Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Use of LR to Adjust TIFFs Exported from Another Raw Converter  (Read 1277 times)

hubell

Use of LR to Adjust TIFFs Exported from Another Raw Converter
« on: December 18, 2022, 02:44:27 pm »

I have generally avoided ever using LR to make adjustments to a TIFF that was processed in LR or another Raw Converter and then exported as a 16 bit TIFF. Once I have a TIFF. I have only done further processing of the TIFF in PS. My thinking has been that if I made adjustments to that TIFF in LR and then opened it in PS for any further processing with the LR adjustments applied, the LR Adjustments would be baked into the TIFF that opens in PS and I would lose the ability to maintain a non-destructive workflow. The reason why I am now reconsidering my approach is that I have many Hasselblad files where I want to do some very basic processing using Phocus first (i.e., to take advantage of the color profile and lens corrections in Phocus) and then export a TIFF to LR for selective edits using the much more powerful masking and other tools in LR. (In the past, I would have used PS.) So, I am curious if there is a viable way to use that workflow and yet still preserve a non destructive workflow.
TIA.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Use of LR to Adjust TIFFs Exported from Another Raw Converter
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2022, 03:12:32 pm »

The edits in LR/ACR are parametric (metadata) saved within the TIFF (or JPEG or DNG) and until you render the edits (Export from LR as an example), nothing yet is baked.
So that's kind of one advantage.
The other is, it doesn't matter the order of your parametric edits unlike Photoshop. The Adobe Camera Raw engine applies the edits in the best processing order. And it does so in high bit.
Will such differences be visibly different using PS vs. Adobe Camera Raw engine? Maybe; it depends on a lot of variable. 
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Manoli

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2022, 08:21:52 am »

My thinking has been that if I made adjustments to that TIFF in LR and then opened it in PS for any further processing with the LR adjustments applied, the LR Adjustments would be baked into the TIFF that opens in PS and I would lose the ability to maintain a non-destructive workflow. [...] So, I am curious if there is a viable way to use that workflow and yet still preserve a non destructive workflow.
TIA.

Unless I haven't fully understood your issue,  the way to achieve this is to export any file (Raw, DNG, TIFF) within Lr to Ps via 'Edit in ...' > 'Open as Smart Object in Photoshop'.

Smart Object will preserve Lr edits and clicking on the layer in Photoshop will open the Camera Raw filter where you'll be able to modify / add edits. When you're finished save the file (back to Lr).

...  made adjustments to that TIFF in LR and then opened it in PS for any further processing with the LR adjustments applied, the LR Adjustments would be baked into the TIFF that opens in PS

No, the only happens if you choose
'Edit in Ps' > 'Edit a copy in Ps with Lightroom Adjustments'

Smart Objects are the way to go.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 08:34:06 am by Manoli »

Rand47

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2022, 10:10:06 am »

As Manoli says, take your “original” tiff from Phocus into Lightroom Classic (LrC).  Do your additional edits in LrC.  If you need to go to Photoshop (PS) do so a “Edit In > Open as Smart Object.”  Do your PS edits.  While in PS if you want to make further LrC/ACR edits you can just click on the layer, make further edits. 

The value I’ll add here is something I learned from Charlie Cramer.  Change the labeling in LrC from “edit” being added to the file name during the round trip, to “Master” (or some other name that “means that to you”).  If you round trip again to PS just edit the “original” and all your LrC and PS layers are all there to be modified / added to / deleted as you see fit.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2022, 02:35:35 pm »

I would rather open the TIFF file in Photoshop and use the ACR Filter. You can create a new layer in PS and convert it to a smart object and apply the ACR filter to this new layer, so you can preserve both the ACR edits and the PS edits.

Opening a TIFF as a smart object will indeed preserve the LR edits, but it you have a multilayered tiff, it will be a flattened version of it.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2022, 03:10:16 pm »

So complicated.

You have a TIFF (or JPEG) you've edited in LR (as the OP desires). The edits are in the TIFF and until rendered with the TIFF, remain there. The edits thus far are non destructive, the TIFF is as it was prior to the parametric edits applied (it's just metadata).

You can open that TIFF into Adobe Camera Raw proper (not as a filter, no need) and you'll 'see' the edits there. Now what do you wish to do? When do you want to bake them into the actual pixel data?
I don't see based on the OP's post, what the need of a Smart Object or Adobe Camera Raw as a Filter does otherwise.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2022, 04:12:30 pm »

My understanding is that the OP wanted to do further editing of the TIFF file in PS after the LR edits have been made. How do you do that without rendering it?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2022, 04:31:14 pm »

My understanding is that the OP wanted to do further editing of the TIFF file in PS after the LR edits have been made. How do you do that without rendering it?
How would you do so with ACR as a filter as recommended?
What would ACR as a filter provide; it works on rendered data?
You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube after parametric editing and rendering.
You want to edit from LR or ACR and use PS tools; you render it. Toothpaste is out of the tube, SO's or ACR as a filter or otherwise. I asked and will again: Now what do you wish to do?

