Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guns 'n Roses  (Read 896 times)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Guns 'n Roses
« on: February 04, 2023, 11:20:09 am »

Morning light

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Re: Guns 'n Roses
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 06:45:54 pm »

Really, nothing? This is User Critiques. You can say you hate it; it does nothing for you; too dark; meh; amateur post processing, your usual drivel, Dave, it's not a landscape, etc. I'm a big boy; negative comments are useful, too.  :o ;D 8) 

francois

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2023, 05:56:04 am »

Really, nothing? This is User Critiques. You can say you hate it; it does nothing for you; too dark; meh; amateur post processing, your usual drivel, Dave, it's not a landscape, etc. I'm a big boy; negative comments are useful, too.  :o ;D 8)

I thought I had made a comment but, obviously, I didn't press the post button or was interrupted.  :-[
I like it a lot. The rifle is barely visible with this backlit situation. I must say that if the title hadn't mentioned a gun I would have missed it. The wavy pattern of the screen and the reflection (rose/pattern/etc) are interesting.
Well done and I'm sorry for my misfire!
Francois

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2023, 07:06:35 am »

I like the idea, but I'm not thrilled with the outcome, David. I guess my eyes aren't what they used to be, but I didn't see the rifle (?) until francois mentioned it. My bad. I very much like the reflected flower vase, but the moire from the screen distracts my eyes (emphasis _my_). If I were processing this photo, I'd start by lifting the shadows (not the blacks necessarily). Again, just my eyes...
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

francois

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2023, 10:43:10 am »

I like the idea, but I'm not thrilled with the outcome, David. I guess my eyes aren't what they used to be, but I didn't see the rifle (?) until francois mentioned it. My bad. I very much like the reflected flower vase, but the moire from the screen distracts my eyes (emphasis _my_). If I were processing this photo, I'd start by lifting the shadows (not the blacks necessarily). Again, just my eyes...

I must say that it's the title that made me look for something like a rifle and it wasn't immediately visible (but I'm known to be slow).
Francois

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2023, 02:09:09 pm »

I like the image.
The title doesn't excite me.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2023, 10:46:41 am »

Now we're getting some criticism! :D
Thanks for the feed back, all of it. The scene caught my eye because of the light coming through the window and the roses; no I hadn't done anything bad requiring such a peace offering ;) The moire pattern is a constant thing in that window because of the sun shade and a window screen, not because of anything wrong with my camera. I know we're supposed to avoid moire, but I thought it added to the ambiguity/oddness of the scene.
Francois, no apologies necessary. I wasn't trying to garner kudos; I just wanted some other photogs to have a look. So any comment pos/neg is useful.
Bob, thank you for the comments. I get what you are saying. I didn't even notice the guns until post, so focused on the window, the patterns, and the reflections was I. FYI, I actually darkened the shadows around the window to add to the ambiguity/oddness because I thought part of the interest might be in picking out some of those obscured details, like the guns and the binoculars and such. I feel like my intention was successful, but that's different from whether the image is aesthetically successful so your evaluation is much appreciated.
Eric, sorry you don't find the title exciting, but like the image. I thought most people, especially photographers, would like roses :o ;) ;D FWIW, the rifles are used to non-lethally drive away wild pigs, which root about the yard moving rocks and eating stuff out here in the wild west!
Finally, thanks for all the comments, which forced me to analyze more deeply why I took this shot and did what I did in post. I'm glad we have a place for such critiques, which is actually why I originally joined LuLa. I hope my use of emojis conveys my humor, but does not undermine my appreciation of your comments. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 10:27:53 am by David Eckels »

degrub

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2023, 07:41:26 pm »

i would flip/rotate/mirror the image. Make the reflection the primary in the window and let the actual be the "table".

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2023, 09:27:31 am »

i would flip/rotate/mirror the image. Make the reflection the primary in the window and let the actual be the "table".
Interesting thought, degrub. Reflection to the top and reversed, I presume. That would make it even more "odd" visually, I think. Hmmm...
Like this?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 09:32:08 am by David Eckels »

degrub

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2023, 11:07:42 am »

yes, more mystery.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2023, 05:00:07 pm »

And at ;east as fascinating as the original.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2023, 10:26:47 am »

Thanks, Eric.
Degrub, thanks for the idea.

francois

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2023, 11:40:40 am »

And at ;east as fascinating as the original.

As my imagination is lacking I find it even more fascinating.
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up