Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mirrorless recommendations for my Canon EF lenses?  (Read 1749 times)

Dinarius

Mirrorless recommendations for my Canon EF lenses?
« on: November 15, 2022, 01:35:18 pm »

I use a Canon 5D MkIV, which I want to keep. I have about to 10 lenses for it - all Canon except for a (sublime!) Sigma 85mm.

I want to buy a mirrorless camera that will allow me to use these lenses, with an adapter.

For this second camera body, I have no brand loyalty. I need it for tv and film work, so it has to be as quiet as possible.

It doesn’t have to have a high pixel count either.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

D.

TheNinth

• The Ninth
Re: Mirrorless recommendations for my Canon EF lenses?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 10:57:59 pm »

I would stick with Canon, since their mirrorless cameras come with a native implementation of the EF protocol. The Canon adapters from RF to EF are therefore relatively simple devices, only needing to bridge the difference in physical mounts.

Adapting your lenses to bodies of other brands involves adapters that need to translate the brands lens protocols to EF, and thus also include a third party implementation of EF, similar to third party lenses for EF. This may or may not work well but is for sure more error prone.

Within the Canon world, it sounds like the R6 might be worth a look, if you don‘t need the megapixels. However, if your budget allows for it, the R5 might bring you closer to what you are used to from the 5D in terms of body design and build quality. Both support fully silent shooting.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 05:45:02 am by TheNinth »
My website: www.the-ninth.com

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2022, 06:22:22 am »

I agree with the post above.  Smart adapters to Sony cameras have definitely improved but still don't give the performance of the "native" Canon EF to RF converter so far as I've read. 

Staying with Canon for your mirrorless camera also means you can migrate to RF lenses in the future.

Dinarius

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2022, 08:02:21 am »

What you both write makes sense, thanks.

Reviews of the R6 were a bit iffy, I thought.

Reviews of the R6 II are more promising.

24Mps would be enough for me.

D.

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2022, 09:44:45 am »

24Mps would be enough for me.
And R6's 20Mpx will be enough too, since the difference between 20Mpx and 24Mpx is negligible (you must think pixel count is bidimensional).

Regards

Frodo

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2022, 01:28:06 am »

I have an R5 and R, and had an R6.  All work fine on adapted EF lenses. In fact they are better than on a 5D series because focusing is better and eye tracking is a revelation. I have a friend whose Sigma lenses needed a firmware update to work 100% on her R6.
I had a very positive experience with the R6.  Indeed the 20MP is an ideal size for events and weddings when 20MP is normally enough.  But I found that it wasn't enough for larger prints with cropping and was traded for an R5. I shoot cRAW to reduce file sizes without noticeable loss in quality, but I wish it were possible to shoot 20MP files in the R5 in full frame mode.

Pigeonhill

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2023, 02:53:42 am »

I’m a little late adding to this, but I’m someone who transitioned from EOS 5D3 to fully mirrorless, I can recommend the ‘2nd hand’ route.

I have a lot of EOS glass, and decided to buy a 2nd hand R, which allowed me to explore various adapters. All great fun.

As my 5D3 was fully Magic Lantern enabled, as were by EOS Ms (visible, full spectrum and IR), I missed ML on my R.

This is why I purchased 2nd hand M3 and M10, which I got IR converted, as they run CHDK, which allows me to carry on with my Lua scripting.

You can read about all my scripting, and access my scripts, at photography.grayheron.net
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 02:58:11 am by Pigeonhill »
Pages: [1]   Go Up