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2022, 04:41:27 pm »

Sorry if I did not explain correctly.

My suggestion is not to do any editing in LR, but open the TIFF file generated in Phocus into PS and do all the edits there. If you want to take advantage of the LR/ACR functionality, use ACR Filter as a smart filter.

Use LR only for cataloguing purposes and use open original when going to PS for further editing

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2022, 04:48:21 pm »

Sorry if I did not explain correctly.

My suggestion is not to do any editing in LR, but open the TIFF file generated in Phocus into PS and do all the edits there. If you want to take advantage of the LR/ACR functionality, use ACR Filter as a smart filter.

Use LR only for cataloguing purposes and use open original when going to PS for further editing

LR edits of TIFFs and ACR as a filter are not the same.
But we need the OP to tell us his workflow and parametric editing in LR.
There are many advantages to applying such edits in LR which the OP may be using.

hubell

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2022, 09:19:24 am »

After doing a "basic" rendering of a raw file from a Hasselblad X1D or X2D using Phocus to take advantage of the color rendering and lens adjustments in Phocus, I would like to export a TIFF that I can then use to make further adjustments with the much better tools available in LR (and ACR for that matter). However, that are certain things I nned to do that can only be done on a TIFF in Photoshop. Clean up of the image on a separate, empty layer above the Background Layer is one thing. Another is that I create a duplicate layer of the Background Layer in PS and apply Sharpen AI or Focus Magic to it. In the past, I have also done further tonal and color edits on adjustment layers in PS. However, I never went back and forth between LR and PS. Once I was out of LR, I stayed out of LR for further edits. I think the suggestion of opening the TIFF as a Smart Object in PS and then using ACR to make the kind of edits for which I would want to use LR may work, as that would allow me to go back and forth in PS to make or change edits on the Smart Object using the functionality of ACR. I have tried several time opening a raw file with LR edits in PS as a Smart Object, but the interaction between the Smart Object Layer and and other layers above it created a bit of havoc. For example, if I hade an empty clean up layer above the background layer with the Smart Object that I had used to clean up with the Stamp Tool or the Spot Healing Tool, if I made changes to the Smart Object, I would have to start over again to do the clean up. A similar problem would occur if I used a duplicate background layer on which I would apply Topaz Sharpen AI or Clarity.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2022, 09:32:46 am »

You can open the TIFF in ACR directly.
All the Smart Object does is embed it into a stack with other image data.
Normally one would embed the raw there. You don't have raw. You can just set ACR preferences to open TIFFs (or JPEG).
My suggestion is to apply all parametric edits (sure, in ACR) then draw a line and make pixel edits using Photoshop. KISS.

hubell

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2022, 09:16:34 pm »

You can open the TIFF in ACR directly.
All the Smart Object does is embed it into a stack with other image data.
Normally one would embed the raw there. You don't have raw. You can just set ACR preferences to open TIFFs (or JPEG).
My suggestion is to apply all parametric edits (sure, in ACR) then draw a line and make pixel edits using Photoshop. KISS.

I think this makes sense as a basic approach, but how do you open the TIFF in ACR directly from LR without opening it as a Smart Object?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2022, 09:43:38 pm »

I think this makes sense as a basic approach, but how do you open the TIFF in ACR directly from LR without opening it as a Smart Object?

There are a number of ways. Keep in mind, a TIFF or JPEG (for that matter anything) that can be edited in LR is just a document you can locate and open in ACR, it isn't in LR and the edits you made there are embedded into the container.

So you could simply locate the TIFF (Show in Finder Command) and, if you have your Adobe Camera Raw preferences set to edit JPEG/TIFFs, it should open there. You need to set the preferences for "Automatically Open TIFFs with settings". Those settings are of course, the parametric edits.

There's another way, not well known but it works too (and even if you have the preferences set NOT to do the above). If you want to open something other than JPEG/TIFFs in Adobe Camera Raw, even a PNG, with or without the preferences so set the 'trick' is opening them as if they were raw (which they are not of course) is by selecting Format menu as Camera Raw. TIFFs, JPEGs, even PNGs etc, open in ACR.

Now you're in Adobe Camera Raw, edit away or just keep editing in Lightroom Classic and render the edits and open that in Photoshop.

Pages: [1]   Go Up