Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad h3ii 39 invalid calibration  (Read 1459 times)

jimrivers

Hasselblad h3ii 39 invalid calibration
« on: January 12, 2023, 03:41:26 pm »

My Hasselblad h3ii 39 with 4500 shots has come up with the message invalid calibration on the capture unit. I have been searching for any help to fix this. Hasselblad does not support this antique camera any longer. I got this 12 years ago and have never used it much because of the size but I would like to see if it can be fixed. Any help? jamesprivers(at)gmail(dot)com

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Hasselblad h3ii 39 invalid calibration
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2023, 10:03:37 pm »

I doubt that it has anything to do with calibration. Those backs can be used on many bodies. I used mine on an H4D because it gives you True Focus.
It may be just spurious.
More likely to be remove and replace, clean contacts, remove battery etc. Try another H3DII, H4D or H5D body if you can.
If that doesn't work then it is probably an internal failure of the back and likely to be not worth fixing, but try Hasselblad for a quote.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

jimrivers

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 12:51:34 pm »

I have found this has happened to many owners 0f this camera. Hasselblad has not been any help. My Hasselblad has turned into a very expensive paper weight.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 03:36:25 pm »

I have found this has happened to many owners 0f this camera. Hasselblad has not been any help. My Hasselblad has turned into a very expensive paper weight.
As you say, it is now an antique piece of electronic equipment. Antique cars are worth money, antique electronics not so much.
I had a similar problem and sent it to Hasselblad for a quote. The quote came back at $4000 which I declined, but the back worked when it came back!
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

jimrivers

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2023, 04:50:02 pm »

I have contacted Hasselblad in California and in so many words was told they no longer offer service.
As you say, it is now an antique piece of electronic equipment. Antique cars are worth money, antique electronics not so much.
I had a similar problem and sent it to Hasselblad for a quote. The quote came back at $4000 which I declined, but the back worked when it came back!

TechTalk

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2023, 11:30:05 pm »

I have contacted Hasselblad in California and in so many words was told they no longer offer service.

Those are serviced by B23 in Denmark. You'll find their website here: https://hasselbladrepair.com or at http://www.b23.dk. They are the authorized service recommended by Hasselblad for Imacon and Hasselblad Ixpress backs and older HxD models including your H3D II camera.

You can contact them for service here. Best wishes to you.

Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

TechTalk

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2023, 12:13:41 am »

I doubt that it has anything to do with calibration.

It might be that a calibration file has become corrupted. I had an Invalid Calibration error with an Ixpress back many years ago and was sent instructions on how to reload it. I saved it, as I generally tend to do with tech bulletins. It began with:

Restoring Calibration Files

An EPROM in the Ixpress Back contains two calibration files which are essential for the captured images to be handled correctly by FlexColor.

The first time the Back is connected to the Image Bank these two files are downloaded. The dialogue ‘Transferring Data to Bank’ is shown on the LCD display on the back. In turn when the Image Bank is first connected to FlexColor the two calibration files are downloaded to the ‘Devices’ folder in the FlexColor application folder.

If the two files become corrupted then this can result in column errors (single pixel lines running vertically in the image) or odd coloured or missing pixels.

Then there were a series of steps to follow to delete, reset, and restore the calibration files from factory files stored in the back, in an EPROM chip.

Now... that was only for the Ixpress backs. I don't know what might be required in this case. We can all hope for a quick and easy fix... or at least one that's not very costly.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 12:13:42 am by TechTalk »
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future
Pages: [1]   Go Up