Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The weather was so bad, the rain was actually going up!!!  (Read 274 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
The weather was so bad, the rain was actually going up!!!
« on: December 03, 2022, 01:35:28 pm »

Image 1 - Gale force storms had been forecast the night before and they weren't wrong, in fact I think it must have wound itself up to hurricane force winds by the time I took this shot. The wind was absolutely raging across the sea in front of us and actually pushing the water up from the sea and into the air and then further on up into the clouds. So yes, we were there to witness rain going upwards, which was absolutely amazing to see and something I think neither of us will ever have the chance to witness again.

If you look towards the bottom left third of this image, you will see what appears to be a darker double helix shape (a bit like a figure eight) set against the hills in the background and is how tremendously strong the winds were and how they were creating these overlapping vortices in the middle of the maelstrom.

Image 2 - Is yet another shot, showing you just how mad the weather was during our visit to Sutherland.

When we were about to leave where we were staying a few days later, the lady who owns the place, came around to personally apologise for how bad the weather had been during our stay and how she had never known anything like it and how we must be both be so disappointed to have been here at this time...? No I said, we have loved every single minute of it and will be coming back soon for some more.

What an amazing place for photography Sutherland is and we have both been completely blown away by it (forgive the pun) and all I can say is wow, just WOW!!!

We were staying up near Cape Wrath by the way and now I know why it was given that name  ;)

Dave
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 05:20:35 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Arlen

Re: The weather was so bad, the rain was actually going up!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2022, 04:40:57 pm »

What an amazing story and experience, Dave. And from your images I can see that what you endured was all worth it. I really love the first one.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 06:00:03 pm by Arlen »

RMW

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2022, 05:16:21 pm »

Yes to all of it!

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 03:35:40 am »

Well done.

francois

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022, 05:15:46 am »

Captivating story and the shots just do justice to your adventure. Of course, they are well worth the cold, windy and rainy storms.
Thanks for sharing!
Francois

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022, 05:25:25 am »

Thanks everyone  ;)

Yes it was an amazing experience.

We thought we were going for a nice relaxing week, where I could do a bit of scouting for locations, that I could then add onto the growing list of free chapters section of my website, but it turned out to be the most photographic and most exciting holiday of our lives.

So thanks again for all your comments..

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up