Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 7890 mk quits after service clean & pk-mk switch  (Read 292 times)

sab001

7890 mk quits after service clean & pk-mk switch
« on: December 21, 2022, 02:09:30 pm »

I use an Epson 7890 for fine art printing on canvas. The printer was acquired from the Costco where I worked when they closed their printing operation (10000 pages?) Everything was fine, doing test prints with pk ink (and previously with mk on canvas). Did a service cleaning (based on video from Inkjet mall). No problems there (other than it really needed a cleanup). Switched immediately to mk ink to do a canvas print, was delayed by printer telling me it failed the auto-cleaning should I try again, yes. The print looked off, did a nozzle check to see the black was absent (no text or black pattern). Tried several cleanings so far, popped the cartridge for a shake/inspection, still no black. I'll probably try going back to pk next, but... Anyone have any suggestions?  (***What is this? Why so many skill testing questions? Is this a job interview?)

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: 7890 mk quits after service clean & pk-mk switch
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2022, 08:25:03 am »

7890 is 12 years old. Normal service life is 5 years and making it to 10+ years the exception especially with 10000 pages.
That being said it was one of Epson's best printers with more than a few making it to 10+ years.
With that model and more then a few others (3800 and 3880) the failed black switching valve (I am sure it has a more correct technical name) was the death of many Epson printers.
I had a 9900 and at 6 years had a new head installed plus some other parts and it lasted another 5 years. total prints were 4200 when we disposed of it.
If you can get it back to printing pk ink I would count my lucky stars and just move to a pk satin canvas.

Re: 7890 mk quits after service clean & pk-mk switch
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2022, 02:20:51 pm »

What Dan said^. I owned both the 3880 and 3800 and this was the death of them but on those printers you could get a new ink cart holder and damper with lines for about $120 and do the repair yourself which I did it on my 3880 and it worked fine for another 5 years before the head went out. Google 'Epson damper switch valve' and you'll see what is suggested/recommended
Pages: [1]   Go Up