Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Prograf 2000—shadow following gaps between prints in nested roll print lay  (Read 932 times)

cougar_daniels

Hello!

I'm a long time user of Canon Prograf 2000 printers in my school portrait business. I've been running two for several years, after retiring my Epson 7880s. These are very good printers, and mostly I've been pleased with them.

I want to say up front that I'm running InkOwl pigmented inks, refilling the Canon carts. I suspect that some on the forum will react to my query with an, "Aha! What did you expect?," so I want to get this out of the way. I ran these same inks in the Epson xx80 printers for years with zero issues, excellent print quality, and longevity that (appears to) rival the OEMs (I don't have 100 years to prove this nor did I run the kinds of tests Wilheim runs). Suffice to say, I have many happy clients and prints of my own that look great years later (I have nearly ten years using these inks, four plus with Canon PGF 2000!). Again: completely happy with third party (InkOwl) inks (see recommendation earlier in this forum).

Computer and software: running an older iMac 5K with i7 and 32GB RAM. OS =Big Sur 11.6.7. For years I used ImageNest, but recently switched to the excellent Qimage Q1 for page layout. I run Epson Premium Luster 24x100' rolls. [update: also printing from 2020 MBP 16” running Big Sur]

To the issue: this set up has worked just fine for several years. I've not changed the system, though I may have updated something inadvertently (but not majorly). I know—this is the uncontrolled variable. I have current Canon firmware and drivers.

The issues:
When I layout a print package—e.g., 8 wallets, 3–4x6s, 2–5x7s, 1–8x10, the Q1 clusters image for "best use" of paper. This means that I will have, say, the 8x10 vertically oriented in the top left corner of the page, two 5x7s running along its right edge, and wallets and 4x6s variously arranged next to those and variously on the page.

In the past, I have printed hundreds of prints on 8-10 foot long "spools" then cut them up for packages, with nary a problem.

I print the image file name below each print, in the white space between print images.

I started noticing that where white space aligned next to an adjacent print, there was a faint, but discernible shadow running all across the adjacent image—like a slightly dark band. For instance, in the space between the two 5x7s there was a slightly dark "streak” visible across the  image area, exactly following the gap between nested prints.

This would be especially visible where there was part of a face or a dark background. (Printing without file names produces the same effect, as does using Canon's Professional layout app)

I've done my best to capture this in the linked photo. Image Samples in this post

I have contacted the excellent tech support at Qimage (fabulous folks to work with!). They had me "print" to a PDF to determine if their app might be contributing to the issue. It doesn't not: the PDF is completely free of this. If I print the PDF, I have the shadows.

Gathering myself, I called Canon large format tech support. After a 30 minute hold I was transferred to a queue manger, who then "transferred" me to a tech, but along the way, the call was flushed. Of course! I called back, and 44 minutes later was speaking with a LEVEL 1 tech. Ugh.

This person I can only describe as mildly sadistic. After the outrageously, but not atypically long wait and get--rid-of-the-customer-tactic (let's just call it Canon's benign negligence or loyalty elimination program), the tech insisted on walking me through every step of the troubling shooting pathway, explaining several times as we went through areas of the Canon site how to spell Canon ("That's C-A-N-O-N). I’m a patient person, but I could feel the seams straining.

A number of her suggestions were completely valid—such as getting current firmware—and testing with Canon's own Professional layout app (done, and same symptoms).

She admitted to having ":just enough experience" with these printers "to do her job." It was obvious that she preferred the linear troubleshooting tree to feet on the ground. Basically, Canon (or this tech) has zero experience with these symptoms, and even less curiosity about possible causes.

After nearly 1.5 hours on the phone, she saved the best for last, explaining that unless I could provide my printers had print heads within warranty (I have one new print head in one of the prints, but it's more than two years old), I shouldn't expect that too much more would be done. If I replaced the print head ($800) and flushed all of the third party inks, Canon would be very happy to help.

So here I am! Any one have any ideas?

I would be very grateful.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 10:43:59 pm by cougar_daniels »

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield

I can't really help with a solution but a couple of questions;

In the 2 images linked, the dark area at the top (grey 1st image and blue 2nd) has the shadow.  Which direction is the paper running?  ie is blue/grey coming out 1st or is it the nested prints below with the white gap? 
I assume it's printing horizontally? ie 90 degrees to the shadow?
In your layout do you have any white spaces that interest with the side of some images (rather than top /bottom).  If so what do they look like?  If not can you create one and see hat it shows?
Can you print out that "clean" pdf directly using Q1?  If so what does it look like?  Make a smaller version to test if necessary but verify on a straight print the shadows exist.
If you can't print out the pdf can you convert it back to a single image and try that.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield

Another thought for troubleshooting individual heads/colours;

I don't remember which head has what colours but to try to troubleshoot if it starts looking like that might be the cause.  Make up some solid colour squares as close as possible to the ink colours and set them up in a layout that causes a problem.  See if any of them are good/bad to ID a head and/or specific colours.  Also try with a greyscale block (pure grey, not b&w from colour).

Lastly, a weird test perhaps.  Have you tried a print with no titles?

Simon J.A. Simpson

I'm not sure I can help you, but I have a thought…

I have a Canon PRO-1000 (aka Prograf 1000), baby brother/sister of the 2000.

I'm just wondering whether the Chroma Optimiser is not printing in the gap between the two smaller images and carrying over into the print area of the larger image ?

From your pictures I'm not sure in which direction the head is travelling relative to the orientation of the images and whether this could have anything to do with your problem.

In the set-up for my PRO-1000 I have the Chroma Optimiser preferences set to 'Auto'.  There is also an option for 'Overall'.  This might improve your results ?

cougar_daniels

Thank you so much for the thoughtful responses!

