Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One, iPads, and Medium Format  (Read 1516 times)

JoeKitchen

Capture One, iPads, and Medium Format
« on: December 17, 2022, 11:53:02 am »

It has been a 6 years or so since I looked at iPads, and at the time I did not think much of them when it came to doing any type of serious work.  Ours are currently that old and we use them mainly as ways to show off our portfolio to art buyers. 

However, with a second photo business I just started, having a smaller option to work other then my MacBook Pro could be get for some projects.  So I am looking at iPads again and wondering how well does C1 work with medium format files on one? 

I currently have a 60 MP back, but may upgrade to a 150 MP one depending on how business takes off next year.  I would need to be able to perform lens cast corrections, basic color correction and highlight/shadows recovery.  Is this possible?  Can you work with the raw file on a iPad? 

Can you perform basic stitching to panoramas on a iPad? 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Capture One, iPads, and Medium Format
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2022, 05:11:44 pm »

C1 for the iPad is a work in progress.   You will have the basic image corrections. But no layers.
Biggest issue is that C1 doesn’t support tethering for the IQ4. (Go figure). So images have to be over from a SD card to the iPad.

I would recommend a M1 or now M2 iPad as the performance is excellent for C1.

Not sure on the LCC correction process if it’s supported. But with the IQ4 I think you will find it’s not as important especially for lens cast. Light falloff on large shifts it would still help.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 10:27:57 am »

So tethering is supported for the IQ260?  How about on the smaller iPad Mini? 

One of my biggest grips about the 260 is the long exposure mode.  It appears to work very well so long as you over expose by 1.5 stops and then adjust the exposure in post by pulling it down 1.5 stops.  (I came to this by applying the fact that Phase 1 backs are ISOless.)  Doing this, you get significantly better noise reduction, albeit a slight loss to dynamic range. 

When working tethered to a laptop, this is easy to do.  When shooting to the card, you are kind of guessing if you are over by 1.5 stops. 

If I can not have any serious adjustments with C1 on the iPad, I would rather get the smallest one. 

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 05:11:13 pm »

It appears no phase back is supported for tethering for C1 on IPad at this time. I know the IQ4 is not and from what I have read all other Phase backs are also not supported. But a dealer would need to clarify this. I am still surprised that P1 and C1 can’t figure this out. Huge oversight.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

JoeKitchen

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2023, 11:49:10 am »

Thanks Paul.  Sounds like it is still in it beta mode. 

If they had decent tethering, that would be really nice especially for situations when having a laptop would be too cumbersome. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up