Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transporting an Epson SP9900  (Read 419 times)

Ignotus_Mago

• Art by Paul Hertz
Transporting an Epson SP9900
« on: January 07, 2023, 08:48:35 pm »

I have to prepare an Epson SP9900 for transport from one side of Chicago to another, about 20 miles. I've followed the manual in preparing it, parking the head and leaving the inks installed.

The one thing I couldn't do was put the packing materials that helped to secure the carriage back in place. I don't have them any more. ISTR that there was just a block of foam under the print head and some tape to hold the carriage, along with a cord attached to the foam to aid in pulling it out. I've transported the printer without this packing before, so I suspect it isn't necessary, at least over short distances. On that occasion, movers wrapped in completely in plastic wrap before taking it off the support, and it functioned perfectly after it was unloaded.

Will taping the carriage down add some extra security? I suspect so and will do that. Is there some way to improvise packing to further secure the carriage and print head?

cheers,

Paul

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Transporting an Epson SP9900
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 11:34:10 pm »

I had to transport my new-to-me used Epson 9900 130 miles over a couple of mountain passes in winter and did pretty much as you, leaving in the inks and parking the head. I think I went online to find out how to prepare the printer for transport and it seemed pretty easy, not needing much as far as packing material nor anything more than parking the head before unplugging. I don't remember anything special such as styrofoam blocks and tape to secure the head.

Besides the 130 mile trip, the final 30 feet was down a flight of stairs with a 90-degree bend to get it in the door. The 9900 is a four-pallbearer printer, needing at least four people with strong backs to give you a hand if you can't just put it on the stand and roll it in.

In any case, that was a dozen years ago I had to move mine and two years ago, after replacing the head, it works better than ever.

I'd say with such a short move it's not going to be jostled too much to need to worry too much about locking down the head with any special preparation, especially if you are doing the driving.

Good luck in the move!

Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Ignotus_Mago

• Art by Paul Hertz
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2023, 09:34:18 pm »

Thanks! AFAIK the transportation went off without a hitch for the person who bought the printer. He didn't seem too concerned with the travel, just loaded it into a van with help from my son and me. It seems a lot of old Epsons are being put to use for t-shirt transfer printing.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 04:07:03 pm »

Mine's still in regular use for print and canvas production. One well-built printer my service expert tells me. Runs better today after the new & improved head replacement than when I purchased it second-hand in 2011.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up