Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scanning b&w - Plustek 8100 & SF  (Read 933 times)

FrankG

Scanning b&w - Plustek 8100 & SF
« on: November 03, 2022, 07:43:19 am »

Silverfast SE+ 9

I’m trying to scan 35mm b&w negatives as 16bit Tifs
I can do 8 bit but the SF settings for 16 on this version produce a file that appears to need their HDR processing  program which is very costly.
Can anyone suggest a workaround to get 16 bit Tifs
I have Ps and ACR

Thanks

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
Re: Scanning b&w - Plustek 8100 & SF
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 02:04:06 pm »

You would need to upgrade to Silverfast AI Studio or change software to VueScan

FrankG

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 10:55:44 pm »

Thanks. Yes, you’re right. But I have found that I can get good results in Ps with Invert and Levels and Curves layers

bellevuefineart

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 03:35:47 pm »

I recently made the switch from scanners (Nikon Coolpix 9000) to using a digital camera to scan slides, transparencies and negatives. After watching a number of youtube videos and some lens tests, I've decided it's time to throw the scanners away. For 35mm slides, 120 medium format and 4x5 transparencies, I'm now using a Fuji GFX100, a Pentax Macro lens and a 5K light table. With this you can make 16bit B&W Tif files.

The results so far have been incredible, with fantastic shadow detail and resolution. I'm getting at least 2400PPI, but for 35mm and 120 medium format its more in the range of 4000ppi +.

I'm wondering if others have also started to make the transition to shooting film with digital to digitize slides and negatives.

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2023, 02:27:29 pm »

I just got my Nikon Super Coolscan 8000 repaired and up and running using Vuescan. I am very excited to get it running again. I am 86 years old and have a lifetime of negatives as well as those of my father's from the 1930s. I have a GFX 100S and considered a macro setup to copy old negatives but getting a light source and getting the negative and camera focal plane parallel was too daunting for me. We down sized to a smaller home so we do not have the room to set up camera and light source, tripod etc  permanently. My scanner never worked better now that I have Stephan Scharf's modular custom 3D printed film holders.
Dave in NJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up