Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to add Epson p900 and there no choice to not use Airprint  (Read 1598 times)

tsinsf

Trying to add Epson p900 and there no choice to not use Airprint
« on: December 23, 2022, 09:23:16 pm »

I was missing ICC profiles in Lightroom and Photoshop and tried everything, so I decided to update my OS to Ventura, Mac 13.1. Now I'm trying to add the P900 to my printer list and it keeps installing it as Airprint. I've It does not give me an option to choose the full version. Any suggestions? I'm using the most current driver that I downloaded from Epson. These are my steps: System Preferences/Printers and Scanners/Add printer and a window opens up and I choose Epson SC-900 Series USB then Add. I am given no choice of Airprint or the full version, and it adds the Airprint version. I've removed the printer and tried again at least ten times. No luck, always Airprint. What do I have to do to get a choice of the non Airprint version?

Mac Studio  OS 13.1 Printer driver version 12.62

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Trying to add Epson p900 and there no choice to not use Airprint
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2022, 09:44:01 pm »

No issues, no AirPrint downloading the print driver for my P800 from Epson. Sounds like you really don't have the right installer or driver; I've never seen the option for Airprint and always have installed the 'real' driver. Yes, I'm on Ventura too.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2022, 04:58:07 am »

This is what I would try…

Remove the AirPrint version from the Printers & Scanners panel in System Preferences.  Re-install the printer driver.  Restart the Mac.

Connect the printer and turn it on.

Then, try adding the printer in the Printers & Scanners panel.

If this fails try Apple and/or Epson technical support.  I've generally found Apple support to be good, but you have to be patient as they will want to go through things you may have tried already.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2022, 08:40:39 am »

Is this the page you are adding your printer from? It sometimes takes 10 minutes or longer for both Bonjour (Airprint) and IP (The one you want) to show up.
Since I do not have the 900 it is not on my list but think both drivers should download.

jmwscot

• http://www.johnwoodphotowork.com
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2022, 12:07:32 pm »

You can check if you have the Epson Driver installed by going into the Epson User Manual for the SC900. Here's the link direct to the appropriate page.

https://download4.epson.biz/sec_pubs/sc-p900_series/useg/en/GUID-0A9CFAB0-9D78-4803-AACE-19ED1AA32A72.htm?kw=download%20driver

jmwscot

• http://www.johnwoodphotowork.com
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2022, 12:16:16 pm »

Sorry that link takes it just to the file on my Mac. Go in to your Epson User Manual which you should have installed. Go into the section marked: Maintaining the Printer. Scroll down to: Checking if Genuine Epson Printer driver is installed. Hope this helps

tsinsf

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2022, 12:46:39 pm »

OP here. I finally managed to get the non Airprint version of my P900 printer and all the Epson ICC profiles onto my Mac M1 Studio, but it was ridiculously difficult. I reset/removed my printer at least fifteen times and started over installing the printer using the most recent driver I downloaded from Epson. Many times it gave me no option to not install the Airprint version. Sometime it installed no Epson ICC profiles. Sometimes it installed about half of the profiles. After so many times I lost count, I finally installed the full (non Airprint) version and it contained all the Epson ICC profiles. I love the printer, but dealing with the software is almost (not quite) a deal breaker. Searching online for solutions I discovered I'm not the only one having this problem. I guess us home printer types are such a small niche market that for Epson, Adobe, and Apple it's not worth the money to figure out how to make their products better communicate with each other.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 01:07:31 am by tsinsf »

MfAlab

• Modern Fine Art printing laboratory
    • HSU fine print
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2023, 03:48:07 am »

I love the printer, but dealing with the software is almost (not quite) a deal breaker. Searching online for solutions I discovered I'm not the only one having this problem. I guess us home printer types are such a small niche market that for Epson, Adobe, and Apple it's not worth the money to figure out how to make their products better communicate with each other.

I will say the main problems is on Apple. For windows users, that's easier to use an real driver, install OEM ICC, using old software...
Kang-Wei Hsu
digital printing & color management
fixative tests preview: https://reurl.cc/OVGDmr

SteveKeirst

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2023, 09:16:09 am »

Apple makes it tricky to set up printers without AirPrint. Yo need to manually select the correct driver. Go to Epsin's driver website and download and install the Epson driver first. Then you need to add a new printer, select the printer (USB, Bonjour, or IP and enter the #), then select the right driver by going to the bottom line (Use:) and change from the default AirPrint driver to Select software, and pick your printer from the list or search for it by typing a keyword in (P800, P900, etc.). This works the same way for any brand of serious printer now, you need to download a driver from the manufacturer, add the printer and force Mac OS to use the manufacturer's driver.

dmiller62

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2023, 02:12:25 pm »

I've been down this road with both P800 and P900 - they both have the same issue (also theoretically their smaller versions).

These are the possibilities about what happens. (and also the right "solution" for full printing capability).

- You install the driver, you follow the recommendation to enable AirPrint, and you're stuck because you Don't Have All Of The Printer Driver Controls. (so this would be bad). You can't really print properly this way; not the way you know you can. Lots of things missing.

- Having done that, what's your recourse?

- I'll skip to the easiest fix first, because it's guaranteed to work, and make you whole. (I know this, because I've done it). Connect the printer to your router over Ethernet. In OSX printer settings, click to add another printer, and add a new P900 printer using the IP (network) protocol. That's what you're going to use! It has everything you expect to see in a direct USB-connected printer instance, and it'll work, perfectly.

- Or, (so much fun), you can delete the AirPrint-enabled printer instance; reinstall the Epson printer drivers; go back then to the first step and DON'T enable AirPrint. Now you have a printer instance that connects to the printer over USB, that's right, the way we always used to. (and again, now you'll have all of the printer controls available, etc, just as described above for the IP printer instance). The question is: "will it actually work".

- I'll just mention that question, because: it may not. I've set up a P800 on a 16" M1Max MacBook Pro that way (and also, a P700 on a different 16" M1Max MacBook Pro), and it printing over USB, through the normal driver with AirPrint "not configured", did NOT work for me. You set up the print from Photoshop (latest version), everything is configured correctly, but when it starts to print, it stalls right at the start of the printing process. No amount of exhortations would fix this. (I think at first this would have been running Monterey last year; but I've seen that system again running Ventura and it still wasn't working). Using an IP instance for the printer on those systems were the only way to properly print.

David Miller
Senior Software Developer, Consumer Graphics Software
Datacolor
Pages: [1]   Go Up