Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Accessing "Custom" media type in Canon Professional Print and Layout  (Read 1078 times)

mark@markvanderkam.com

This is my first post. I wanted to share this after spending hours trying to figure this out.

To add a new media type to a Canon printer (in my case, Lyve canvas from Breathing Color), I successfully went through all the steps of importing an AM1x file (from the Breathing Color website with the ICC profiles) via the Media Configuration Tool (in Windows) and then updating the driver.

When I looked on my actual printer, the Canon Pro-4100, I can see the new media type in the list on the touch screen. However, when I open Canon Professional Print and Layout (CPPL), there is no sign of the new media type in the Media Type drop down.

I tried rebooting. I reinstalled the AM1x file 2-3 times, to no avail. CPPL just does not show the new media type, but it is on my printer, and it is visible in the Media Configuration Tool list.

Then I finally found the way to add custom media in Professional Print & Layout (PPL) !!!

In addition of adding custom media with the Media Configuration Tool and updating the printer driver, you must do the following in PPL.

1) Go into the file menu

2) Select the "Other Settings" option

3) Click on the Add/Update Media Information

This links the new media type, added with the Media Configuration Tool, with Canon PPL. After these steps, I can select my custom media in the Media Type drop down list.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Re: Accessing "Custom" media type in Canon Professional Print and Layout
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2022, 07:27:36 am »

This is my first post. I wanted to share this after spending hours trying to figure this out.

To add a new media type to a Canon printer (in my case, Lyve canvas from Breathing Color), I successfully went through all the steps of importing an AM1x file (from the Breathing Color website with the ICC profiles) via the Media Configuration Tool (in Windows) and then updating the driver.

When I looked on my actual printer, the Canon Pro-4100, I can see the new media type in the list on the touch screen. However, when I open Canon Professional Print and Layout (CPPL), there is no sign of the new media type in the Media Type drop down.

I tried rebooting. I reinstalled the AM1x file 2-3 times, to no avail. CPPL just does not show the new media type, but it is on my printer, and it is visible in the Media Configuration Tool list.

Then I finally found the way to add custom media in Professional Print & Layout (PPL) !!!

In addition of adding custom media with the Media Configuration Tool and updating the printer driver, you must do the following in PPL.

1) Go into the file menu

2) Select the "Other Settings" option

3) Click on the Add/Update Media Information

This links the new media type, added with the Media Configuration Tool, with Canon PPL. After these steps, I can select my custom media in the Media Type drop down list.

Open the printer driver setup window, on the Maintenance tab, click Update Media Information, Execute
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022, 05:02:30 am »

Open the printer driver setup window, on the Maintenance tab, click Update Media Information, Execute

Hi Marcin, (or anyone else!)perhaps you can help me...?

I have a Canon iPF8400 and I use a MacPro with OS Monterey....the problem started about two years ago and I tried to solve it then but only yesterday did another penny drop!

In terms of Custom Media Type, I could not access my custom media settings from the printer driver. For some reason, I thought the problem was with the Media Configuration Tool, but yesterday I noticed for the first time that the "Custom" option does not even appear! (See attached picture).

In the meantime I have been using the suggested media settings in the "Special" menu.

Thank you in advance...

William.

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

TheNinth

• The Ninth
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2022, 10:33:04 pm »

In terms of Custom Media Type, I could not access my custom media settings from the printer driver. For some reason, I thought the problem was with the Media Configuration Tool, but yesterday I noticed for the first time that the "Custom" option does not even appear! (See attached picture).

The Custom option only appears if there are actual custom media types loaded into the printer driver. Did you perform that step? You have to go into the Maintenance tab of the printer driver and choose Update Media Information there.

If that does not help, the next question is whether you can see the custom media types on the printers operating panel?
My website: www.the-ninth.com

William Walker

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022, 12:39:55 am »

The Custom option only appears if there are actual custom media types loaded into the printer driver. Did you perform that step? You have to go into the Maintenance tab of the printer driver and choose Update Media Information there.

If that does not help, the next question is whether you can see the custom media types on the printers operating panel?

Hi Robert, thanks for the info.

Firstly, there is no "Update Media Information" option in the printer's maintenance tab, and yes, the custom media types are showing on the printer itself. (See attached photos).

Thanks!

William.
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

TheNinth

• The Ninth
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022, 11:36:16 pm »

Firstly, there is no "Update Media Information" option in the printer's maintenance tab, and yes, the custom media types are showing on the printer itself. (See attached photos).

Sorry, then I am not sure how the iPF8400 driver works in that regard. I‘d still assume the extra step of loading the custom media type into the printer driver is needed, but not sure how it is performed with the iPF8400 driver.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 01:38:44 am by TheNinth »
My website: www.the-ninth.com

William Walker

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2022, 12:19:36 am »

Sorry, then I am not sure how the iPF8400 driver works in that regard. I‘d still assume the extra step of loading the custom media type into the printer is needed, but not sure how it is performed with the iPF8400 driver.

Thank you anyway! :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up