Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson driver Output size Limit?  (Read 628 times)

MatkoD

Epson driver Output size Limit?
« on: January 30, 2023, 08:12:13 am »

Hello,
everytime I try to output bigger images, my printers (Stylus Pro 9800, SC-P9000) output a blank page, nothing on.
The limit is at about 100 x 120 cm @360ppi and 50 x 60 cm @720ppi. Downscaling helps, but then the quality goes...
Using Mac mini i7 (2018) with 32 GB RAM.
What is to blame? Epson driver, Photoshop (CS4), computer?
Thanks

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: Epson driver Output size Limit?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 09:10:22 am »

Not sure if my math is right but 14,480 x 17,280 times 16 bit is 4GB. Too much for Photoshop. Lower to 8 bit you would still be at Photoshops max limit of 2GB.
What are you stitching to get a 4GB image? We print quite a few big images here and print all the big prints at 150 or 180 ppi.
Number 1 because we print on canvas, number 2 file size and most importantly it just is not necessary.
 Print it at 180 and first of all see if it works and secondly you will probably be quite surprised at the quality.
Also keep in mind the proper viewing distance will be 60.42" times two or 120.84" (Twice the diagonal) So don't put your nose right on that print, move back 10 feet.
Someone else please chime in if that file size limit is wrong.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 09:16:47 am by dgberg »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 11:48:07 am »

There is a limit, and it depends on the OS too. I don't recall what the limit is but I had a customer that ran into it and ended up having to find another print driver (not Epson's).
Best to contact Epson and ask them specifically about any limits based upon your OS and the driver for a specific printer.
Lastly, there is ZERO reason to be sending 16-bit data to the print driver. Most will not accept them, those that do (a few Epson's), no difference on the output.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

deanwork

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 04:32:35 pm »

Exactly, work on files in 16 bit, output at 8 bit.

After that reduce to 300 ppi. If you are really obsessed with sending 360 ppi you’ll need another driver. Look into Q Image, biggest bang for the buck, or even cheaper QTR for BW. Free trial versions for both.

John

There is a limit, and it depends on the OS too. I don't recall what the limit is but I had a customer that ran into it and ended up having to find another print driver (not Epson's).
Best to contact Epson and ask them specifically about any limits based upon your OS and the driver for a specific printer.
Lastly, there is ZERO reason to be sending 16-bit data to the print driver. Most will not accept them, those that do (a few Epson's), no difference on the output.

MatkoD

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2023, 01:08:19 pm »

Hi,
done some tests, it appears that the driver is limited to about 280MP. Tried 72 x 48 cm @ 720ppi (approx. 278MP) that went thru fine, 73,5 x 49 cm @ 720ppi (approx. 290MP) returned Filter Failed Message.
It doesn't matter if 16 or 8-Bit, the pixels make the limit. Have tried printing directly from Photoshop thru Epson driver and also thru Print Tool - same thing with the bigger files.
Q image (Q1 for the Mac) takes years for the changes in Menu to get activated, so it didn't convinced me.
Have tried Demo of Mirage by Dinax - it is printig 87 x 58 cm @ 720ppi (approx. 405MP), no problem. Will try some even bigger files on this RIP and also on ImagePrint R.E.D. by Colorbyte tomorrow

BAB

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2023, 04:49:36 pm »

Appx 70” is max without rip
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic
Pages: [1]   Go Up