera.
[/
quote]

Yes, I have come to the same conclusion. I have now bought a couple of Sandisk cards. The Amazon UK price was very good and I had free delivery.

Thanks to all who replied to me.

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

Benny Profane

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2023, 12:39:33 pm »

Modern memory cards are astonishingly reliable

Nothing is 100% failproof.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2023, 12:07:09 am »

Nothing is 100% failproof.

Indeed. I've had SD cards fail both in my Fuji X-T2 (where the second card saved the day) and Oly E-M1iii (where I screwed up the backup and I was left only with the jpegs versions, which I shot with the idea of further post processing or raws).

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2023, 04:02:00 am »

I've had SD cards fail
What brands failed ?

armand

• Photos
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2023, 12:10:36 am »

First was Lexar, second I don't recall for certain, either Lexar or Sandisk.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2023, 11:36:32 am »

I am possibly in the market for a battery powered hd or ssd with a sd card reader. One of my cameras has only one card slot and I record RAW and JPEG to it. As a security blanket when out in the field this seems an idea. I only need 500GB or at most 1TB as I transfer to a laptop with portable ssd when back home or hotel in the evening.

I am finding some difficulty in the UK locating devices in stock. Has anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks.

Jonathan

We have used a WD My Passport Wireless Pro for this purpose. Great product! Come back from a day of shooting, put your SD card in the slot, and when you are back from dinner all new photos are backed up to the disk.

Jglaser757

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2023, 12:15:33 am »

I purchased something called NewQ on amazon. Its a wireless travel router that can back up SD cards. And, I can use my phone to check on the status. its been decent so far and has good reviews.

here is the link                https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09T9QKQH7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not much else out there these days that are reasonably priced. I can connect a WD hardrive that is even smaller than the device using a phone app..
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 12:20:38 am by Jglaser757 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up