Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacement for dead Canon ipf8400  (Read 607 times)

Dward

Replacement for dead Canon ipf8400
« on: January 21, 2023, 03:23:01 pm »

All recommendations  for 44" printers gratefully accepted.  Yesterday after 4.5 hours with a patient and logical Canon support guy, he (and I) concluded that the printer has a serious hardware problem, not a software or networking issue.  Given the age of the machine and the cost to get a Canon repair person here ($1500 minimum), it seems prudent to get a new machine instead of fixing this one.  But which one?  I've read the thread on the Epson 9570, and the problems folks report incline me against it, despite the amazing potential of the machine.  So I'm considering either a Canon 4100 or HP z9+.  I've read lots of reviews online, and each machine seems to have drawbacks.  Any insights to help me make up my mind?  (thanks in advance)

David V. Ward, Ph. D.
David V. Ward Fine Art Photography

Wheathin21

Re: Replacement for dead Canon ipf8400
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 05:11:16 pm »

I have experience with epson and canon machines from my uni days, as well as my own ipf8400. I don't have experience with the HP fine art printers. In my experience, Epson printers are a pain in the ass. Constant nozzle checks and cleanings. I know the latest 44" printer has all sorts of issues. I've used both my ipf8400 and the latest pro-2100, both very good machines. 3rd party tests have shown that the Lucia-ex(ipf8400 and related machines) has better light-fastness and green gamut than lucia-pro inkset(pro-4100, 2100, 1000, etc). However, the ipf8400 and related printers are quickly approaching end of life. I also doubt you could find one new anymore.
The pro-4100 would be my recommendation. The software suite is key to getting the best results. Custom media types, calibration, canon print plugin instead of windows print driver, etc.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 09:49:30 am »

I am less than an hour from you. (Near Morgantown)
I have an excellent condition HPz3200 44" printer with built in spectrophotometer for sale for $995
With 3 44" printers and a new to us Epson 64' s80600 something has to go. Only used as a backup with only 975 sq. ft. of material run through it.
That is less than a half dozen rolls of canvas. A really good buy for someone.

Dward

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 11:11:37 am »

Hi Dan,

Sounds good. I'll call you.
thanks,
David Ward
Pages: [1]   Go Up