Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Difference between Save and Save As in Photoshop/Lightroom  (Read 906 times)

tsinsf

Difference between Save and Save As in Photoshop/Lightroom
« on: January 30, 2023, 12:30:35 pm »

I think I have a basic misunderstanding about the "Save" function in Photoshop/Lightroom. After importing new RAW photos into LR, my workflow has been to open the photo as a Smart Object in Photoshop, make my edits, then "Save As" which creates a pixel based photo. I prefer to keep my edited photos separate from the original RAW photos. I am trying to understand the "Save" option in Photoshop/Lightroom. Normally after editing in PS I use Save As and create a pixel based photo that goes into a separate file folder (my choice). Instead, if I open a photo in Photoshop via Lightroom, and after editing choose "Save" instead of "Save As", I know that a PSD or Tiff will appear in Lightroom next to the original RAW photo. What I don't understand is what kind of file this new Tiff or PSD is. Does it only exist in the Lightroom Catalogue? Please help me understand. Thanks!!

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Difference between Save and Save As in Photoshop/Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 12:36:55 pm »

When using Edit In (Photoshop) round trips, you Save, not Save As for the 'Save' to be recorded back into the LR Catalog.
What is saved is what you've setup in the Edit In preferences within Lightroom Classic (size, file type, color space etc).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

tsinsf

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 12:52:34 pm »

So using  Save, the TIFF or PSD file exists only in the LR catologue? I have a mental block about understanding this because I have been using Save As for years, creating actual pixel base files. I had no idea a TIFF or PSD file could exist only in the LR catalogue.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 01:02:57 pm »

So using  Save, the TIFF or PSD file exists only in the LR catologue? ...

No, it is saved in the same folder where the originating image is saved. You can view it there using any file browser.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 01:55:34 pm »

So using  Save, the TIFF or PSD file exists only in the LR catologue?
NO images exist in the catalog. It's a catalog only.
When you go to the library for a book, there is a card catalog but there are no books in that card catalog. The catalog tells you where to find the book. Lightroom Classic is the same.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 05:31:05 pm »

If you want to know where any photo is located from your library just right click on it and use the Show In Explorer or Finder.  The Windows Explorer or Mac Finder window will open and the file will be selected.  You can then open in PS and re-edit (the tiff/psb etc) if necessary

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 10:05:13 am »

The whole thing is too complicated to me - that's why I stay in the Bridge/ACR/PS universe.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 12:34:09 pm »

The whole thing is too complicated to me - that's why I stay in the Bridge/ACR/PS universe.
"Learning is not attained by chance. It must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. "-Abigail Adams
It isn't complicated. If you so desire, you just need to learn how the product works. Like anything else (photography, computer software, driving a car)
Bridge is a browser, LR is a DAM. You can't compare the two, they are nothing alike. 

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2023, 12:00:43 pm »

So using  Save, the TIFF or PSD file exists only in the LR catologue? I have a mental block about understanding this because I have been using Save As for years, creating actual pixel base files. I had no idea a TIFF or PSD file could exist only in the LR catalogue.

The LR catalog does not contain photo images. It contains only information about images. The images themselves--RAW, tiff, PSD or whatever--exist independently. And what do you mean by "pixel base files"

tsinsf

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2023, 10:57:11 pm »

"So using  Save, the TIFF or PSD file exists only in the LR catologue? I have a mental block about understanding this because I have been using Save As for years, creating actual pixel base files. I had no idea a TIFF or PSD file could exist only in the LR catalogue."

OP here. I used the wrong language because of my confusion. I do know photos in LR exist only as computer code, not as pixels, and just point to the actual photo. I thought that using "Save" put the created "real" Tiff/PSD (pixel based as opposed to computer code or virtual based) photo in the same folder that the LR catalogue is in. I realize now that it puts the created photo next to the unedited RAW photo wherever that is. Sorry for the confusion and thank you all for your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up