Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: usb-c lightroom tether and power Canon R7 at the same time  (Read 1470 times)

nairb

usb-c lightroom tether and power Canon R7 at the same time
« on: November 06, 2022, 01:48:47 am »

I've been searching around all kinds of sites this evening trying to find out if it's possible to tether an R7 to lightroom and power the camera at the same time all via a single usb-c/thunderbolt cable.  All I've been able to find is how people are powering the camera only, without also tethering to lightroom/capture one.  The R7 can be powered via it's usb-c port when turned on with a battery in it (when turned off it will charge the battery via the cable).

My idea for this is to be using a powered 96w or 100w thunderbolt 3/4 dock with the PD port going to the camera, then the computer data connection would be via one of the other type c/thunderbolt ports on the dock.  The Macbook pro would be powered with it's normal wall charger.  Has anyone tried this with one of the Thunderbolt docking stations that are quite popular lately, like the Caldigit TB4 dock.  I assume since thunderbolt\usb-c is bi-directional that the PD port wouldn't necessarily have to only be going to a computer but could send power to a camera while also receiving data from the camera.  I'm helping a friend set up a film copying station so we'd want the camera powered for long sessions of film duplication. 

I've powered my D850 with the AC power adapter that uses the dummy battery while also tethering via usb 3 and I see there is a similar dr-e6 set up for the 5D series that B&H shows as being compatible with the R/R5/R6.  You'd think that now that these cameras can charge and tether via usb-c which can do both simultaneously, that they'd be able to make use of that capability.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: usb-c lightroom tether and power Canon R7 at the same time
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 07:27:42 pm »

I don't know about the R7 but my experience with other cameras is that you won't charge a battery over USB in use. The best you can hope for is to maintain or extend the charge while shooting. Cameras take a lot of power and most USB ports don't put out much power.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

nairb

Re: usb-c lightroom tether and power Canon R7 at the same time
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2022, 10:21:01 pm »

Thanks for the response Bob.  I was never trying to charge while shooting as I mentioned in the original post, only to be able to power the camera while shooting tethered. 

I had reached out to OWC to also ask if what I described above would be possible with their docks/hubs and they responded saying that the host port would only be recognized with a computer and not a camera, so I guess it might not be possible.  Unless someone with all the described equipment and either the same or a similar camera with the same capabilities wants to try it to see if it may actually work.  Manufacturers do have a tendency to avoid saying something will work if it wasn't specifically tested to do be able to do so.
Pages: [1]   Go Up