Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Subject masking in LR & PS a mess (at least for me)  (Read 1865 times)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Subject masking in LR & PS a mess (at least for me)
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2023, 12:10:30 pm »

Got one of the raws (Nice shote BTW), removed your masks, made two variations using two different processes:
1. Select Subject is the first (screen capture is the 2nd however).
2. Select Object (using a brush) is the 2nd attempt.
The first isn't bad at all! There is one area above the subject to the left wall that needs to be removed. Simple.
The 2nd is nearly prefect. This is created by brushing (two sizes so two masks) on the woman.
I find both masks to be absolutely amazing considering each took about 30 seconds or less to produce!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2023, 02:37:43 pm »

This is a confirmation of just how broken the Object selection tool is, at least on my computer. I was putting together a pallet chart of paint colors for a client to compare three different shades of beige to paint a cyc. Each color is on a different layer and I'm modifying each one with the paint manufacturer's RGB value. I was going to simply select it with the Magic Wand, then thought I'd see what would happen if I tried to select it with the Object Selection tool. You can see how poorly this turned out. I'm going to try these different things on my wife's 27" iMac and on my laptop.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2023, 02:41:13 pm »

This is a confirmation of just how broken the Object selection tool is, at least on my computer.
Seems that way (on your computer).
It works amazingly well on the image you provided on mine. Let's stick with that OK. So what's  the difference?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2023, 02:55:58 pm »

I'm having no problem creating full figure subject masks on either files in both LRC and PS (latest versions, Win 10)

I opened and deleted all the masks that came with the files then selected Subject for masking and got the whole person all 4 times (both files, ACR and LRC).

simon.garrett@iee.org

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2023, 03:35:25 pm »

I had no problem either.  LR (12.1) not quite as good as PS (24.1).  PS pretty accurate, LR included 1 small stray area on each image (ones that could be brushed away in a couple of seconds). 

Maybe something corrupt in the OP's installation?

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2023, 05:05:28 pm »

Finally!! Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I resorted to uninstalling my graphics drivers and all older drivers as well and did a clean driver install after rebooting a couple of times to make sure the plain vanilla loaded instead. Then I did a fresh download of the most recent graphics driver from AMD and installed, and rebooted. Now, I'm able to create a subject mask without issues in LR. Checking PS, I opened the TIFF files and did object selection and it worked. (Select Subject also works and actually works a bit better, at least for people.)

So, it seems the root of these issues was related to a corrupt graphics driver. It wasn't corrupt enough to cause everything else to malfunction on my computer, just certain tasks, and functions. Ninety-five percent of everything was fine. Some of the weirdness included sending an image from PS 2023 to Luminar AI (used as a plugin) would work. The same image would not open in Luminar Neo. Now it does.

Anyway, Thanks for the help.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up