Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Medium Format system ( digital)NOW Looking for a H6D-50C Body FOUND ONE  (Read 1117 times)

rollsman44

I have used several MF systems and I am pretty satisfied with X1D2, Pentax 645Z. Fuji GFX 50Sll, Leica S2 007 systems.
  There are some pros and cons to each but all in all they are have Excellent IQ.
   I never tried the Phase one system( due to the Costs vs the others)   My curiosity is still there
   yes, I   have read the pros and cons of the Phase one systems.   MY needs are :   Good AF, Max ISO 1600( usable no noise), Mpx 50 Max
   This would be my last one I want to try with a Min. Investment.  This way if I dont feel its for me then I can sell it without taking a BIG loss
   Suggestions are appreciated.  I mainly shoot portraits and Family groups.  I dont mind using Tripod and some travel. ( Its more NOW for Personal use)
  Thank you 

« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 10:04:51 pm by rollsman44 »

JoeKitchen

Re: Which Medium Format system ( digital) for a reasonable price
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 10:13:44 am »

I will say right from the get go, the AF on the Phase XF is good enough for still life and slow moving subjects.  However, with faster moving objects, it pails in comparison to other smaller cameras with smaller lenses.  In my opinion, what make the AF on the XF attractive is the built in auto focus-stacking, which I would take over fast AF.  I am a still life and architectural photographer though. 

Likewise, the XF is a heavy camera.  Once again not something I worry about given my genres, just something to keep in mind. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

rollsman44

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 10:32:41 am »

Thank you Joe.   This is what I am thinking:
I am looking to find a Phase One IQ1 40MP Digital Back but not sure if its compatible with the H bodies. 

I was also thinking of just getting the H5D-50 and Not look into Phase one back to H body . 

Any suggestions please advise.  I want to see whats  the Best for the money.  Thank you   

IQ the same?   AF I need accurate so I am NOT sure if the Phase one DF+ and the IQ1 40 and 80mm lens is the way to go. 

Thank you   Mainly Portraits and travel camera

JoeKitchen

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 10:45:53 am »

Thank you Joe.   This is what I am thinking:
I am looking to find a Phase One IQ1 40MP Digital Back but not sure if its compatible with the H bodies. 

I was also thinking of just getting the H5D-50 and Not look into Phase one back to H body . 

Any suggestions please advise.  I want to see whats  the Best for the money.  Thank you   

IQ the same?   AF I need accurate so I am NOT sure if the Phase one DF+ and the IQ1 40 and 80mm lens is the way to go. 

Thank you   Mainly Portraits and travel camera

I have no experience with the H system, so I can not answer any of your questions.  I do know that many portrait shooters love the skin tones on the H backs, but you have to use Phocus, which no one likes.  Also, the focus on the H system was always better then on the DF+.  Compared to the XF, I would guess they are the same. 

On Phase One, the DF+ is pretty crappy overall.  It was a temporary solution when all of the systems started going proprietary and Phase One was left out to dry.  P1 did not originally have a camera body, just digital backs, and they bought out Mamiya, quickly converting one of their medium format bodies to work with their backs.  It is not a well thought out system; the XF is though.  The DF+ also uses a different battery design than the back, so you will need to have two different types of batteries.  The XF uses the same style of battery as the back. 

Personally I use an IQ260 on an Arca Swiss RM3Di and, occasionally, the M2.  My wife uses an IQ260 on the XF; she shoots food and packaging.  I say this just so you know where I am coming from.  When she upgraded from the DF+ to the XF, she found it to be leap and bounds better.  However, neither of us shoot fast moving objects or work handheld, so I am just going off of when we fooled around with our systems but did not do anything serious. 

rollsman44

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 11:33:42 am »

Joe, thank you for sharing this.  I have been doing my homework and based on my needs and Budget I am going to look for a Hassy H5D-50C and 1 lens ( maybe the 50 instead of the 80)
  You have helped me a lot in making my decision. The XF body and the back and lens is over what I want to spend.   Thank you again,  Dennis

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2023, 05:25:01 pm »

I have no experience with the H system, so I can not answer any of your questions.  I do know that many portrait shooters love the skin tones on the H backs, but you have to use Phocus, which no one likes. 
So no experience with the H system but no one likes Phocus? Strange, what don't I like about Phocus?

Anyway, the OP has I think owned everyone of these cameras by now and some twice.

