Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One 23, giving it another study, Questions  (Read 1527 times)

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
Capture One 23, giving it another study, Questions
« on: November 19, 2022, 11:46:02 am »

Several times I have tried Capture One and abandoned it and returned to PS, never cared for LR.
I shoot 99% landscapes.  I've used the C1 Express Fuji to just rip my RAW files then do all my work in PS.

However, I am finding the Style Brushes/Layers of real interest and they may be what gets me to part with
my cash and buy C1.  Not real impressed so far with the Styles and Presets, I prefer to build "my look".

What deterred me before was the logic of Catalogs, I don't need a database with its risks and limitation.
My logic, on internal SSD (Mac Ultra 1TB SSD) is a directory in the Mac OS as such, simple:
Photography
     Camera (brand, model)
          Country
               Location/Topic
                    RAW
                    Tiff Converted
                    Master (where I do all of my work and the "Final Master" is stored.
                    Prints  (obviously keep different size files here so I do not have to rebuild each time)

It's just that simple and have worked for me for decades.

Now, I stumbled by accident across a series of videos on C1 done by a chap "Pal2Tech" and he has a group of
videos focused on C1, Tutorials 1-5 as I recall.  I found them to be quite good and logical BUT he pointed out that you do NOT have to use "Catalogs"!  That was the first time I heard that.  He uses strictly "Sessions" and sets them up the way he wants to work with the Mac OS.

I've done experiments and finding I agree, Sessions seems to come close to what I'm comfortable with.

Now, I normally work a project completely on my internal 1TB SSD to avoid any lag time, then when the project is done I transfer out to a Thunder Bolt 4.0 external drive for storage or retrieval later to rework.

OK, so that is the given.

Now my questions:
1.  Delete a Catalog, just move the "Capture" files (in my logic the Master) and then delete the "Catalog" C1 created?
If I work only with Sessions and never use the Catalog logic, will my record of Layer/Brushes work be saved in the Sessions folders?  I don't want to loose the tools that I used to create the image.

2.  Is there any way to Alter the names of the files that C1 creates when I make a Session in some type of Preferences setting?  I've looked but can't find such.  Seems it would be nice if we could build our own default sets of the folders automatically created when you create each new Session.

3.  I have a 4K Ultra monitor, is there a way in C1 to have the alpha characters in the tool set menus and "columns" larger to read with out messing with my default OS monitor res?

4.  When I exit C1, then enter later I want the tools in the columns to be open as I left them.  I do not want them to "compress" when I exit and thus have to open each one again individually.  Is that possible?

5.  In PS, say I want to do an 11x14 print and drop the image file into it with borders AND add a digital signature. 
Is PS I save the image as say 9.5x 11, build a "Canvas" of 11x14 and then position the image onto the canvas.
I then drag my "digital signature" onto the canvas and position it where I want.

Then save the composite and it's ready to go.
I have not found a way to do that in C1, is it possible and if so how?

Guidance on my above thoughts/questions appreciated.
Jack

UnfamiliarLight

• Unfamiliar Light
Re: Capture One 23, giving it another study, Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 09:45:40 am »

Now my questions:
1.  Delete a Catalog, just move the "Capture" files (in my logic the Master) and then delete the "Catalog" C1 created?
If I work only with Sessions and never use the Catalog logic, will my record of Layer/Brushes work be saved in the Sessions folders?  I don't want to loose the tools that I used to create the image.
I'm not clear on what you are asking about deleting a catalogue. But regarding sessions yes your settings, layers etc are remembered by the session - as long as you don't delete the files.

2.  Is there any way to Alter the names of the files that C1 creates when I make a Session in some type of Preferences setting?  I've looked but can't find such.  Seems it would be nice if we could build our own default sets of the folders automatically created when you create each new Session.
You can make a template for new sessions: https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002522998-Creating-a-Session-template

I am not sure that you can create sub folders but you can change the names of the top level ones and save smart albums etc. I have one that I use (I do not have it create sub folders though).

3.  I have a 4K Ultra monitor, is there a way in C1 to have the alpha characters in the tool set menus and "columns" larger to read with out messing with my default OS monitor res?

4.  When I exit C1, then enter later I want the tools in the columns to be open as I left them.  I do not want them to "compress" when I exit and thus have to open each one again individually.  Is that possible?
I am not totally sure about these.

5.  In PS, say I want to do an 11x14 print and drop the image file into it with borders AND add a digital signature. 
Is PS I save the image as say 9.5x 11, build a "Canvas" of 11x14 and then position the image onto the canvas.
I then drag my "digital signature" onto the canvas and position it where I want.
That is something that C1 cannot do. C1 can add signatures to output but not borders.
Pages: [1]   Go Up