Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Missing ink cartridge (temporary) on Epson SC P8000  (Read 380 times)

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Missing ink cartridge (temporary) on Epson SC P8000
« on: December 04, 2022, 05:12:26 pm »

I got a little worried today when ready to start a print job (already paid for but I could have returned the cheque) as one of my ink cartridges went missing.

I had a low VLM so replaced it.  Ready to run a short test piece then a nozzle check before the job but the printer said PK was missing after accepting the new VLM.  PK is on the other side of the printer from VLM and I didn't even open both doors so no way was PK disturbed. 
I pulled and re-inserted PK and it seemed OK, but only for a moment then registered missing again.  2nd try the same but 3rd try was the charm.  It registered OK and stayed there, I got my test then prints made and it's still OK at the end of today though no more printing.
The PK is only 1/2 empty so I don't have a spare to try (in case the chip went bad) so I would have been SOL for this job, then just hoping a new cartridge would fix it once I had one.

My SC P8000 is 5 1/2 years old.

Anyone else had this problem on one of these generation Surecolor wide format printers? 
If you have was it a cartridge or the printer?

Thx

Mike
Note : Not panicking at all but might get a spare PK if that looks most likely the source.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: Missing ink cartridge (temporary) on Epson SC P8000
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 08:07:55 am »

Don't have much to help other then have you tried the old trick of taking an eraser over the chip and then reinserting.
They can be finicky sometimes. I had someone send me several p8000 700ml carts that could not be read by the printer. I inserted them in my printer and they both worked.
So it seems to be hit and miss.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 09:46:14 am »

Thanks Dan,
Yes, will try the eraser trick if it happens again.  My worst fear is that it might be the printer.  Not sure what I would do .. probably get another P8000 if the repair bill is too high although the one time service I used for a head replacement still seems to be available;
https://epson.com/Accessories/Printer-Accessories/One-Time-Service-Plan---EPWPSP1R44/p/EPWPSP1R44

deanwork

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 02:02:56 pm »

Try putting a couple of strips of folded paper thick enough to lift the cart up a little and also on the right  side to pull it to the left. Sometimes  the chip reader inside the printer will fail to make exact contact with the chip on the ink cart. This can happen over time if chip reading sensor becomes a hair loose. That’s a lot cheaper than having that unit replaced in a service call.

If it were me and the chips are making normal contact and it’s still failing  I would delete the driver and reinstall in case it’s a software glitch. Worth a try before you call for help.

John

Thanks Dan,
Yes, will try the eraser trick if it happens again.  My worst fear is that it might be the printer.  Not sure what I would do .. probably get another P8000 if the repair bill is too high although the one time service I used for a head replacement still seems to be available;
https://epson.com/Accessories/Printer-Accessories/One-Time-Service-Plan---EPWPSP1R44/p/EPWPSP1R44

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022, 02:29:16 pm »

Thanks John .. squirreled away as a todo if I run into this again.

My next step if the 3rd re-insert had not worked would have been a power cycle so I now have a few more things to try.

Still showing all cartridges today.
Pages: [1]   Go Up