To me the H5D-50C was nice in its day, but that has long passed. The H system has been discontinued and yet H series cameras sell used for more than you buy an X1D for, which to me leaves them for dead. The H is a steam engine. Lots of moving parts that cost $1000 to replace. I prefer a camera I can hang around my neck all day and climb a mountain with rather than one I need a car to carry around. Great for travel especially with a GPS. My only experience with Phase was via Mamiya and on the H1 and was not really happy with anything about them and having to use Capture One. The Mamiya derivatives were a box and the the H backs needed a power station to run. The modern Phase Ones are at a price point unrealistic to me in the modern market. Just my opinion.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Endeavour

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2023, 06:15:58 pm »

is the H discontinued?

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2023, 07:27:44 pm »

is the H discontinued?
According to Hasselblad, yes.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2023, 07:14:36 am »

So no experience with the H system but no one likes Phocus? Strange, what don't I like about Phocus?

I am a professional working in the NYC market and talk to a lot of other professionals.  Although I have not used Phocus, I know many who have.  Those who have experience with Phocus and other RAW processors all say the same thing, it is not nearly as good as C1 or Lightroom. 

I was just relaying what I have heard from everyone I have talked to about it. 

With that being said, I always heard great things about the H camera.  The H back I heard good things about too when working with the H body.  The downside for me is the user interface is outdated and there were issues with using the back off of the H system on a technical camera.  I would also assume, just like with the P backs, noticing a soft broad hazzy flare from a cloud or overly bright sky on those screens is near impossible, which is one of the reasons I switched to the IQ back. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 07:21:28 am by JoeKitchen »

rollsman44

Re: Which Medium Format system ( digital) ( NOW I want H6D-50C)
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2023, 01:02:01 pm »

I know the H series is according to what I hear is DEAD.  So, why are they still asking a high price tag? 
  I had the X1D2 and yes its a great camera.  For me I found it too small and I felt the H series is better handled by me.   I shoot off a tripod whenever I do portraits and My group shots....so the weight is no issue to me.  Again, personal preference.   Thank you   

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2023, 03:59:28 pm »

I am a professional working in the NYC market and talk to a lot of other professionals.  Although I have not used Phocus, I know many who have.  Those who have experience with Phocus and other RAW processors all say the same thing, it is not nearly as good as C1 or Lightroom. 
So you are talking about something you have not used. OK. Not as good at what?

Phocus is a raw processor and tethering application. It actually processes raw files and converts them from a read only 3fr matrix to a finished, writable Hasselblad raw file that contains a history. You can edit the raw file, take it out of the computer and put it into a new computer and all the edits are still there. So FFF Hasselblad raw files are unlike all other raw files and contain the Hasselblad HNCS colour science. That all takes a lot of processing, but you get a much better result.

C1 and Lightroom are catalogue programmes. They use a database to provide the appearance of adjustments to the raw file, but the raw file is actually not being edited at all. You take the raw file out of the computer and put it into another computer and there are no edits. C1 does not read Hasselblad raw files by design. Lightroom has a plug in to tether to Hasselblad but I don't use it so can't comment on that. As they are not actually changing the raw file, you would expect them to be faster.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Which Medium Format system ( digital) ( NOW I want H6D-50C)
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2023, 04:03:45 pm »

I know the H series is according to what I hear is DEAD.  So, why are they still asking a high price tag? 
Because they paid $30-50,000 for the camera and they want to recover their investment or the written down asset value perhaps.
The reality is that they are simply not worth it in the current market.
As we say in Australia, "tell 'em they are dreamin'."

rollsman44

Re: Which Medium Format system ( digital)NOW Looking for a H6D-50C Body
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2023, 08:51:37 pm »

I do appreciate everyone's comments and right now I will go with the  H6D-50C ( CMOS)
    So, I invest in a system thats dead BUT I might enjoy what it has to offer right now. We as Photographers NEVER stay with the same system too long anyway.
  So, I can stay with whatever system I decide to go with and then sell it and buy another one.   I had a Pentax 645Z and loved it. Even though Pentax was not in the MF arena anymore. Even today the Z is an Excellent Camera and still being sold and used by many photographers.
   I want to say I do appreciate all the input I get from the Members in the forum.    JUST PURCHASED ONE    Thank you
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 08:52:18 pm by rollsman44 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up