Let's address them, best I can:

1. Good thought. The "shadow" follows both any space and any "end-of-print," such as a 3x5 next to a 6x9. The 6x9 has a shadow starting at the end point the 3x5--just the same as a gap between two smaller prints, only the shadow-gap is wider (1/2"). I'm using "overall" for the Optimizer, BTW.
2. I have printed with no titles and I've printed with no spaces (smaller to tiny shadows).
3. The shadows appear in adjacent prints whether orientation is 0° or 90°. In short, orientation has no effect. Good query though, as you'd think the back and forth movement or the head would align with the shadows. But not.

Simon J.A. Simpson

It might be worth getting a loupe and taking a look at the 'shadow' areas to see what's there.

Presumably the printer is laying down some ink ?  It might be enlightening to see what colour ink/s are there.  If it is only one colour that might suggest it is a problem with the head; if it's multiple colours that might suggest it could be a software problem ?

One way of diagnosing these problems is to try getting a condition where the problem is absent (can you make any prints without the 'shadow' ?) then by a process of elimination find what is causing the problem.  And the Law of General Cussedness predicts it will probably be something obscure !

cougar_daniels

Indeed, the law of cussedness is upon me!

So, I want to emphasize that this "shadow" band the width of the adjacent print space (or 1/4" when there's an adjacent print ending--paper below the ending print) is subtle. You might miss it, but it's always there, and often ruinous.

Good question: perhaps one cartridge isn't represented. However, as the stripe is darker, I want to think that all colors are represented. It's as though the printer were following the logic of, "when adjacent white space, print corresponding slightly darker stripe in adjacent print area."

Cussing....

degrub

driver issue ?
does removing, re-booting, and re-installing  driver fresh help / change the issue ?
What about installing on a different machine ?

It is almost as if printing was carried into the wrong area (don't print here, dump it all over there logic) which makes me wonder about a corrupted intermediate file being created.

To me, it almost looked like a head smear (excess ink outside of the individual nozzle or picking up from adjacent area) or paper strike by head.

Any chance of a loose cable connection at either end or along the cable ?
No idea otherwise, just a couple thoughts.

cougar_daniels

All good suggestions:

I've investigate head-to-paper-distance, reinstalled (latest) drivers, and printed from a different (and much newer) Mac. I've run the auto-adjust for heads and for paper feed. Cables are tight. Again, image quality is generally excellent! But these shadows...

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield

Unless I misunderstood something.  You mentioned that you get the shadows at 0 and 90 degree orientation, ie across and along the print head movement.

If I got that right then it could not possibly be a mechanical issue (cartridge or head).   I believe it has to be way the driver is creating the data that the printer uses.

I'll suggest again that you try printing that clean PDF you created when discussing the problem with Qimage.  If a PDF will not print directly, open and convert it to an image and print that.

Try one (or both) of the Imageprint RIPs.  RED will run with the printer driver and Black uses their own custom "driver" (if that's the right word).  I think you can try out RED, not sure about Black.  They both have great layout options.  There are videos on PhotoPXL

cougar_daniels

I appreciate the replies and the community support in problem solving!

I reiterate: I have TWO ProGraf 2000s exhibiting exactly the same symptoms at the same time, whether using Q1 or Canon Professional layout app; symptoms are the same whether printing from the app. or a PDF. All drivers have been cleansed and replaced with latest-greatest from Canon. I've printed from two different Macs, both running Big Sur. Have updated printer firmware to latest versions. Have cleaned heads (one pointer has a recent head replacement). Have run test patterns for nozzle check, auto feed, and auto align. All check out fine.

Source files vary—have tried with numerous samples (before discovering the problem, I ran about 10' of paper with dozens of print packages, all with stripe shadows as described).

degrub

do you have the option to install drivers/software on a windows machine and see if the problem follows ?

i believe you mentioned that it printed correctly as a pdf file ?
That would, in my mind, point to a driver/firmware or software output selection/option/misinterpretation of the file type of issue.

frustrating.

cougar_daniels

Hi all and latest respondents. Thank you all!

As a twenty year inkjet troubleshooting veteran, this one has definitely "got me."

To some of the latest:
1. Same results from PDF or JPEG (print to file) files. Printing from Photoshop and other apps.
2. I thought perhaps the color profile might be a factor. Tried with alt profiles--same result.
3. Can't easily test a Windows version—but very good thought, in terms of isolating issues. OS X has a history of messing up stable printing set ups.

Some headway!

I tried printing using 'unidirectional' printing (Advanced Settings) and it reduced or eliminated the shadow stripe. According to Canon, this setting allows for more precise control of the paper / head movement.

Hmmm. Again: these symptoms appeared upon first use on a mildly updated (OS X) system on TWO ProGraf 2000s and are reproducible on two different gen Macs (2014, 2021) running Big Sur (same versions). Print quality is excellent otherwise.

D White

• Don White
    • iStock

I have had a Pr0-2000 since 2017.

I am no expert, but are we not always to use unidirectional for the best output, even on Epson units?
Dr D White DDS BSc

Simon J.A. Simpson

If I've understood correctly, it seems to me that of all the things you have tried the one thing in common here is the print layout itself; maybe that's where the problem lies ?

Have you tried creating a single Photoshop file with a simple arrangement of grey rectangles, mimicking your layout of images, and then printing direct from this file ? 

If the file prints fine then this would suggest that the issue is something to do with the print layout or Qimage.  If the same banding is printed then it would suggest that this is something to do with the printer, or the printing ‘pipeline’.

I'm not suggesting this as a solution but as a way of trying to eliminate where the problem might lie.

cougar_daniels

Very good troubleshooting suggestion: create subject and app agnostic file.

So, I have created other files outside of Qimage and they exhibit the exact problem, but not a series of "displaced" blocks.  Thank you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up